last week of july and first week of august

michaeladams

has anyone just headed out without reservations? just winged it? I will be staying away from Sturgis and just cruising around. going to take hwy 18 out of Wisconsin till it ends in Wyoming then just see where it goes. can you just find a place to camp for the night and pitch a tent or are the rangers like pesky flies.

michaeladams

I'll answer my own damn question for all of you that were wondering. there appear to be dozens of free campgrounds and sites all over Wyoming Colorado and Montana. just google it and print out some maps of them. you can stay anywhere from 3 days to 16 days free of charge. so the answer is, yes you can just wing it out west and find plenty of overnight spots. if anyone is interested in tagging along cause you don't want to go alone let me know. I am a pretty good trip planner so you wont need to pay attention to where we are, just follow and be safe.

Firecatguy

sorry i cant be much help......we did head out last july on the same time period you are but we made res at Koa and hotels in the busy areas.....Glacier good luck even the koa was full but when you get away from them places like that your fine, we had no issue finding campgrounds for the 23 days we were out......but again I had res at places like Glacier and Yosemite......