It isn't over yet....3/14

attakman

DON'T PUT YOUR SLEDS away !!!! I went out last night to check out trails...after getting around 2 inches of snow early sunday morning...it seemed to help the trails...we rode around Lake Nokomis, and there are some big heaves developing as they are dropping the water (especially up near the shoreline) ...so becareful out there...but it's smooth and fast for the most part...we then did a little ditch banging, and jumped up to the 51 C trail, and headed to Alpine, over to 10 Point and east towards woodpecker....while there were a few bare spots near roads and in corners, the trails were mostly good (watch for icy corners, but not bad)...in fact I'd rate them a 7 out of 10...we even took the bearskin, for a short ride south, and it was decent with just a few bare spots where the sun hit it, and near road crossings....the hiawatha near lake nokomis was rideable, but in poor shape (more bare spots and gravel showing)...again surprisingly good over all..talked to several riders who had hit the Forest Riders trails south and west of Minocqua, and they were reporting excellent conditions as well....heard the same thing for northern Price county (good to excellent conditions, with some ice in the corners)..AND..it's currently snowing and we are under a winter weather advisory until 7 pm for possible 3 to 5 inches for Oneida County and to the south..trails should be really good from tonight through mid week.

That being said...even with the new snow, conditions could deteriorate rapidly as we are expecting temps in the upper 40s, and low 50s for the end of the week....but as of right now...other than the Hiawatha, trails in the area are in suprisingly good shape, and there is some good riding to be had if you look for lesser traveled routes.
it was so good ...I will be heading out again tonight.

attakman

update...only got just over 1 inch of new snow...heavier bands set up near Irma/Merrill...the sun is coming out, and it's 35...the snow that we got this morning is already melting on the pavement....still very rideable up here...but conditions will change daily with the warm weather thats headed our way.

attakman

Lincoln County Zone one closes tonight at 6 PM....all Lincoln County trails will be officially closed for the season....and tomorrow Oneida County will meet to discuss the fate of the trails there.... you can still ride and find some decent trails...but it's deteriorating rapidly..currently 42 and sunny, and going to be in the 50s...still 3 feet of ice on Lake Nokomis...but it's going to get slushy and wet out there now.....it was a great season...but I think we are done, (except for the far northern counties, Ashland, northern Vilas and Iron)

attakman

AND THE FAT LADY HAS SUNG. ...Oneida county closes at Noon tomorrow....season over for me....its done

LoveMyDobe

No more grooming, trails close on Sunday in Bayfield County in WI, they were still riding north of Hwy2 yesterday at 50 degrees

whitedust

Grooming was done good year lots of grooming budgeted dollars were spent little ROI to keep it going in little time left. I only remember 1 year in 16 that trails were open in Vilas until March 31.