Lake Ice Conditions

What's the lake ice looking like at Twin Lakes? Fishable still?
I'm tossing the idea around of bringing some gear and fishing Thursday until the snow starts.

mezz

I would be on the cautious side, it's been a tad sketchy, even in the small bodies of water. Check with some reliable local sources first.-Mezz

whitedust

Know your lake be conservative but my lake holding up very well has 12"+ close too shore should be more further out. I did measure some crack separations that could catch a ski & cause problems so steer clear of long wet areas under snow cover very well could be cracks & toss you off if you hit just right. Again know your lake and stay close to markings if marked.

C

Cirrus_Driver

Be very careful on lakes right now guys. Last weekend I had 60+ degree's on Friday/Saturday in south central Vilas, about 4 mi west of Eagle Riv on Hwy 70.
We were walking with dog on our lake on Saturday, walking the edge. This is a very small lake, maybe 15 feet deep max - in the middle. Wife decided to stray from the edge to check out an open "Beaver hole", 30 yards from shore.
Big mistake - in a flash she went down, up to her hip with one leg, and didn't touch bottom. I pulled her out quickly, but it was a shocking wake-up. Scary thing.

whitedust

I see most of the clubs in N. Wi are reporting that they pulled barrels and stakes from most of there lakes!

No trail markers on marked lakes do not ride. Phelps had some idiot destroy markers on North Twin with an ATV so those are gone for the wrong reasons. :(

G

G

That will be an easy one to get out. It is close to shore. Dropping one out in the middle of the lake in 30 feet is a lot more exciting.

radsrh

Think again. if you are not driving on a legal roadway the insurance WILL NOT COVER ANY DAMAGE. cars and trucks are made to drive on the road not a lake. Most if not all will not cover any damage driving off road through the woods either.

- - - Updated - - -

A few years ago I know someone that dropped a brand new full size dressed out suv there trailer and new sleds through the ice. insurance covered $0 of all the damage.

ridindirty800

Think again. if you are not driving on a legal roadway the insurance WILL NOT COVER ANY DAMAGE. cars and trucks are made to drive on the road not a lake. Most if not all will not cover any damage driving off road through the woods either.

- - - Updated - - -

A few years ago I know someone that dropped a brand new full size dressed out suv there trailer and new sleds through the ice. insurance covered $0 of all the damage.

Seems like now days almost all insurance companies pay for vehicle going through ice. I know mine says they cover the cost to recover and replace vehicle 1 time only if you go through the ice. You need to check but many do, i am sure there are some that do not as well.

radsrh

boy if that's true I would be shocked. years ago I hit a deer, no deductible payed in full because it was an act of God. couple years ago I hit a turkey and they charged the deductible and said that no longer applied.

G

G

Seems like now days almost all insurance companies pay for vehicle going through ice. I know mine says they cover the cost to recover and replace vehicle 1 time only if you go through the ice. You need to check but many do, i am sure there are some that do not as well.

Several years ago a friend lost one on Lake Of The Woods. He got stuck on a breaker and went to get help. When he got back the ice had opened up and the truck was gone. His insurance company paid but said it was a one time deal. The next one would be on him. He rides shotgun now when he goes ice fishing. In Mn you have to get the vehicle out as soon as humanly possible or face fines from the DNR. The hiring of cold water divers and specialized extraction vehicles is very costly. And when you get the vehicle out it is junk anyway.

chords

I have a hard time believing that any ins company covers an auto for a total loss that drops thru the ice on a lake.
Or even pay for recovery.
Beside the storys of a friend of a friend or most will pay, can anyone admit to a first hand
experience ?​

Last edited:
G

G

I have a hard time believing that any ins company covers an auto for a total loss that drops thru the ice on a lake.
Or even pay for recovery.
Beside the storys of a friend of a friend or mine will pay or most will pay, can anyone (besides Slacker} admit to a first hand
experience ?​
Look at it another way. If a 50 thou vehicle gets sold on credit a comprehensive insurance policy is required. This is partly to recover the money should the vehicle be destroyed. A destroyed vehicle is a destroyed vehicle whether it falls through the ice or it gets hit by a train.

chords

Yes a vehicle sold on credit requires a full ins coverage, but if ins does not cover loss then credit holder is on the line to pay, No ? Same as non payment default. Just seems like it would come back to a signature on the dotted line