Ipod Went Through Washing Machine

skutr

My son didn't take his Ipod out of his pocket & it went through the washer. I have it in a ziploc bag with instant rice and a dessicant pack I got from work. Any other tips or tricks?

Thanks
Skutr

ps. My son paid for it himself - so I'm not out $. If it doesn't work it will be a good & expensive lesson.

michaeladams

as long as you washed it with a little bleach it should be alright just as long as you pad the thing before running it through the drier.lol sorry anonomoose i couldn't resist.

michaeladams

on the serious side i think it is hit or miss.i have a cheap motorola cell phone that went through washer and fell off a car at 55 mph and survived.good luck and i hope your kid doesn't have to learn the hard way like i have so many times.

taylor6400

If you didnt try to turn it on while wet you have the best chance...along with straight into the rice. Basically your only shot. I have had a few phones get wet. I always lay them in front of my dehumidifier and its worked both times. But that was before i read about the rice. I still mgiht do that for a day then into the rice. Maybe change the rice one time?

polarisrider1

I would use minute rice myself! That way it will be up and running quicker! Ipods?? what the heck is a Ipod? I must be old school, and If you need any help with 8 tracks just contact me!

Skidooski

Do you use regular rice, whole grain, minute rice or Uncle Ben's? Sorry couldn't resist. Hope all works out OK.

lofsfire

If you can open it up as much as possible and use the rice or dehumidifier that will help. Sometimes the batteries will go but the unit will still be good. I don't have an I-pod so I do not know if it can be pulled out and swaped with a friends easily.

Basically what I have found is if it is off when it hits the water it will be ok, if its on it has more of a chance of being a paper weight. If it was on, hopefully it was banged around in the washer enough to power it down. I got lucky with and old cell phone that way.

anonomoose

as long as you washed it with a little bleach it should be alright just as long as you pad the thing before running it through the drier.lol sorry anonomoose i couldn't resist.

Ahh....yah beat me to it!:D

Trick here is to keep it warm to prevent corrosion from forming. Not sure the rice thing, but leaving it on a warm surface or warmed with a hair dryer might be effective.

As others have said on here, if the machine was turned on...there probably isn't much hope, but if it was off, you have a good chance so long as you wait a long time to be sure the moisture has evaporated off.

Now was that a FRONT LOAD WASHER, OR TOP LOADER....everyone knows that all you need to correct a front loader is to pour some vinegar in there and then dry it off with a good dry towel after each use (man I don't take care of anything like that...no matter what it is!)

Whatever you do...check the filter because you might be able to find enough change in there to buy a new Ipod!!:)

700classic

I would use minute rice myself! That way it will be up and running quicker! Ipods?? what the heck is a Ipod? I must be old school, and If you need any help with 8 tracks just contact me!
Just remember with the 8-tracks don't let the book of matches you wedge on top go thru the washer. They will never play right if that happens.

fcat700

We had the same thing happen. I let it dry for a week or so and it worked but the battery wouldn’t hold a charge so we had to replace the battery. They say you can't replace the battery but you can, there available on web sites, good luck. PZ

kevisip

You people make me sick!! With all your high teck electronics and your pocket music machines getting all damaged.....!!! Don't ya know that 1 out of 8 Americans are starving to death (so says PBO), and your cooking your rice to save these chinese made musical marvels, think about those poor starving children in china, texas, and yes, Canada!! Its time we changed our ways, and start singing in church instead....!! AMEN!!!

D

Deleted member 10829

I know a guy that got his cell phone wet and wrapped it up good in a towel and duct taped the towel closed and ran it through the dryer. The phone worked fine after that.

skutr

Update - tried it this morning & no luck. I'm going to try hair dryer when I get home. The towel & duct tape sounds good, but what color duct tape?

Skutr
ps - it was a top load washer

frnash

It's usually a good idea to disassemble the 'lectronic product (as perhaps a keyboard) as much as possible, then flood it liberally with distilled water, then blow dry (no heat), then leave it lightly wrapped in a towel in the shade in da Arizona desert (relative humidity 4-8%) for 12 hours or so. Then reassemble the assorted bits.

The distilled water flush is particularly important if you've managed to get something in it that's sweet, sticky, corrosive, or otherwise nasty.

(Don't ask!) :)

anonomoose

It's usually a good idea to disassemble the 'lectronic product (as perhaps a keyboard) as much as possible, then flood it liberally with distilled water, then blow dry (no heat), then leave it lightly wrapped in a towel in the shade in da Arizona desert (relative humidity 4-8%) for 12 hours or so. Then reassemble the assorted bits.

The distilled water flush is particularly important if you've managed to get something in it that's sweet, sticky, corrosive, or otherwise nasty.

(Don't ask!) :)

So nutherwords, you squashed a cinomun bun to your keyboard once and had to do all dis stuff to make it work again and dis is y... your puter sometimes types in dark letters cause the key is still stuck??? Oh, and should your wash your hands from sticky stuff before you "reassemble the ***-orted bits"????

(see daht...finger got stuck typ'n dat last word a cuple back or two)

skutr

I plugged it in this morning & I got it to take a charge and turn on, play music, radio, videos & pictures. The screen is a little messed up but at least it works. I put it back into the rice bowl & tomorrow maybe back on the charger. Hopefully the screen comes back