Kind of trailer to buy?? Likes dislikes?

indianaskidoo

I am looking to buy a new trailer. What kind do you like? 7' wide inline, 8' wide or 8.5'? looking to haul 2 long tracks and sometimes a third short track. What pulls best in the winter snow? 7 is easier to see around but 8.5 would haul a car if I wanted to. Just looking for ideas on what people like. Thanks

mjkaliszak

I have a 3 plc R & R inline. It's the extra tall model and I wouldn't buy another, it tows Ok but have had the wind push it a couple of times on black ice. it sticks up 1.5 ft higher than the top of my suburban. I would buy the lowest inline I could find. From the pics in LVR1000's links , his trailer looks pretty nice.
IMO

rakins800

for me,enclosed inline all the way. new is nice,but used can be found for the right price if you are willing to shop and wait for the right deal. I found a used 2007 Triton inline,16 ft. box with a 5 ft. V, with track mats and guides, all aluminum,double axle, with cabinet, spring assist doors front and rear for 5 thousand dollars. priced it new at about $12,000. you would need the longer unit for what you're hauling,so the price would be more,but good deals are out there........you just have to look. IMHO

polarisrider1

You get what you pay for. I do not like Hallmark,or R&R. I had a United Expressline that was okay. I asked a trailer manufacturer at a snow show what drives what they make. The answer was Cheap is what the public wants. So we build cheap. Then the public is pissed at what they get. What are you willing to spend and what do you want the trailer to do? My dream trailer would cost ten grand. I spent $2300 and got (brand deleted) junk this time. But it only needs to get me around a few weekends a yr. so it will do. You get what you pay for in trailers as in anything.

ezra

in the sport we all play in the trailer is the place I lose the least amount of money at resale

favoritos

in the sport we all play in the trailer is the place I lose the least amount of money at resale

There is a lot of truth to that. We also use our trailer as the storage unit in the off season. It is nice to have good trailer that can do double duty.

To the original question, we have gone to inline enclosed. Get the best trailer you can with enough inside height to stand. You would be surprised how much more you will use the trailer for basic repairs etc. The aluminum trailers do tow nice if you decide to go that route.

dragon_07

We bought a Triton prestige about five years ago and it was the best purchase we ever made. We had a three place sled bed before that and it did a fine job and now serves as our atv hauler. For me going to an enclosed trailer was well worth the money, as others have mentioned it doubles as a storage unit. Everyone has their personal preference when it comes to brands, I cant say anything bad about the Triton we own.

sleddog66

I have a Triton prestige inline 3 place. It is the taller version(6'6" I think). The trailer is the best I have had, and I have had open 2 and 4 place and full width enclosed and now, inline. The only issue that I had was my 1/2 ton truck. On a windy day, it could be a bit of a hand full on big cross winds. My buddy pulls it with a 3/4 ton without issue. Anyway, I set up a custom load distribution system....problem solved. I do wish that they offered it in a spread axle version. That would be nice.

jim_golding

Enclosed is the only way to go. I have a 4 place side by side aluminum Bearcat. I have owned it for about 4 to 5 year now. It is holding up great. I can load and unload 4 sleds quickly and easily. It is about 5' tall inside but it is not a problem starting (pull) the sleds. It pulls great with my half ton Ford.

peter

My brother got a Lightning brand 3 place inline what is made by R&R. It cost him about $6200 brand new from some place in IN. He tells me there is about 5000 miles on it with no problems or regrets. I did use it couple times myself last winter and my next trailer will be a inline forsure. I like the multiuse of the inline for sleds, bikes, atv or whatever.

mjkaliszak

More suggestions

When I buy next in line, I will make sure that I get the Stainless steel hardware package and the aluminum rims. I didn't mean to be negative regarding the extra tall model however I found too much resistance ( wind ) at times for my liking. At least I don't hit my head when I stand up. My original thinking when I bought it 4 years ago is " I be damned if I'm going to own a $6300 trailer that I can't stand up straight in ".
Food For Thought................

Hoosier

seems like the big decision is whether to go tall to stand-up in vs. short pull easy...

We have an open trailer but I day-dream of the day we can go to enclosed.

indianaskidoo

So I guess inline sounds like the way to go with the aluminum package(frame and wheels). On the height what do you say is extra tall? I have seen them from 5’ to 6’6” (I believe) or maybe even taller (inside height). I was kind of thinking about 6’ inside height.

mvedepo

I love the inlines. I also prefer the 6' 6" (really about 6' 4" inside height). Check out the Legends, Triton Prestige, and the R&R's.

mjkaliszak

Don't rule out the SS hardware (door latches ). The galvanized after a few years start to corrode and look kind of junky ( IMO ). For some comparison my 3 plc inline R&R extra tall weights 2100 lbs. I also put a wheel jack on the front, R&R started doing that last year I think, it helps move it over a few inches when I get sick of jumping in & out of the truck. I also put the thicker link chains on with the spring loaded big hooks.