Irons snow cam

marko

well the womo snow cam is working again http://www.johndee.com/webcam/irons.jpg I had a computer crash on me and with the cam being over 260 miles away and winter being my busiest time I couldn't repair it till now, I would like to see if a web cam thread could be set up just to get feedback and or info about other web cam operator problems and fixes, maybe I will send John a shout
marko :cool:

Last edited:

polarisrider1

well the womo snow cam is working again http://www.johndee.com/webcam/irons.jpg I had a computer crash on me and with the cam being over 260 miles away and winter being my busiest time I couldn't repair it till now, I would like to see if a web cam thread could be set up just to get feedback and or info about other web cam operator problems and fixes, maybe I will send John a shout

Sweet! Just wondering about your neighbor just to your north were your drive comes off from 4 1/2 mile (east side of drive in old gun shop). Is he part Rottweiler?

marko

omg rotflmao !! I cant stop laughing, well I do fell protected with him there, I hope he hasn't caused you to much problems, next time just tell him mark sent you lol

polarisrider1

omg rotflmao !! I cant stop laughing, well I do fell protected with him there, I hope he hasn't caused you to much problems, next time just tell him mark sent you lol

To funny, I was stopping by to say Hi and to wave at the camera. You guys in a jeep gave me a ride home one night after finding me in the bush when my Doo ran out of gas! (that gas gauge never did work right) I had my Skidoo Space jacket on! (darn aliens must of abducted me!). Let's not tell anyone I rode Skidoo back then!

uncle_ed

I always like checking you guys to the north of me to see if the snow is any better that way (which it usually is) so I appreciate your efforts. I started out with the kabcam software also and found it easy to set up and nice with the weather and banner overlay features. Keeping the whole shebang going was always a task and hit and miss sometimes and yes 240 miles away does not make for a quick fix. Some problems can be fixed by logging on to your computer remotely with software like teamviewer and making changes that get you back online. Sometimes you just got to make the drive.......About a year ago I added a home automation system so I can turn up the heat in the cabin, turn up the hot tub, turn on lights etc. I also used it to switch off the power to the computer and then back on to reboot it (a quick change of the bios enables power interupt reboots) and that worked well for other problems as well.

The best thing I did was switch to economically priced netcams and they have proven to be bullit proof. Panasonic makes a user friendly set up but there are many out there to choose from. It is a nice way to look around at your place in real time!

marko

Hey uncle_ed ya I would like to run a netcam but I only have dialup at the cabin, I use pc shut down software to reboot the comp. every 3 hours that takes care of a lot of problems, I have used pc anywhere to remote connect in the past but I too have added the X10 home remote system and with dial up I haven't configured the two together yet so for right now being able to turn the heat on and control other stuff took a front seat, where is your cam located ?

polarisrider1

Hey uncle_ed ya I would like to run a netcam but I only have dialup at the cabin, I use pc shut down software to reboot the comp. every 3 hours that takes care of a lot of problems, I have used pc anywhere to remote connect in the past but I too have added the X10 home remote system and with dial up I haven't configured the two together yet so for right now being able to turn the heat on and control other stuff took a front seat, where is your cam located ?

Mark, we just got cable and internet service over here on Blue Gill, Bass, little bass and loon lake. Not so sure of Sable lakes. Call your twps.office for info. You may have high speed by you. this went in this past winter. Also the Emporium is back open again with new owners, the gal who runs it would also have the info. She has a coffee shop in there were the ice cream section was. The price is way cheap from what I remember. (had a flyer stuffed in my door). I am in Elk twps. your in Sable I suspect.

uncle_ed

Hey Marko. My cam is down in Silver Lake. I am running a z-wave home automation system from micasaverde and love how functional/dependable that thing has been. I am on a DSL from Frontier and it is the best I have available to me at my cabin. It sounds like you have the cam thing figured out nicely. The bonus to running netcams is no computor, just hook them to the router and leave them alone!

I hope they run that new trail west out of Baldwin off of the 320 that they are talking about. I have ventured as far as Baldwin but that new trail will just make it all the easier...

polarisrider1

Hey Marko. My cam is down in Silver Lake. I am running a z-wave home automation system from micasaverde and love how functional/dependable that thing has been. I am on a DSL from Frontier and it is the best I have available to me at my cabin. It sounds like you have the cam thing figured out nicely. The bonus to running netcams is no computor, just hook them to the router and leave them alone!

I hope they run that new trail west out of Baldwin off of the 320 that they are talking about. I have ventured as far as Baldwin but that new trail will just make it all the easier...

Marko That's it, Frontier is the company that is a mile north of you. and may be in your neighborhood to.
http://www.frontierscommunications.com/?cid=ce&kw=frontier cable&ad=15540136955
they have a seasonal rate around $12 a month with no contract.

Last edited:

marko

camp WOMO (Irons web cam) is up for sale

Well sad to say but camp WOMO is for sale, I have been part of and or owner since 1969, mostly used in the beginning for deer hunting then later snowmobiling & hunting, I started the Irons snowcam about 2004 and I plan to keep it going until the camp sells, hopefully the new owner will continue with the snowcam at least I'm including all the setup in the sale so we will see, all the info. and pictures can be viewed on my coldguards.com web site HERE I'm looking to relocate closer to Higgins lake area so maybe I will set up a new cam in the future.

polarisrider1

Well sad to say but camp WOMO is for sale, I have been part of and or owner since 1969, mostly used in the beginning for deer hunting then later snowmobiling & hunting, I started the Irons snowcam about 2004 and I plan to keep it going until the camp sells, hopefully the new owner will continue with the snowcam at least I'm including all the setup in the sale so we will see, all the info. and pictures can be viewed on my coldguards.com web site HERE I'm looking to relocate closer to Higgins lake area so maybe I will set up a new cam in the future.

Maybe we could move it over to my place after you sell. Mack and 6 mile

marko

Well the set up there now is dial-up and there are quite a few components to make it work remotely (computer - monitor - keyboard - mouse - HD usb cam - heated cam enclosure - X10 wireless system) so it takes up space and has to be monitored regularly it also needs software like Kabcam - autoshut down - PCanywhere , so to just move it is not that simple, best way to go is a IP cam but you need a high speed internet connection, I will let you know when it sells and see if you are interested in setting up a cam I can help get you going.

polarisrider1

Well the set up there now is dial-up and there are quite a few components to make it work remotely (computer - monitor - keyboard - mouse - HD usb cam - heated cam enclosure - X10 wireless system) so it takes up space and has to be monitored regularly it also needs software like Kabcam - autoshut down - PCanywhere , so to just move it is not that simple, best way to go is a IP cam but you need a high speed internet connection, I will let you know when it sells and see if you are interested in setting up a cam I can help get you going.
Lets can that idea. I have electric and that's about it.

marko

LOL yea basically all you need at the cabin is electric and phone but it's all the other stuff that gets crazy.