It's not "bigfoot".....but it's definitely a BIG foot!

snoluver1

Found this print right next to my driveway in northern IL. This print is approximately twice the size of my black lab's prints that are in the same mud puddle. At first I thought maybe she was running or hopping and the down-pressure caused her print to spread. So I grabed her paw and forced it to spread out to compare. The glove don't fit! My closest neighbors are about a half mile away, and their dogs gave birth to my dog so I know it's not them either. I don't know of any large dogs anywhere in my local vicinity that could have made this print.

Could this possibly be a wolf print? A coyote print would be much smaller, correct? There have been sittings of a cougar in my area, but unless it was walking with its claws extended, that doesn't seam to fit the bill either. Any ideas?
20170504_172927.jpg

Last edited:

dawolf

I saw a couple reports in late March of a wolf near Rockford. Might be the same one. I think someone posted a pic on Rockford Scanner.

snobuilder

I aint no expert but k9 prints are really more triangular with the center of the paw ahead of the rest of the paw print much like your hand... the claw impressions are definitely doglike
.Is that sod ? Weird ...ground looks too stiff/ dry for such an impression.

Last edited:

old abe

It is very possible. My riding bud has a large German Shepherd, and he has very large prints also. If it is a lone wolf, it won't stay in one area long. They tend to stay on the move.

snoluver1

I aint no expert but k9 prints are really more triangular with the center of the paw ahead of the rest of the paw print much like your hand... the claw impressions are definitely doglike

It's a recently dried up mud puddle next to my driveway. A scalping from plowing snow. (The one time I actually had to plow this year!)The grass hasn't taken hold yet because its been too wet. The print was made last night. We have been dry for the last 2 days, but like 3-4" of rain in the days previous. The base is a mixture of clay and gravel right in that spot, and it is fairly stiff. What ever made this impression was either very heavy or landing from a jump!

Last edited:

snoluver1

I should add, the picture might be a little deceiving as far as how wet it is. It's only the top layer that is dried out. This is an area where water pools and carries in silt. Its that type of mud that's slicker than snot, but isn't very deep. There is mixed in gravel underneath.

snoluver1

thats a dog and not a lab

Is there a way to definitively identify a dog vs a wolf? I just talked to a neighbor about 5 miles away who swears he saw a large white wolf a couple weeks ago. I know with certainty this was not made by my lab, but there are no large dogs anywhere close to me. I'm not ruling out a stray, just curious if there is a sure fire "tell".

old abe

I agree totally with snobuilder as to the circular toe/claw pattern. Toe/claw pattern of dogs generally more pointed (center 2 toes) towards the front of foot. But with the soil/condition you described, it could be very deceiving.

snoluver1

I agree totally with snobuilder as to the circular toe/claw pattern. Toe/claw pattern of dogs generally more pointed (center 2 toes) towards the front of foot. But with the soil/condition you described, it could be very deceiving.

I did some research on different prints and I agree, the roundness is kind of throwing me off. I'm starting to wonder if it is actually a cougar print with claws out. Some of the info I read suggested a dog print would have seperation between toe and claw where a cougar would have no seperation. You can see in the print there is no seperation of the claw and they almost look like they sliced into the mud. (Look at the far right claw mark) The main pad print seams more dog like than cougar, however.

old abe

I did some research on different prints and I agree, the roundness is kind of throwing me off. I'm starting to wonder if it is actually a cougar print with claws out. Some of the info I read suggested a dog print would have seperation between toe and claw where a cougar would have no seperation. You can see in the print there is no seperation of the claw and they almost look like they sliced into the mud. (Look at the far right claw mark) The main pad print seams more dog like than cougar, however.

Cougar could also be possible with the "round" print??? And the big cats have a large paw print. Need to get "Tracker" in on this???

snoluver1

I saw a couple reports in late March of a wolf near Rockford. Might be the same one. I think someone posted a pic on Rockford Scanner.

Found the pic on rockford scanner. Looks consistent with my buddy's description of the one he saw off Flat Iron road in Harvard. I guess we have some new neighbors moving in!

Capture+_2017-05-05-08-33-18.jpg