keweenaw off trail this weekend

snowfan470

Hey john,

What are your thoughts on off trail conditions for this weekend? We are coming up thursday, so looks like that day will be fine. I know it looks like some rain is in the forecast friday..do you think that'll make it not worth coming up to ride backroads? I probably can't come back up until the 2nd weekend in march..so who knows what will happen by then.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it all depends on what you are hoping for. There will still be tons of snow, the rain we are to get will barely put a dent in it. It will be the quality. Kinda soggy on the first 6-10 inches on Friday and then will firm up once temps drop later Sat into Sunday.

-John

bcorn

Hey john,

What are your thoughts on off trail conditions for this weekend? We are coming up thursday, so looks like that day will be fine. I know it looks like some rain is in the forecast friday..do you think that'll make it not worth coming up to ride backroads? I probably can't come back up until the 2nd weekend in march..so who knows what will happen by then.

Well how was it ,heading up tomorrow staying at Krupps.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got home from Twin Lakes. The snow has settled a ton since last weekend. Today's off trail snow was mash potato snow. Depending on how cold it gets tonight and through the week, it's going to be pretty firm that's for sure. A good 12-18 inches of fresh sure would help.

snowfan470

Yeah, definitely has settled big time. Measured 95-100 cm (around 40 inches) on thursday with my snow probe, yesterday measured a general 80-85 cm (32-33 inches). Yesterday (friday), riding in the trees off Alston trail was still pretty good, partly because the snow below the top 6-8 inches was still powder. Today, the top 1.5 ft or more of snow was all wet due to the warm temp all night an rain, which just made it difficult for carving/sidehilling etc. So it'll be a firm snowpack for sure once it freezes. Definitely need fresh snow.