Klim or Castle heated gloves

euphoric1

While having breakfast at Char's Cafe in Bruce Crossing we overheard and talked to some riders about heated gloves. We had an accident a couple years ago and as the reason for and as result of we removed the gauntlets from my wife's sled, and there are times when it gets really cold (like this weekend) her fingers still get cold with heated grips. Does anyone have either Klim or Castle heated gloves? experiences? worth the money? and do they really run for the amount of time they claim to? any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

gpt

When I've talked to others about their heated gloves and battery life, there is always disappointment. I've got some of the coldest hands know to mankind and have had the FXR Recon gloves for about 4 seasons and I really like them. I get about 3.5hours of use on low. They all seem to use the same 7.4v lithium battery pack at 2000mah in size so the battery life is going to be similar for many of these products. For all day riding you are going to want at least two battery packs.

Last edited:

euphoric1

When I've talked to others about their heated gloves and battery life, there is always disappointment. I've got some of the coldest hands know to mankind and have had the FXR Recon gloves for about 4 seasons and I really like them. I get about 3.5hours of use on low. They all seem to use the same 7.4v lithium battery back at 2000mah in size so the battery life is going to be similar for many of these products. For all day riding you are going to want at least two battery packs.
My wife and I like to put on the miles, not uncommon for 200 - 250 mile day, I appreciate the unput as they claim for up to 6 hours and it looks like the gloves heat the top of hand and the fingers, just seems like the answer outside of gauntlets. Thank you gpt I appreciate it!

gpt

Glad to help. Most decent heated gloves will heat the top of the hand and fingers. Some cheap ones only warm the hand itself. For my hands, on a not-too-cold day, I've found that if I get my hands warm enough via handlebar warmers and gloves I can often turn off the gloves and the handlebars are enough. I have to use gauntlets though or it's a losing battle no matter what I do.

fjr4me

My wife uses a Gerbing set up (G4 12v -Glove with jacket liner) that she originally used just for motorcycling, but has used them when it is going to be -10F or colder on her sled.

Most of the time, both us us are good with just the Ski Doo rigid gauntlets and grip heaters, in all but the coldest conditions.
We average 150-250 mile days very often.

You can use the G4 glove with a Y-Harness, instead of with the liner. It is a little less hassle plugging the gloves into liner sleeves vs. the Y-harness.
You have to deal with plugging into the sled, but never worry about running out of battery power. Depending on your typical day on the trails would likely determine the direction to go. Most sleds don't have much excess amps to play with, but with her 900 Ace 4-stroke Blizzard, she gets by with it, without stressing out the charging coils to much. You just need to keep the liner heat to a minimum and adjust the gloves as needed.

2TrakR

I run these or the previous version (have to look if mine are G3 or G4). All day heat, no batteries, no weak output after a couple hours.
I don't use the heated grips when these are on unless it's stupid cold out.

When the sun sets, bump it up one or two clicks and stay super comfortable; with battery gear, when the sun set it was fumble with another battery and fuss that it's just not putting out much heat.

sr22ger

I own FXR Recon's with two sets of batteries, a pair of Fly heated gloves that I bought out of necessity from the Polaris dealer south of Houghton, and picked up the pair of Klim's before last season.

The Recon's are the warmest and seem to be the most durable. They are also the bulkiest. The issue that I have with their gloves was the battery packs. They have a tag end wire connector that has either broken off both leads or at least one lead on three of four battery packs. Had I noticed the problem earlier, I would have wrapped them with duct tape or something to make them more secure. Right now they are sitting on my desk waiting for me to attempt to resolder the connections without burning down the lithium batteries in my face... The other issue is that the button is difficult to push with gloves on or at speed. I haven't looked at more recent models, but these were from 2018ish. Things might have changed!

I can't say I would recommend the Klim gloves. They just aren't very comfortable. The lining seems to be bunching up on the inside, and they aren't as warm as the other two pairs. The battery packs are well made. The grip is a bit slicker than my other pairs. Another issue for me is that the velcro zipper that holds the battery pack inside the glove can be cumbersome to open up.

The Fly's are really my favorites out of the three. They have held up well in three seasons of use both on the sled as well as around the house. They are warm as well. They were also the cheapest ones I found. If they are still made/you can find them, I'd recommend them.

I haven't had experience with the Castle version. They were late to the game and I haven't looked into a new pair considering my other arsenal! I do have a couple of pairs of their non-heated gloves and other gear and have found the stuff they have made lately to be pretty darn good.

As the others said, they all seem to use the same or similar batteries. I can use all of the battery packs on any of the gloves, although I think the FXR's might have a slightly different connector that works but isn't a perfect fit. Two sets are needed for cold days no questions asked. Heated gloves were game changing for me as my digits were constantly numb in lower temps and guantlets are scary in a lot of situations.

Reactions: gpt
G

G

Ordered up Gear brand glove liners and socks and all the associated controllers and wiring. Snomoman convinced me. Thanks Snomoman! The Gear equipment runs off the sled so there will be no battery worries. I already carry too much stuff with me - I don't want to have to carry spare battery packs with me also. So when I receive this stuff I will hook it all up and give a report. It seems kind of spendy but if you are not comfortable riding then what is the point?

euphoric1

all this information is great! sounds like pro's and cons both ways, the wired ones only concern me as now you have more cables hanging around along with helmet cable and would be afraid adding a liner inside the glove would make it too bulky but on the other hand the "claimed" battery life by the cordless ones seem like a wet dream, Am leaning more towards those however and will check into the FRX's, she currently wears Klim and so do I in conjunction with my gauntlets and will admit too, not impressed with Klim fit. When it gets really cold I wear a pair of Castle mitts with finger again with gauntlets, I will look at the FXR's and see how they look, either way extra battery backs sound like a must.

snomoman

Ordered up Gear brand glove liners and socks and all the associated controllers and wiring. Snomoman convinced me. Thanks Snomoman! The Gear equipment runs off the sled so there will be no battery worries. I already carry too much stuff with me - I don't want to have to carry spare battery packs with me also. So when I receive this stuff I will hook it all up and give a report. It seems kind of spendy but if you are not comfortable riding then what is the point?
You won’t be disappointed grub, once you get the wires all organized you wished you would’ve bought it years ago, I have this set up along with gauntlets and heated handgrips, I have never had cold hands yet

heckler56

You won’t be disappointed grub, once you get the wires all organized you wished you would’ve bought it years ago, I have this set up along with gauntlets and heated handgrips, I have never had cold hands yet
Are we talking “First Gear”? I have had my First Gear glove liners for 10 years now and do not ride without. In this time I have worn out gloves, but not the liners…

Battery gloves will be trash once the glove part wears. 12v glove liners (look at motorcycle stores for them) should outlast gloves, it has for me.

ICT Sledder

Can you run heated gear off of the electrical system of the average two stroke sled? Over and above the current draw for the grips?

I mean it works on motorcycles due to alternators, but even then you have to watch carefully how much load you're putting on the system. Even the big touring bikes can't run a bunch of heated gear items. Just a few, and run the voltage draw numbers before you do.

euphoric1

Can you run heated gear off of the electrical system of the average two stroke sled? Over and above the current draw for the grips?

I mean it works on motorcycles due to alternators, but even then you have to watch carefully how much load you're putting on the system. Even the big touring bikes can't run a bunch of heated gear items. Just a few, and run the voltage draw numbers before you do.
this was also my other concern with wired gloves, hooking it up to battery if you start drawing more than the engine is replacing you could end up with issues...I think. Heating elements generally draw more than other accessories and if you are running grips, lever heated shield, could open up some new issues. Does anyone know what the amp output is on average sleds?

heckler56

The company is not first gear but “gears”, I think mine was third generation

Last edited:

heckler56

this was also my other concern with wired gloves, hooking it up to battery if you start drawing more than the engine is replacing you could end up with issues...I think. Heating elements generally draw more than other accessories and if you are running grips, lever heated shield, could open up some new issues. Does anyone know what the amp output is on average sleds?
Draws 0.7amp (I suspect on “high” it has that draw but I have never put it above 1/2). Never had an issue with 3 sleds and 10 years. Just replaced my 10 battery on the back up sled as it was a 10 year old battery and it could struggle to start my four stroke.

lofsfire

I have the FXR Recon gloves and love them! I also have the Gears glove liners (just the glove liners) My son has used these and love them! If you buy them make sure you buy the adjustable dial not just the on/off switch. He turned them off after just a couple of minutes his hands were so hot.

I'm not sure the current draw but I had no problem running my GPS, my hand grips, heated shield, and my seat heater on high with his gloves on high. That's on a 2015 ZR 9000.

The biggest issue with the Gears It's just like the heated shield for the helmet. You've got a cord that you have to deal with. The nice part if you have other gears products you only need one plug-in point.

With all that said the one thing I'm surprised hasn't come up is the construction of the gloves themselves. When you look at the thermal reading of those Recon gloves they're one of the highest rated gloves there is. So not only does it keep the cold out but helps keep the warm in better... With that said I've tried a number of gloves over the years and my favorite by far have been the FXR. My FRX Fuel are my everyday gloves and starting out riding I save the Recons for the end of the day or if it's really cold.

I also run the Powermadd 34500 handguards which really seem to help block a lot of the cold. I've tried the gauntlets and while they keep your hands super warm. Even to the point of riding with just a mechanics glove. I just didn't like the confinement of my hands inside gauntlets.

Both my kids are riding their own sleds this year so I think I'm just going to put the wiring pigtail on each of our sleds for the Gears liners and throw the liners in my bag. Between that and the Recon gloves we should be fine if someone is cold.

The biggest downfall, as said above, for the FXR Recons is the battery. If they can make these a hybrid model so they could be plugged in and charge the battery at the same time or runoff battery they would be perfect. Yes, you could actually make a transformer to get it to the correct voltage but the plug that the battery plugs into is a weak point. Under normal use it's not a problem. But having a long wire dangle out of it and get pulled on it wouldn't last long.

Lastly, one more thing about FXR they have a 3-year warranty on all their products. I had zero issues with the claim on a pair of gloves two and a half years ago.

There are some battery operated gloves on Amazon they're cheap junk don't even bother looking at them. Friend of mine bought them just for shoveling the driveway. He said they weren't even good for that. Wind cut right through. Even though they felt like they were nice big and puffy with lots of insulation. This is definitely one of those cases where you get what you pay for. Only thing good he had to say about those were at since they were from Amazon they took them back no questions asked.

Last edited:

lofsfire

The other issue is that the button is difficult to push with gloves on or at speed. I haven't looked at more recent models, but these were from 2018ish. Things might have changed!

Yes, you're correct 2018 and below had the buttons on the outside of your arm. 2019 and up have the buttons on the thumb side much easier to use!

euphoric1

Thank you again for all the information and input, I have decided against hard wired gloves for a few reasons and as far as battery ones I am going to order a pair of FXR, seems everyone is happy with theirs, has all 5 star reviews and sounds like a good warranty and a company who stands with the warranty and doesn't just put a timeframe out there. Thanks again everyone! Much appreciated!