kbb values

snake

thanks in advance!! just wondering how accurate the kbb values are on sleds? are they usually hi,low ect....or is there a better source? happy new year to all and let the white stuff fly!!

fusionfool

Just checked price on my sled, 2011 Yamaha RS Vector LTX GT: Shows retail at $7,195 I was offered more than that last spring when I was checking trade in value. I would say they are a bit low on KBB. Just what I have found though. I do not have any other reference other than what I stated here.

Cat600

kbb always assumes that you are running the most miles a sled would run a year, regardless of snow conditions. So they have a straight depreciation on them, and are always lower than what they should be price wise.

Builder Bob

I have jaded opinions on "what it is worth". (and not sleds)
Professional apprasials, KBB, or your friends on JD, All have little to do with the better question,
What will someone pay?
Living in an area, with many potential purchasers may increase what will recieved for good (and services).
Items that have a local appeal are worth more. What is a worth more in San Fransico?, a snow shovel or a wok?
Has KBB considered that there is no ridable snow as of 1/1/13?
Look at the many homes "Under Water? Appraisers said it was worth $XX, 3 years ago, now it cannot be refi for $XX-40%.
How bad do you want to sell?
My sled is worth $2200, but if I want to sell in the next week, I will hope for $1500.
I have said little, I will just go back to staring at the grass stubble poking though the snow,
Best of Luck

zimmbob

I have jaded opinions on "what it is worth". (and not sleds)
Professional apprasials, KBB, or your friends on JD, All have little to do with the better question,
What will someone pay?
Living in an area, with many potential purchasers may increase what will recieved for good (and services).
Items that have a local appeal are worth more. What is a worth more in San Fransico?, a snow shovel or a wok?
Has KBB considered that there is no ridable snow as of 1/1/13?
Look at the many homes "Under Water? Appraisers said it was worth $XX, 3 years ago, now it cannot be refi for $XX-40%.
How bad do you want to sell?
My sled is worth $2200, but if I want to sell in the next week, I will hope for $1500.
I have said little, I will just go back to staring at the grass stubble poking though the snow,
Best of Luck

Totally with you. I just try to use those KBB values as a reference, not an absolute number. You'll also want to check what other items like yours are listed for in your area, via selling sites. eBay even helps some, as you can see, if you know how, items that have actually sold and their price. But, in the end, it's what will someone pay, and how hast do you want to sell it. A good deal goes fast. A typical deal a little longer, and an over-priced item has to find that one person out there that sees the same value in it as you do. Which may never happen. I see guys try to sell things and say "**** all the extra stuff I have on there is worth x, y, z, etc....". Maybe it was when you bought it, but maybe I, as the buyer, don't give a crap about he fancy this or super good that. It's worthless to me. People always ask me how I can sell my stuff so quickly. And it's very simple, I don't over value my crap. I've used it, I got value from it, and now I want it gone.

polarisrider1

This method has always worked well for me. Depreciate a sled $1 for each mile it has on it from retail. Taking into account time of year. extras weigh in as zero value. It seems a $5000 sled back in the day lasted about 5000 miles, and the newer $12,000 sleds better get at least 12,000 miles out of it. If you get more mileage then you are winning at this method. Keep in mind the sled will not ever depreciate to zero and in some cases will level off for some time such as the Edges have. By doing it this way I always sell my sleds promptly. Keep in mind I am referring to sleds that are maintained and kept indoors when not used. A sled that is stored/forgotten wherever the snow ran out (back yard without a cover) is worth nothing to me.

vx700xtc

IMO, the extras only count as 0 if you supply the oem parts also, otherwise I subtract 60% of the cost of the extras from the price.

This method has always worked well for me. Depreciate a sled $1 for each mile it has on it from retail. Taking into account time of year. extras weigh in as zero value. It seems a $5000 sled back in the day lasted about 5000 miles, and the newer $12,000 sleds better get at least 12,000 miles out of it. If you get more mileage then you are winning at this method. Keep in mind the sled will not ever depreciate to zero and in some cases will level off for some time such as the Edges have. By doing it this way I always sell my sleds promptly. Keep in mind I am referring to sleds that are maintained and kept indoors when not used. A sled that is stored/forgotten wherever the snow ran out (back yard without a cover) is worth nothing to me.

anonomoose

I think that values set by some "standard" such as KBB, NADA,Autotrader, etc...are more for insurance calculations and replacement values and less on what the machine is really worth.

We spend far too much time trying to calculate value when in reality, it doesn't matter that much IF you are trading for something else that is EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT. In other words, you can take less for your machine if you are getting a real deal on another sled to replace it and the sled is exactly what you are looking for and the price is right FOR YOU.

We know these things depreciate faster than an F-250 driven around the corner and right back into the dealership again. Boats, airplanes, you name it....nearly all big ticket items won't hold value well. Expect that when you buy....also remember that the sled you want is limited...like in...here it is...you buy it or someone else will and it is gone...not likely to be duplicated again.

If you are buying new...just like a car or truck or boat...the dealer you work with has some leeway and timing is everything...but Again....saving a couple hundred isn't worth scratching some salespersons eyes out...it's just the way it is.

Sometimes it is best to just work the deal and not over think things...knowing that there is a transition cost that you will pay and there is nothing you can do ABOUT it.

As stated above already, value is in the eye of the beholder and at a single moment in time...the rest is fluff!