Lake Thunder

rph130

Yesterday, late afternoon, early evening, I was out on the deck prepping the grill for a bbq. I heard what sounded like thunder in the distance. I went out towards the lake side of the deck and heard what sounded like an underwater explosion. Scared the hell out of me as after the eruption, I heard the ice crack, splashing water near the shore and the dock and boat lift creaked. I have lived in the Wisconsin Northwoods part time for 27 years and have heard the lake "burp" before but nothing like this. It continued periodically until about 10 pm when I took the dog out for the last time and went to bed. My wife took the dog out this morning and said the underwater thunder is still happening and she hears ice breaking and water splashing. I get it that it is a weird winter, but I have never heard this before and am wondering if anybody else is seeing/hearing this. And no.....I had not had any cocktails yet when it happened.

ddhanna

I hear it all the time. It means you are making ice big time. Usually when ice is less than a foot or so and in December for a typical winter.

pclark

Making ice and and displacing ice. Lots of ice moving onshore this year, I had to move my shore stations up further because it’s creeping up. It bent my neighbors lift leg, just got back from Florida, was checking things out.

rph130

Walked down to the lake yesterday after I posted and saw where cracks and movement had occurred and blew out the ice along some big boulders and a downed log that was in the water along shore. Surface ice was pretty much honeycombed, and I think that maybe it was so loud is because there is no snow cover on lake to deaden the sound.

BigSix

I was in Eagle River over the weekend and was visiting my son (he rented a cabin on Sunset Lake) and I heard was sounded like rock music coming from the north shore of the lake. We walked down to the shore and the noise was coming from what sounded like underneath the ice. There is about 8-10" of ice on that lake. The sounds were coming from all directions of the lake. When I was up in that area in the past winters, there was always at least 2' of snow on the ice so maybe we couldn't hear it then.

mike1970

Same thing happened at our lake in NW Wisc. a couple weeks ago. 9 p.m. and I was unloading the SUV when I heard a loud rumble of thunder. It went from one end of the lake to another and lasted at least 5 seconds, maybe longer. I actually had to look up in sky to see it was clear and the stars were out. Such a weird year!
I'm predicting ice out for our lake late next week, weather depending. Less than 5 inches out there now and high 50s, low 60s in the forecast for the upcoming weekend.

pclark

Here is what the ice has done this year, never has happened before. Ice has been expanding and contracting a lot this year, only about 6-8" on our lake which is really thin, normal this time of year could be 2+feet.

Neighbor just needs to get the lower leg of the shore station and he will be good as new, ice is really powerful.

1708974348719.png
1708974386344.png

dfattack

Here is what the ice has done this year, never has happened before. Ice has been expanding and contracting a lot this year, only about 6-8" on our lake which is really thin, normal this time of year could be 2+feet.

Neighbor just needs to get the lower leg of the shore station and he will be good as new, ice is really powerful.

View attachment 69651
View attachment 69652
Paul,

Does your neighbor leave the lift in all winter? they don't remove it?

dfattack

Lake_Dock - PTZ_20240226134429_12002890.jpeg
This is my dock. Look at the approach and notice how the ground has been pushed back. This usually happens every year but this year is by far the most it's been pushed up on shore since I've had it which is now 23 years. Keep in mind I have (106) 8X8 treated posts jack hammered 4' into the bottom of the lake supporting the dock. The ice moves this dock around with no problem. The installer said dock would never move. He was wrong.

pclark

Paul,

Does your neighbor leave the lift in all winter? they don't remove it?
Bob, they drop the chain 3.5ft every fall, we just pull our lifts up as close to shore and it’s usually fine. See picture of how it looks with the water down. That way we don’t have to haul them up on the banks.
1708993200369.jpeg

pclark

View attachment 69653
This is my dock. Look at the approach and notice how the ground has been pushed back. This usually happens every year but this year is by far the most it's been pushed up on shore since I've had it which is now 23 years. Keep in mind I have (106) 8X8 treated posts jack hammered 4' into the bottom of the lake supporting the dock. The ice moves this dock around with no problem. The installer said dock would never move. He was wrong.
Nice looking dock system DF

jjj70095

I got my dock de-icer in early this year (jan) and have had no major problems. Have kept lift in year round for 10 years now. It is an old steel lift.

Attachments

• feb 2024.jpg
    feb 2024.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 26

dfattack

I got my dock de-icer in early this year (jan) and have had no major problems. Have kept lift in year round for 10 years now. It is an old steel lift.
I envy you. I've always wanted one. I may have discussed with you in the past but not sure. I didn't want the liability since I'm not always there and didn't want neighbor kids or pets falling into the open water. Couldn't get myself to do it but would love the benefits of the dock not moving.

jjj70095

As long as you have an "open water sign" , flags, ropes, etc you will not be held liable. Just follow DNR rules and regulations.

My cousin puts his deicer on March 15 for a day or two and that does the trick for him and his permanent dock. Although, permanent docks may move when the ice first grips it in December.... I have my friend do a weekly check of the dock if I am not there.....

Looks like a nice corner lot. And that dock has held up good for 23 years, assuming you did not need any repairs or flattening.

Last edited:

whitedust

New method in SE WI for permanent piers is to pound in steel support pylons those piers ain’t moving but cost a bunch.Cribs and wood are long gone.