Klim Covert Balaclava Feedback?

scottd

I'm thinking about trying one of these this year but as with all Klim gear the price always makes me hesitant. I have basically wound up with all Klim other than head and feet so far though. Anyways I have been thinking about the covert balaclava but I usually cannot stand ones that cover your mouth especially if there is any tightness (I wear size L helmet not XXXXXL). Since this one has the holes it may be better but again i'm a little hesistant to drop $50 on a balaclava that I won't like. If you have one how do you like it? Is it tight at all in the mouth area? Assuming with the right fabric there it never is really getting wet from your breathing? Any comments in general on it? The thought of a better coverage in the neck and maybe make the face area a little warmer is appealing to me though.

Thanks

S

skylar

I love mine, but since I usually don't like something covering my mouth, I place just below my bottomlip, seems to work for me. I do like the beter coverage in the neck also.

I picked up a new Klim helmet this year also, so I am Klim head to foot. LOL

scottd

It's large enough to move below your lips if desired? Then i'm sold if I have the option. I just have one that covers the mouth and the opening isn't big enough to allow the option and therefore I NEVER wear it.

Thanks

miaferominka

The only balaclava I will ever wear and I have a XXXL dome....... Great protection for the neck. At the snow show they were selling for $38

dab102999

How about warmth?? My momma gets pretty cold. The only thing she found that works is turtle fur (keep the laughs to yourself) but it is a little to bulky under the helmet. And on warm days you sweat like a bugger in that thing. I saw them and have no problem trying it to see if it works until I saw the price. $10 for something that don't work ain't to hard to swallow but $50...

marty__kms

I have always hated wearing a Balaclava, tried a standard Klim Balaclava ($23.99) two years ago, I now will refuse to ride without it, literally nothing better. In regard to the Covert Balaclava a little confining for my tastes, but I’m positive will work well.

As far as where to buy, support your local dealer or you may not have one down the road. I wonder how the internet and snow show vendors will do servicing your sleds…LOL.

scottd

I will mail order it. In general I do agree with trying to support a local dealer don't get me wrong, but..... The closet dealer to me that carries Klim is > 60 miles from my house. I have a Polaris and a Cat and both stay 99% of the time at our camp in the UP. Near our camp the Polaris dealer has been fine for what little I have done there. The Cat dealer local to our camp has been rude and not helpful the three times I have been there so they have lost my business unless it's under extreme need. For me I do 100% of the servicing of my sleds so I am looking for parts only. Neither of those places carry Klim (unless it's a new thing that they do anyways). At any rate I was/am interested in feedback on the product not where to purchase it.

marty__kms

Sorry Scott didn't really mean to direct the comment “at” you, just a general statement. I notice your in the Chicago area, with that in mind (lived there 18 years) it is difficult to find good snowmobile dealer down there.

scottd

And I did not mean to come across grumpy, sorry. Yes where I live my local dealers are not very "local" so it is hard to try and support them. I do try to support the ones in the Yoop when I can (other than the Cat dealer near us up there, they have lost that).

lookin4snow

I have the regular Klim balaclava and use it all the time for trail riding. The Windstopper material works great. For the mountains or when in the powder, however, I find that I cannot get enough air through the balaclava to breathe. So, the Covert has the advantage of having the holes to breathe through. I have not ponied up the $50 for one. Instead, I wear the Klim to get into the backcountry and then switch over to a regular balaclava. It’s not that big of a deal for me, as I have to take a layer off when in the backcountry anyway, so the helmet is already off. I am somewhat of a poster child for Klim as well……

119416.jpg

polarisrider1

Isn't it amazing that Klim has been around only 10 years. They make a great product in all areas of what they do. I'm a poster child for Klim to. found to shop the "snot out of Klim wear and buy last yr. closeouts at the snow shows. Got some more sweet Klim wear at Novi. Money well spent. The balaclava I have yet to buy. My head don't get cold.

marty__kms

Sam,

No, I'm just a smartass most the time, pretty good sled dealer though.

Anyway, I see you do protection with the Sheppard’s, excellent! I used to train up in Grays Lake and Racine area with my Doby, did several years of Schutzhund before life took me elsewhere.

Back to Klim, excelent stuff!

revman

I have one and it's ok. It's pretty cold though, but I have a modular helmet that is pretty cold. It fits nice and everything else, just not the warmest thing I've had on my head.

REVman

dac37

Have Bombardier Modular Helmet 2, what balaclava works best with this helmet. Cant seem to find one that I really like and is comfortable. thanks