It's 2024, Let's Fish!

skiroule

thats a nice one , very good good eating , must be putting the food bag on
Yeah, the Northern Pike and Muskies are super-agressive now, they must sense that winter is coming. Lots of Muskie guys from Wisconsin up here this time of year.

Absolutely delicious!
Totally agree with you guys on this. Removing the Y-bones is not real difficult and you end up with big, boneless slabs of great tasting fish. They are our favorite fresh water fish to put on the table.

I know a number of people that won't even touch one, much less eat one. I think they're missing out on a real treat. Oh well, just that much more for me I guess.

mike1970

Yeah, the Northern Pike and Muskies are super-agressive now, they must sense that winter is coming. Lots of Muskie guys from Wisconsin up here this time of year.

Totally agree with you guys on this. Removing the Y-bones is not real difficult and you end up with big, boneless slabs of great tasting fish. They are our favorite fresh water fish to put on the table.

I know a number of people that won't even touch one, much less eat one. I think they're missing out on a real treat. Oh well, just that much more for me I guess.
If you like a little spice, give this a try. I use a 1/2 pound of lard and a tablespoon of Sriracha Oil in my cast iron pan. Standard Shore Lunch breading on my boneless pike chunks. It's VERY tasty.

skiroule

If you like a little spice, give this a try. I use a 1/2 pound of lard and a tablespoon of Sriracha Oil in my cast iron pan. Standard Shore Lunch breading on my boneless pike chunks. It's VERY tasty.
I definitely have to try this. Believe it or not, we cook all our fish in an 18" cast iron pan on the old reliable Webber kettle charcoal grill. Hard to go wrong with Siracha, I'm looking forward to tasting this new twist on flavor.

pclark

Was out the last two evenings for some walleyes. Thought turned to be cold and windy, three small 14” walleyes, one nice crappie. All went back for another day. Tonight wasn’t much better but did bring in a nice 16” walleye. This one had a couple of very nice filets. IMG_2359.jpeg

skiroule

Was out the last two evenings for some walleyes. Thought turned to be cold and windy, three small 14” walleyes, one nice crappie. All went back for another day. Tonight wasn’t much better but did bring in a nice 16” walleye. This one had a couple of very nice filets. View attachment 70264
Perfect eating size, wish I could catch those all day long. Went out for a couple of hours about a week ago, didn't do real well, all the Walleyes were either too small or too big to keep. Couldn't keep the dang Bass off my bait. Fun to catch but don't contribute to the frying pan. Will try to get out this week. Wind has been howling like a banshee most of the last few days. You can tell the end of boat fishing is closing in.

skiroule

Apologies for back-to-back fishing posts but I had an unusual experience today. Hooked what was undoubtedly the biggest Northern Pike I’ve personally seen.

No way I was getting him in the boat with my Walleye net so I just tried to get a little video. No small task to try to hold a phone with one hand and keep a line tight on a big fish with the other. This is evident in the video quality.

He humored me for a bit and then he’d had enough. Bit or snapped my leader like a matchstick and was gone.

euphoric1

caught one of those "biggest northern I have ever seen" once before too, ice fishing, I would always pick up one of those big chubs, put it out on a tip up and the joke was, well if we don't catch anything we can always filet the bait up and eat it. Then one time the flag went up, thinking the bait mad a dive and tripped the flag we moseyed over to the tip up only to find the shaft slowly spinning, watched it for a few moments, pulled the tip up and knew there was something big on other end. Ended up being a 42" northern with a 17" girth, we stared in awe and you could tell she was very pregnant and put her back. Like you said " biggest northern I have ever seen" nice video! nice fish! it will be even bigger next time!

skiroule

I'm always surprised by what these big predators will chase. They are definitely fattening up for the winter.

Last edited:

skiroule

caught one of those "biggest northern I have ever seen" once before too, ice fishing, I would always pick up one of those big chubs, put it out on a tip up and the joke was, well if we don't catch anything we can always filet the bait up and eat it. Then one time the flag went up, thinking the bait mad a dive and tripped the flag we moseyed over to the tip up only to find the shaft slowly spinning, watched it for a few moments, pulled the tip up and knew there was something big on other end. Ended up being a 42" northern with a 17" girth, we stared in awe and you could tell she was very pregnant and put her back. Like you said " biggest northern I have ever seen" nice video! nice fish! it will be even bigger next time!
Had to laugh at your Chub story. Our minnow guy occasionally throws in what he calls a “shark”. We make the same comment about fileting it.

I’m impressed you got that big fish lined up with the hole, not to mention hauling it in from a tip-up. A memorable fish for sure, you will never forget it. You never know what will hit the bait. I guess that’s why we fish.

thats awsome , i am trying to get my wife to camp and fish at voyagers park next week
It could happen. Weather doesn’t look too bad. Monday will be a little cool but after that, it might make for a great fall experience (with no mosquitos). Hopefully you can talk her into it.