Iron River, WI - Downtown Barnes area???

bergs

Heading to this area this weekend and wondering what the conditions are like south of Iron River. Will we need to trailer north from Barnes to Ride?
Thanks

edge800

Road from Athelstane to Dunbar to Florence to Iron River. Then back to Tipler to Long Lake to Armstrong to Goodman bask to Athelstane. It was excellent. From the 12th through the 14th

bergs

Road from Athelstane to Dunbar to Florence to Iron River. Then back to Tipler to Long Lake to Armstrong to Goodman bask to Athelstane. It was excellent. From the 12th through the 14th

Thanks Edge800 But I'm asking about Iron River Wisconsin which is north of Hayward Wisconsin.

vmax1994

I have a place in Barnes and would usually be able to give you up to date info but haven't been up for a couple weeks since I was on a vacation. Anyhow, with the lack of any significant recent snow, it won't be too good. If you know the fire roads, I'm sure you can ride from Barnes. You should be able to get out of Barnes on the trails if need be with a little wear on the carbides and hyfax. You trying to get up towards Valhalla? Iron River is pretty thin as well though the snow is decent north of there.

bergs

Yes vmax we are heading towards Valhalla because that sounds like the only place with decent snow and trails in Bayfield county. Do you know of any good spots we can trailer to north of Iron River on Hwy A or anything just north of Hwy2?

woodside

Guests from our cottages rode to Iron River during the weekend and said it was OK. There will be some thin spots and icy corners.

I met a friend at his place at Moquah which is east of IR yesterday and rode to his cabin just east of Old Baldy. The Hwy 2 Corridor, TR63 and TR31 were good and had been groomed. The Forest Roads have a very good base but are hard and some are getting bumpy but definitely rideable.

We rode the FR's north of Barnes and then over to TR27 to Brule two weekends ago and it was OK then. But TR 7 and TR27 were very bare in the open areas and there are lots of them. I would take TR17N, TR18 and then catch TR27 to Brule. The snow will be still there as its been cold up here.

If you decide to trailer, just drive up to Valhalla and park there or at the PubNGrub. At least you will be in the good stuff. Or park in IR and head north. Give me a call if you have questions.

www.woodsidecottages.com

Attachments

• IMG_2301[2].jpg
    IMG_2301[2].jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 17

vmax1994

Woodside's route north of Barnes is good. That's the way I'd take if I were to take trails. You may want to take fire roads north instead of trail 17 to catch trail 18. I'd avoid trail 4 and 31 south of Iron River unless you get an updated report indicating they are OK. Once in Iron River, I'd probably go a few miles east to catch trail 21 that intersects with 31 unless you know the fire roads.

woodside

TR31 northeast is a trail I avoid if possible. Its very windy, narrow and poor sight lines and a difficult to trail to maintain. I suggest taking TR3N to the Old Baldy area then east on TR40. Or take Hwy 2 corridor to TR63N then TR31 to Valhalla which is a much better stretch of trail.

Like Vmax has said, take some of the many forest roads to Valhalla. The maps are accurate. FR248 east of TR3 to FR236 has been plowed for logging and FR236 is usually plowed as it is a main north/south road up to Cty Rd. C.

Trails north of Valhalla were all groomed up today so they will be fair to very good; fair being some sections of TR31/TR1 and TR51 that have needed more snow all Winter.

The FR north of Barnes are well marked and they can be fun if there is enough snow.

Some pics I took this morning of TR31N, TR51 and Butterfield Rd between Valhalla and Bayfield

Attachments

• IMG_2314[1].jpg
    IMG_2314[1].jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2315[1].jpg
    IMG_2315[1].jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2317[1].jpg
    IMG_2317[1].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2306[1].jpg
    IMG_2306[1].jpg