I've Wondered About This....

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The local Starbucks is right next to my favorite Hardware Store. Frequently I'll see the cars lined up around the corner, waiting in line for the drive thru. Two things people; if you're waiting that long in line, why not just park and walk in. It takes little effort and you'll get your overpriced hot water that much faster. Secondly, when your idling your car that long it's sucking that 4 dollar gas like a whino with a bottle of Ripple. It takes more gasoline to sit there and idle than it does driving down the street.

For the record, I've never had a Starbucks coffee but it must be some terrific stuff judging by the lines I see. :rolleyes:

whitedust

gasoline in vehicle or bought coffee and fast food? Imo the thermos and lunch bucket comes out of the storage cabinet. Others don’t think so but has been traditional in recessions and high inflation history. Something has to go for some people to make ends meet. I was thinking the same thing waiting for fast food and burning gas really doesn’t make much financial sense.

BigSix

Couple of things here. Starbucks is good coffee but I only drank it on Delta flights, I wouldn't directly pay for it. IMO, Kwik Trip has as good of coffee and it is only $0.99 for 14 oz. if you buy their refillable mug. Most people that pay $6 for a Starbucks are getting a sugar fix too, not just coffee.

I just retired after 40 years at one company and another 4 years full time before that. 95% of the time, I brought my lunch to work. I figured a sack lunch cost me about $2 a day compared to $6 at some restaurant. Over 44 years, I figure that I've saved about $40,000 bringing a sack lunch to work. I bought me a brandy-new pickup in 2016 for less than that!

mrbb

well, I got you's beat maybe LOL
23 yrs at main working 12 hr shifts job, (some days 16 hours ) almost all night shift 6 pm to 6 am,
and all my other jobs I had, I also never meal or ate one on the job!
never ate food at work period!
once in a while I will admit I did drink a bottle of water or two, ! never felt the need to do more!

and to be honest, I never drank a cup of coffee in my life, never so much as a sip!
so, I've never paid for a lunch at work or a cup of coffee
and I sure as hell wouldn;t pay 6 bucks for a coffee , way over priced product if you ask me
but do admit I have wasted a lot of $$ on gasoline for toys and road trips that were all for fun!
so we all have our vices on how we waste $$ at times if you ask me!
trying to enjoy life can be a costly venture!

heckler56

I just retired after 40 years at one company and another 4 years full time before that. 95% of the time, I brought my lunch to work. I figured a sack lunch cost me about $2 a day compared to $6 at some restaurant. Over 44 years, I figure that I've saved about $40,000 bringing a sack lunch to work. I bought me a brandy-new pickup in 2016 for less than that!
I hear you. 5 years into retirement and I noticed my lunch sack is still in the cupboard. Could never justify the cost of eating out.

heckler56

Did you all know that Howard Schultz went to Northern Michigan Uni in Marquette? Went to Seattle in 1981(?) to work at Starbucks and created the whole gotta have a moca lotta grande coffee craze that has captured the world. My story isn’t so colorful 😁