Is modern sled engine reliabilty that bad?

I've been out of the sport since 08. Looking for 2 used sleds. I've researched, talked to a few buddies. So I guess I'm looking for sleds up to $6500. I see quite a few with 4-6k miles on them. People on the forums say to run from Poo 800, etecs blowing up all the time too. If a person buys a sled with 4-5k miles in lets say an 800 etec or Poo or perhaps an etec 600, what is the realistic amount of time before detonation? I'm seriously considering looking into a 1200 Doo or ZR 7000 at this point....but am skeptical about performance and weight.

whitedust

If you’re looking for peace of mind you’re on the right track looking at a modern turbo or NA 4s sled. The Doo NA 900 and turbo are the lightest of the modern 4s sleds. If weight is your hot button Polaris 2s are currently the lightweight champ. You didn’t say what your riding style is so I’m assuming you are a high mile trail rider concerned about engine longevity which is better suited by 4s engines. Yamaha and doo are your 4s brands , AC has the Thundercat Polaris is all 2s. I’m not sure about availability of used Yamaha 4s sleds but used Doo 4s sleds are difficult to find since most keep their sleds.

G

G

Go find a two year old Pol 600 straight tunnel sled. It will be cheaper than your budget. It will never blow up. And it will go plenty fast enough and get really good gas mileage. Very few riders need or use the extra power of an 800 or a 900 or a big turbo sled.

tjmaxx

If you primarily trail ride a 4 stroke is a great option. I just bought a 900T so I can't say much about it since I haven't rode but my last sled was a 1200, it was faster than any 600, 700 or 800 2 stroke I've had in the past. If you are planning to off trail ride then a 2 stroke is the one. The new 2 stroke sleds will likely last longer than an older 2 stroke as long as they are taken care of.

G

G

A straight tunnel Pol 600 weighs about 460 dry. Any four stroker is going to be at least 100 lbs heavier. My Sidewinder goes about 640 dry. Even with good shocks you will feel the extra weight after a long day.

I will ride some trails....I ride cruiser speed. The rest will be some river riding. As far as a straight tunnel Polaris goes are we talking Indy 600?

jknoup

I've got a 2016 Indy 600 sp in the Terrain Dominator package. It has a little over 2000 miles on it and it is spotless. I was going to trade it in this coming weekend, but would sell it outright if you're interested. Asking $5200 815-238-3985

wirev

A straight tunnel Pol 600 weighs about 460 dry. Any four stroker is going to be at least 100 lbs heavier. My Sidewinder goes about 640 dry. Even with good shocks you will feel the extra weight after a long day.

My 1200 is 501 dry after some tinkering.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know anything about Poos. Never heard the expression. Are there crooked tunnel ones?

whitedust

Weight wars were market drivers in 2008 and Doo was the lightest. Now days weight is important and Doo 4s are pretty darn light. Doo 4s handle well on trail even the turbo is light. Modern sleds are purpose built sleds from work sleds, cross overs to high marking powder sleds. Me I’ve been on both Yamaha and Doo 4s sleds since 2006 after numerous 2s burndowns. The used sleds your looking at even the Viper was lighter than the Vector. The Doo air ride is also a very comfortable suspension. I’m not going to knock injected 2s but for me 4000 miles and I had burndowns. I’m sure others may have had better results but not me and probably why your buddies are cautioning you. I’m a power cruiser especially on lakes and grades and my 2s ran very well right up to the burndowns. I probably have 30 to 40,000 miles on 4s and zero engine problems.

whitedust

My 1200 is 501 dry after some tinkering.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know anything about Poos. Never heard the expression. Are there crooked tunnel ones?

I’m pretty sure Grub is talking about the early Rush suspension vs the cookie cutter straight tunnel Indys now available.

mrbb

well my 2 cents, to be honest at the 4-5,000 mile mark, most 2 stroke motors are due to being checked for compression as that is honestly getting towards the end of there top end life span before things start to go south, its NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, nothing new here(older sleds adn motors were even sooner to be honest so new motors are getting better)

NOW< at 4-5,000 miles it doesn't MEAN they NEED a top end, it means things should be checked and then checked more often as more time and miles add up.
there are countless folks that get more than twice this 4-5000 miles (many get 10-12,000+ miles on modern 2 stroke motors) and then some on miles on modern 2 strokes problem free, but then there are also many that DON"T!.
Sleds are wear and tear toys, like it or not, HOW there driven, where there riven and how there cared for in seasons and off matters as t how long many things past, you cannot just look at a used sled and say, LOW miles GREAT High miles RUN!, its not that simple, every other wear part on a sled has to be taken care of they all work together to either make for a well cared for sled or not
4 stroke motors just have longer intervals before top ends are needed, there not magically more reliable by any means, there just a different design and as such they have different intervals on things! rest of sled is the same to wear and tear!
there are LOYAL followers of every brand that have GREAT luck and long life of there BRAND sled, ain't no way to say buy this make or model in a used sled, as how it was cared for or not matters more IMO, than just picking a yr or model ever will!

SledTL

I think the biggest takeaway is look at all the other vehicles in the garage/area of the seller. Are they taken care of? Stuff obviously wears, but if its taken care of and not beat on then I would not have an issue buying something if its priced accordingly.

tjmaxx

Ski doo 900 ace renegade is listed at 501 pounds dry. Heavier... yes but not 100 pounds. Yamaha I believe 100 pounds heavier. I've never been worn out from riding my 1200 renegade 200 or more miles in a day. It's such a smooth trail machine I'd argue my 600 Polaris switchback wears me out more

You might as well figure on putting a new motor in the two strokes at 4 to 5000 miles, switched over to four strokes about six years ago and will never ever go back, add gas & go , had as many as 15,000 on my four strokes and never touched a motor yet! As far as the weight of the four stroke, don’t let too many people tell you it’s a big deal because it’s seriously not! If you do a lot of off trail riding the two-stroke is probably the way to go but trail riding I would never go to anything but the fours!!

UP RIDER

I have a Buddy that runs a rental fleet of 600 Indys , he is getting 14,000. To 20,000. Miles out of the motors. We have two 800 Poos and two 600 Poos currently one 6 and one 8 both have over 8,000. Miles on them . The head bolts have never been loosened on any of them. So unless you are one of Trail burners that puts on 5k a year you will probably be tired of the Sled before you burn it down.

G

G

Read the post. The guy is from Milwaukee and has been out of the sport since 2008. He wants 2 sleds. I am assuming a husband and wife trailering to trail ride. He is not going to be putting on a buttload of miles a year. He doesn't need the latest and greatest stuff. He also does not need to spend a whole bunch of money to get back in. Polaris has always built solid 600s. If you find one with 5000 miles on it yes it maybe could use a refreshed top end. But not the whole motor. Those motors are so simple you could find some guy living in a culvert to put in a set of pistons and rings. $300 bucks tops in parts. But it probably won't even need it. Most people think what they have is the end all. Dust likes his Doo 900. Snobuilder likes his XCR. But in reality all a person really needs is an XC or an S P Pol 600. Polaris is going to the new 650 and the 600 will be phased out and 600s are going to be CHEAP. And there is nothing the matter with them. Let the guy start out by just getting his feet wet and not jumping back in up to his neck. If he decides he wants something different after a season or two then he can make the call. You can usually get most of your money back on a 6 while you will get hosed on just about anything else.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
600 Poo is pretty rock solid. I had 5200 miles on my 07 RMK when I sold it in 2012, and the last I heard it had over 7500 on it, and still running strong!

whitedust

Lots of good information as usual regarding 2s vs 4s engines herein. You definitely posted on the correct website for a fair response on both engines. What I have learned is I’m not a guy who will perform incremental mileage compression tests and carry spare plugs should plugs get fouled on the trail. I’ll check fluids , grease zerks once in awhile but for the most part I’m a gas and go rider and don’t want to worry about 2s burndowns. 4s are a more reliable engine by design than any 2s and are heavier by design as well. It maybe best to ask yourself how much maintenance do I want to do in a season? Who will do a top end for me on and injected 2s because 2s all come to that with miles? 4s are pretty much check fluids ,do an oil change every 3500 miles gas , go and ride with a super high probability the engine will not be the cause of a trail break down.

euphoric1

600 Poo is pretty rock solid. I had 5200 miles on my 07 RMK when I sold it in 2012, and the last I heard it had over 7500 on it, and still running strong!

AGREED! had 2002 touring 600 9200 miles, maintenance and a couple exhaust bellows, brother has had it now for 3 years so not sure how many miles now but still running

G

G

I've got a 2016 Indy 600 sp in the Terrain Dominator package. It has a little over 2000 miles on it and it is spotless. I was going to trade it in this coming weekend, but would sell it outright if you're interested. Asking $5200 815-238-3985

There you go. And there are plenty more out there to choose from. You would be under budget and could buy a nice new suit to go with it. Clothing and all other gear has come a long way since 2008.