lean to

joks79

John,
In your latest journal you showed one picture of your lean to. I am in the planning process of a lean to off of my garage. How did you attach it to the existing building? Can you post some more pictures on it? If you don't want to post them can you email me some? Thanks for the help.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I just attached the rafters of the lean too to the tails of the rafters of the shop. I am going to brace the tails with a 2 x that angles down at a 45 to the wall to provide support, as I am sure that the tails were not engineered to hold the weight it will with the lean too on them.

Once everything is done, I will post some pics.

-John

coldbear

Keeping family warm this winter...

John I thought you had a lean too last year. Have I missed something in your journals? How many cord of wood will you be starting with this fall/winter season? What kind of hardwoods do you desire for the boilers? 2many questions?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I actually put it up 2 years ago, but in a very hurried fashion and knew that I would have to re-do certain parts and that is what I did this past Sept. Just re-did some aspects like the roofing and support columns.

I got 6 cord of wood and had about 1.5-2 left over. That will last me the winter.

It really does not matter what kind of hardwood I burn in my boiler. It can even be wet and does not need to be split.

-John

thunderstruck88

What, you've never heard the term?

Wikipedia: Lean-to.
In this case :'Cuz it "leans to" the other (pre-existing) structure.

hey Nash when you add on a off building we call it a shed or plain and simple an addition in all my life I have never heard of a lean to but glad I learn something new today Never too old or young to learn about anything thanks for the explanation ;)

frnash

hey Nash when you add on a off building we call it a shed or plain and simple an addition in all my life I have never heard of a lean to but glad I learn something new today Never too old or young to learn about anything thanks for the explanation ;)

I think the more common definition relates to the fact that a lean-to depends in the wall of the associated building for structural support, while a shed (or an "addition") is usually four-sided, thus has its own structural integrity, and could stand alone.

Last edited:

xyooper

probably a finlander term, Hey Eino I see you aint botchu a level yet dat new addition on your garage leans too.