It's a Bombogenesis!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pulled this gem off the Midwest Weather over on FB. Never heard of it? Me neither but it's one of the reasons the coming storm is a monster. It's times like this I really miss John, he'd be so excited and happy for us. Anyway, it's a new word to add to your vocabulary, Bombogenesis!

The incoming blizzard is expected to be stronger than the major winter storm two days ago. Why? The surface low is expected to undergo bombogenesis. What is bombogenesis? It is pretty rare, and when it happens, it typically means substantial snowfall totals in the winter. In the winter, it can bring severe weather outbreaks. Bombogenesis happens when the barometric pressure drops rapidly, as much as 24 millibars in 24 hours in the middle of the low pressure.
Currently, the surface low is at 998 millibars. It is expected to drop into the 960s by Saturday morning. This is a huge drop, which is why all of this snow is coming.

Those 40 millibars are almost twice the amount to trigger this event. This could be epic!