It's 2024, Let's Fish!

skiroule

With most sledding still a tough go, it seemed like the best way to welcome in the new year was to get a line in the water. A cousin was up at his place fishing a half-mile or so offshore so I went up and grabbed one of his sleds and joined him for a few hours.

A tad breezy but a nice sunny day. Love the solitude of the lake in winter.
IMG_2841_1.jpg

Didn’t get the fish the best part of the day so it was slow, a few Saugers and this guy. Not a huge Pike but judging by the girth, it had just finished downing its share of fish.
IMG_2836_1.jpg

Hoping to see some photos of what you anglers are hauling in as the year progresses.

pclark

Ventured out around 4pm for the late bite yesterday, warm but really breezy. Planned to fish until 6pm as it seems they were biting right around 5pm. Two Northerns and a largemouth bass, all went back into the lake. Best part was enjoying a cold beer around 5pm with my buddy and watching this!

1707514723439.png

euphoric1

Nice pic!! sturgeon spearing opens this weekend and I know some people might say its only a fish but this season will prove to be detrimental to the spearing season as and don't quote me but has to be done in a shanty and with ice as iffy as it is all over its going to be tough and I thought it took 7 to 10 years to even get a sturgeon tag, couldn't imagine waiting and mother nature throws them this giant curve ball. Didn't get on any ice this year, now looking into getting my Smokercraft set up for some early season coho trolling on the big pond!

hybrid

spent all of January out in southern Colorado with friends
no snowmobiling to be had in that area but did manage to get out and do some ice fishing a few times
fish were biting great no giant ones but got a few nice ones for supper and the freezer
took my buddies kid with was his first time ice fishing 7 years old
he had a blast we caught fish the entire time we were there
all rainbow trout and 1 brown trout
saw a bunch of sleds on trailers headed west on 80 in Nebraska on my way back home last week

Attachments

• IMG_4539.jpg
    IMG_4539.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

skiroule

spent all of January out in southern Colorado with friends
no snowmobiling to be had in that area but did manage to get out and do some ice fishing a few times
fish were biting great no giant ones but got a few nice ones for supper and the freezer
took my buddies kid with was his first time ice fishing 7 years old
he had a blast we caught fish the entire time we were there
all rainbow trout and 1 brown trout
saw a bunch of sleds on trailers headed west on 80 in Nebraska on my way back home last week
Nice catch and that's some good eating right there! Hard to beat fresh trout on the grill.

skiroule

Looks like the ice will go out very soon in Lakewood area
Saw a post from a resort near Hayward that said their lake ice would probably be gone by the end of the week. Lakes in the Twin Cities are wide open already.

On the south end of Lake of the Woods, they’re still allowing half-tons and wheelhouses on the resort ice roads. With 24 -36” on the Canadian side and a cool-down coming next week, I'm planning to make one more ice fishing run the last week in March.

The crazy winter continues.

hybrid

the bay opened by me today in NE price co
61 degrees
no ice under the bridge in minocqua this afternoon
open water all around the boathouse and over to thirsty whale
another warm day tomorrow
lakes are super low
iv never seen them this low
some swamps are bone dry
big time fire danger now
we need rain asap

goofy600

Wonder how an early ice out will affect the opening of fishing seasons. Will the spawn change? I’m a very novice fishermen so will see what happens.

dfattack

Wonder how an early ice out will affect the opening of fishing seasons. Will the spawn change? I’m a very novice fishermen so will see what happens.
it will absolutely change. spawning is triggered by water temp. Different species, different water temp.

pclark

Spawn will come earlier this year, the ice by me is in that ugly stage right now. Not seeing a lot of guys out on the ice right now. Colder temps moving in for the weekend. I predict ice out sometime after 4/1 and before 4/15 for us this year.

skiroule

KInd of a strange scene in Baudette right now. Ice is out of the Rainy quite a ways downstream from International Falls and at least one boat ramp is open. So now you see boats and wheelhouses parked side by side at the local restaurants.

A friend sent me the attached article regarding some studies done on the effects of ice out dates and Walleye spawn.

Attachments

• walleyes and ice out.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 24