Just looking for some feedback on bluetooth communication headsets. which ones are good, which ones are no good??? Thanks in advanced.

bncauto

Which brands do you have and like. How long have they lasted ,and is customer service any good if you needed them?

latner

We're using Cardo Packtalk Bolds and are happy with them. Have mounts on both bike and sled helmets, boom mics on sled helmets (modular) and stick-on for bike (full face). Good range unless you fall too far behind in the woods, good battery life depending on how cold it is. I carry a portable battery bank with me so I can plug them in when we stop for lunch. Haven't had to use customer service, so no comment on that.

x2 on the packtalk bolds, I highly recommend getting the better speaker (JBL) option they offer....those things vibrate my ear lobes.. I truly believe this adds another level of safety when riding in your group.

thomasjon

Purchased three UClear Motion 6 devices after reading several comments with good/bad feedback. They work fine, easy to pair and have several speaker/mic options. Tested with open face helmets and audio was clear. Didn't seem to matter where the microphones are located inside the helmet. The noise cancellation worked good. Decided to go with UClear Motion 6 as a lower cost option with Mesh technology.

My rationale is that communicators are only useful if you can get riding partners to spend the money. UClear provides a more affordable option.

ProTip: Upgrading firmware via laptop USB cable only takes 30 seconds. Upgrading with my phone took an hour.

harski

I picked up the Cardo Packtalk Bolds last season and I have only used it to listen to music. It worked well once you learn the voice commands and the battery lasted most of the day when listening to music the entire time. I've picked up two more this fall and will be installing them in both of my daughter's helmets so we can communicate as they are beginner riders (plus they just want to talk which I'm really not looking forward too! LOL!).

wiscrev

Cardos claim they can pair to any device. Don't know about all of them but I've paired to others in my group.

snoden

Can you add 4 riders? Which model of the cardo is the best for snowmobilers? There are so many choices.
Up to 25 riders can be added to one group with the Cardo Packtalk Bold. The new communicator from Cardo does not use an external antenna but has all the same features as the Packtalk bold.

Interceptor

Another vote for packtalk bold. I’ve tried nearly every brand and they are the best. Good functions of intercom and music, etc.The phone function is flawless as well.
i hate helmet speakers and instead use earbuds. Just my preference as it cuts down ambient noise as well.

marty700

I just switched from old-school Collett Communicators to Packtalk Bold units. The Collett's used 900 MHz technology, which really had good range - nearly a mile. The Packtalk folks advertise a lot less than that range. I'm wondering how far - in reality - the range will be with bluetooth communicators. I'm using these primarily for communicating, and don't care about answering my phone or listening to music. Is there anyone with actual experience/knowledge using these to communicate who can estimate the range between the first rider and the next rider (I realize that they chain-connect)?

Interceptor

Well range on communicators is variable. I’ve had two versions of collette and was not impressed with either. Never remotely got close to a one mile range (on snow) with any communicator I’ve ever owned.
Palktalk in my experience is similar. If I can see who i’M riding with I can talk to him. Even if someone gets out of range on a Cardo unit they resync when back in range. I’ve only used two units so can’t attest to extended link with multiple riders joined in.
Even given this, Cardo is the best I’ve experienced.

dfattack

Well range on communicators is variable. I’ve had two versions of collette and was not impressed with either. Never remotely got close to a one mile range (on snow) with any communicator I’ve ever owned.
Palktalk in my experience is similar. If I can see who i’M riding with I can talk to him. Even if someone gets out of range on a Cardo unit they resync when back in range. I’ve only used two units so can’t attest to extended link with multiple riders joined in.
Even given this, Cardo is the best I’ve experienced.
Have you tried the uclear?

snoden

Is there anyone with actual experience/knowledge using these to communicate who can estimate the range between the first rider and the next rider (I realize that they chain-connect)?
My group (7 of us) have been using the Packtalk bold units the past couple of seasons. Range is going to be different depending on the trail. When on a grade with extreme snow dust a group of seven can get spread apart pretty far but the clear line of communication is never a problem between the first and last riders. I would say a mile is not an issue in that scenario. In the Twistee's I would give a 1/4 mile max if just 2 riders but that is really spread apart. The nice thing is your comm will let you know if you are out of range with your riding partners.

marty700

Many thanks for the info! Riding with family over the Holidays with the new Packtalk units. It's really nice to stay in contact. Too bad the Collette's went out of business. We really liked the range of those units. Seems like these should work for us though.

ICT Sledder

Speaking from motorcycle experience I’d go Cardo stuff and not look back. Wife and I have Sena units now - which for years were THE brand - but they’re pretty unimpressive.

All the other brands are throwing money away, IMO.