IQ Shift grinding by drivers

I am studding my 2010 600 IQ Shift and took the belt off so I can move the track freely. While I spin the track by hand it sounds like there is some grinding noise by the drive cogs. It doesn't do it all the time and when it starts to do it, if I reverse the track and then go forward again, it won't do it for 1 revolution. Then when it gets back around it'll do it again. I'm not sure whats causing this or if its a problem. Anyone experience this? Thanks

markf419

Did you loose your stud template? :) I've had rusty track clips make noise. Did you ck the drive axle bearings.

zimmbob

Does it do it at the same point on the track each time? Maybe it rubs funny on the drivers or on the tunnel on one spot. "grinding" as you say, could be many sounds, I'd think grinding is like metal on metal, so perhaps a better description of the sound might help. Rubber squeeking? Plastic grinding/rubbing? Middle of the sled or one side?

I would think if it goes away for a while and then comes back, it's not a bearing, that would be constant. Could be vibration from the chain tightener perhaps? maybe a little chatter from that? Or your break pads rubbing funny at times...

willey

I have seen on my friends shift 136" he had that there was some track clearance issues width wise. Do you have any chunking happening to the outiside of the track?

Thanks guys. Willey, there is no chunking on the sides of the track I have clearance there.

I looked closer tonight and it is not a metal on metal grinding. Also bearings are good. It is just making noise from the drivers rubbing on the track. It does it at random intervals though. And its louder than you might expect. My track too tight? I checked tonight and I have about 3/4" of natural sag when in the air. That sound right?

zimmbob

I THINK it's suppposed to be like about 1 1/2 inch sag with a 10lb weight. but you want it as loose as you can without slipping. if you have no slip drivers, that lets you keep it pretty loose. if they are new, I think typically they want a break in period where you keep it a little tight. At leats that's what my new Wahl Bros Racing drivers said when I just put them on....

markf419

Yesterday, I prepped my dad's '05 rev 500ss. Pulled the skid out, replaced shock, slides, greased and reinstalled. Run it to align the track and was making noise up by the drivers, even after aligning and tensioning the track. Didn't do it before we pulled it. Kinda sounded like a loud crackling sound. At first I thought it might be guide clips hitting the front of the slides, but was definitely coming from up by the sprockets. We over tightened the track a bit and it went away.

xcsp

I agree with zimmbob, 1-1/2" sag is about right, maybe a bit more would be okay too. Better this way than too tight!!

With no snow in there to lubricate between the plastic and rubber, could be some friction? Could take and spray a little water inside the track and rotate it by hand and see if that makes any difference. Just a thought.