Iron county Opener

MKW

Dropped in yesterday(Thursday) morning at the gas station in Gile. Rode south to Island lake, then Mercer. Then east of Mercer to Fischer Lake, then back to Hurley then west out to the Penokee mine and back to Gile. Trails were awesome! Only met about a dozen sleds all day put on 145 miles. We were the first official snowmobilers of the year at Willy's Still on Island Lake. The new owners are great, would highly recommend stopping there. Came home last night before the south invades the area for the weekend!! Thanks to Iron county clubs for getting things in shape and opening early, its great for the local economy. Should be a great season!

1fujifilm

Dropped in yesterday(Thursday) morning at the gas station in Gile. Rode south to Island lake, then Mercer. Then east of Mercer to Fischer Lake, then back to Hurley then west out to the Penokee mine and back to Gile. Trails were awesome! Only met about a dozen sleds all day put on 145 miles. We were the first official snowmobilers of the year at Willy's Still on Island Lake. The new owners are great, would highly recommend stopping there. Came home last night before the south invades the area for the weekend!! Thanks to Iron county clubs for getting things in shape and opening early, its great for the local economy. Should be a great season!

Good report from someone who is actually riding the trails, thank you.

Willy's, wow; how old are the new owners?

Bear

MKW

New owners are probly around mid 40's? Very nice couple from Janesville Wis. Thinking about running up this Thurs-Fri for another ride. I think its great Iron county opened up early. There's no deer left to shoot up there anyway!

Is it just me or is this conditions board awful quite??! Usually its lit up this time of the year!! Haven't heard anything from the Ironwood up to Silver City Ontonagon area. Been getting great reports out of the Lake Gogebic area.

MKW

blkhwkbob

New owners are probly around mid 40's? Very nice couple from Janesville Wis. Thinking about running up this Thurs-Fri for another ride. I think its great Iron county opened up early. There's no deer left to shoot up there anyway!

Is it just me or is this conditions board awful quite??! Usually its lit up this time of the year!! Haven't heard anything from the Ironwood up to Silver City Ontonagon area. Been getting great reports out of the Lake Gogebic area.

MKW
LOL. The trails have only been open for a week. Most of the time, early conditions are pretty bad. Give it some time.

1fujifilm

MKW

I am thinking the same, only groomers posting and a few riders, guys must be at home or too scared to share the nice conditions with us.

Bear

I agree usually everyone is posting about conditions but not so much this year. I’m hoping to go to Watersmeet on Sunday and ride north to hopefully Copper Harbor staying only until Tuesday. If I go I will post conditions for sure. Just a short trip before Christmas, with any luck we should be riding around my house soon. I think we need about 4-6” before I will hit the trails, but we did get about 3 today so that helps.

wirev

Lots of trees down and brush in the way after that heavy snowfall last week. I would think we may open Wed or Thurs but that's just MHO. Trails that I have seen from the road are panned---might be groowmed tonight on some of them. Swampy trails are still off limits---might be after New Year before we can get on them, Just sayin.

MKW

Thanks guys....guess maybe everyone wasn't prepared to be riding this early in the season! I know I am! I might run up to Iron county later this week, if I do I'll report. Trying to get info on Ironwood north up to the porkies but I guess nobody on here has been up that way. Better get er while we can as I'm sure it will be a mad house the week of Christmas/New Years. With all the snow we've got in Wis there should be no reason that everything north of Hwy 29 shouldn't be open after this weekend or the next at the latest.