John, do remember when..........

frosty

Do you remember when you first moved up to Twin Lakes, I think this is when you had the Poocat or maybe the RMK, anyway it snowed measurably for almost 3 or 4 weeks straight. I remember because of the fact every third or fourth day you were complaining about shoveling the roof. What was the cause of that? I know it was lake effect, but what type of pattern or system would just hang out for such a long period of time?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I never lived in Twin Lakes. Lake Linden was the first place I lived when I first moved up here. Also, I did not have to shovel the roof every third or fourth day, it was about every 30-40 days.

With that said, it was "the good old days" of snowfall up here in the early 2000's, with regular snows just about every day. Maybe not a lot, some days just an inch or so, but it was common to have 7-14 days straight with accumulating snows and in some cases we went 25-30 days straight. The past 3-4 winters have been much different.

The pattern that allowed such frequent snows to fall was one that simply brought cold and unstable enough air to generate snow across the Keweenaw. In the winter, it really is more of a trick to get that NOT to happen, than to get it to happen. So the past 3-4 years have been the strange ones, not back then. It sure would be nice to get back into a regular snow type setup here. While clearing snow every day does take up time, the results for snow play sure are awesome. Every 3-4 days we would have 8-12" of fresh snow to play in.

-John

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never lived in Twin Lakes. Lake Linden was the first place I lived when I first moved up here. Also, I did not have to shovel the roof every third or fourth day, it was about every 30-40 days.

With that said, it was "the good old days" of snowfall up here in the early 2000's, with regular snows just about every day. Maybe not a lot, some days just an inch or so, but it was common to have 7-14 days straight with accumulating snows and in some cases we went 25-30 days straight. The past 3-4 winters have been much different.

The pattern that allowed such frequent snows to fall was one that simply brought cold and unstable enough air to generate snow across the Keweenaw. In the winter, it really is more of a trick to get that NOT to happen, than to get it to happen. So the past 3-4 years have been the strange ones, not back then. It sure would be nice to get back into a regular snow type setup here. While clearing snow every day does take up time, the results for snow play sure are awesome. Every 3-4 days we would have 8-12" of fresh snow to play in.

-John

Ahh yes, 8-12 to play in every 3-4 days, those were the good old days eh? Hopefully this winter....

jan11-6.jpg

Dave_B

Just use this graphic. Seems appropriate after the last few years!

Attachments

• forecast.jpg
    forecast.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 175

samc

Be nice to get a storm mid Winter like the one a few years back the Keweenaw had in early April. I remember John posted a pic in his Journal of all the guys he was riding with and all the sleds were stuck in a line.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be nice to get a storm mid Winter like the one a few years back the Keweenaw had in early April. I remember John posted a pic in his Journal of all the guys he was riding with and all the sleds were stuck in a line.

This one? One word, EPIC!!

apr9-7.jpg

jd

Administrator
Staff member
This one? One word, EPIC!!

View attachment 33727

Epic storm it was. All those sleds were 144" or greater, with fully capable riders. It was also bare ground in that spot before the storm hit. There was easily 6 feet on the ground in that shot, so it is not unreasonable to say 80-90" of snow fell in that spot with that storm.

Yea... I'll have another!

-John

rocketman356

Yaa John,We remember,I drove all night to get up there for this one with my youngest son Max.We tried to bust trail down 3 from the store to Phoniex and must of dug out my son 5 times and call it quits took 41 back to the trailer.Had 3 friends come up later and put Max in back and he could handle that.We broke trail from Phoniex to Gay and what a blast.

Attachments

• 47678.jpg
    47678.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 47674.jpg
    47674.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 129

radsrh

What year was the April storm? I do remember being up at camp with bare ground and coming back a few days later seeing the pics of the aftermath.

frosty

See I'm good for something! Even though I couldn't remember where John lived originally?! That April was EPIC by any standard today! Just hope for a "normal winter" up there this season.

L

lenny

those picks are crazy, I moved up to the UP that year but in Oct,,, a year too late!

mezz

Here are a couple more pic's, it was indeed EPIC! Hard to believe there was not a stitch of snow before this! Ahh, the good ole day's...... SLEDDING PICTURES 001 APRIL 7 2007 (1).jpg SLEDDING PICTURES 001 APRIL 7 2007 (3).jpg SLEDDING PICTURES 001 APRIL 7 2007 (6).jpg SLEDDING PICTURES 001 APRIL 7 2007 (7).jpg :cool:-Mezz

L

lenny

that there is crazy, hope it happens again and I can experience it myself

L

lenny

I wounder if that event was the single biggest event in history up here, gotta be or close