La Nada?

dereks2623

Hi John,
A guy i work with follows the NOAA site and he was trying to explain to me that they are now saying the La Nada (he did show me the term on the site because i didnt believe him) is in play for this winter which mainly means no change at all in the ocean temps. This is the first i have heard of La Nada ever. Is it even real or did they just throw Nada into the name meaning "Nada thing is happening". Also by the way i constantly am explainng to my co-worker if he is looking for a better forcast for the upper midwest that your site is the one to go to, sooner or later i will get him to believe!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's not really a legitimate term, but is sometimes used as slang for the ENSO being in the "neutral" phase.

Just to clarify, there have been changes in the Pacific Ocean temps in the region El Nino and La Nina happen. They almost never stay constant. They warmed from the La Nina phase of last winter to levels very close to (and in some cases into) the level of El Nino through the summer and very early autumn. They have since backed off some, but are still warmer than average, just not warm enough to be classified as an El Nino. The general trend seems to be for some additional cooling, so it is looking like the El Nino for this winter that was forecasted late this past summer and early autumn is going to be a head fake instead.

-John