Leaves Turning In Phelps

whitedust

We have lots of maples and they are turning yellow & red already. I don't know if the early color will continue but some nights have been in the 30s with frost warnings. It has been cool and gray in late August so far but could mellow out. Fall in Vilas usually is very nice in mid 60s.

old abe

Very cool like August down here also WD. 80 degree days, 50's at nigth. Ive been wondering what we'll see in September??? Perhaps blistering hot???

G

G

Last week a Canadian town close to me had 34 degrees right before sun up. It is coming.

T

Tracker

this is from 5 days ago...guess where?

- - - Updated - - -

10 minutes ago

PS...here in America too

Last edited:
T

Tracker

Mt Rainier?

yes mount rainier...wouldn't that be fun trailering to that pass on a fire road and trying that this weekend

PS....OP wheres those leave pictures ya'll be talking bout willis?

mrbb

leaves here started changing color about 2 weeks ago
was 38 degree's this morning here too, had two days in August where it was 40 degree's

crazy cold for that time of yr here
sorry no NO pic's of leave's(can get some tomorrow if it stops raining)
but other evening while sitting on deck I had some company from the local wildlife!
a regular bear here, grew up here as a cub and is rather friendly
came and sat on deck with me for about 2 hrs LOL
like a big stray dog she is, maybe a 175 lbs or so, and recently tagged by the state

Attachments

• peanut on deck.jpg
    peanut on deck.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 55

mrbb

That's awesome!
I think so too, she is one of 17 different bears I had here this yr so far, now its getting colder and apples are dropping here I expect to have a few more before they den up
had 22 last yr

so far biggest this yr is a 600 lber, but he will be much heavier before winter
last yr has one in early July a little over 600 lbs, he should have been in the 800 lb range by winter, but have never seen him again, and he never got legally killed in hunting season, as I was able to get his ear tag info, and checked to see if he was killed?

Hoping to see him again, he was just HUGE
here's a couple pic's of him, he showed up about 25 times in a 3 week period, dogging a female, she would come up on my deck to get away from him,and he wasn't brave enough to come on my deck to get her, so he would take a nap waiting for her to come down, and I swear he used his nose like radar, as feet up in the air, eye's closed, not even looking her way, as soon as her feet hit the ground, he was UP and looking at her! and the chase was back on!
She had 2 cubs this spring from him too, both have his white V
and I did get to see them mate, so know there his, or pretty sure LOL

Attachments

• BIG V bear vids 001.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 001.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 39
  • BIG V bear vids 026.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 026.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 46
  • BIG V bear vids 028.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 028.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 45
  • BIG V bear vids 055.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 055.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 42
  • BIG V bear vids 074.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 074.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 37

mrbb

well its NOT that easy, or I ain't trying that any how> LOL

I use a spotting scope, and or a spotting scope and a camera
and HOPE they stay still a few seconds, as its NOT easy
but when there pretty close and a eating apples or the likes, I have been able to get a bunch of ear tag numbers over the yrs
its like piecing a puzzle together at times, as some times you get the first number or few and then next one and so on
NOT the bear on the deck with, she was very easy, she was only about 3 ft from me or less, so could rad the tag number right of her ear, left ear only, they state seemed to have covered the right one mostly with some sort of black tar like gunk?
so, that was was not visible to read, would need to pull it off and clean it? which I ain;t doing while any bear is still alive LOL
I DON"T hunt bears any more, gave that up many yrs back now
just enjoy seeing them, there pretty funny critters to watch

Attachments

• BIG V bear vids 123.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 123.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 22
  • BIG V bear vids 121.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 121.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 24
  • BIG V bear vids 127.jpg
    BIG V bear vids 127.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 18

xcr440

You seem to have a pretty good gig going for Black Bear viewing - back when I lived in Northern Sconnie, up against the Chequamegon National Forest out of Winter, I would get a lot of them wandering up to my place as well. I found a fun way to see just how big, and tall they were, was to put an 8' 4x4 in the ground, deep enough that they couldn't/wouldn't knock it over, and smear peanut butter on the top 12-18" so they would have to stand up to eat/lick the post clean. Cubs would do their best to climb it with their moms around. I'll have to see if I can dig up a few pics I got.

Just another suggestion for your viewing pleasure!

Oh, there are trees showing color already south of the Cities as well......

mrbb

You seem to have a pretty good gig going for Black Bear viewing - back when I lived in Northern Sconnie, up against the Chequamegon National Forest out of Winter, I would get a lot of them wandering up to my place as well. I found a fun way to see just how big, and tall they were, was to put an 8' 4x4 in the ground, deep enough that they couldn't/wouldn't knock it over, and smear peanut butter on the top 12-18" so they would have to stand up to eat/lick the post clean. Cubs would do their best to climb it with their moms around. I'll have to see if I can dig up a few pics I got.

Just another suggestion for your viewing pleasure!

Oh, there are trees showing color already south of the Cities as well......

I been about bears all my life, I have been part of trapping tagging, relocating them , rehab and the likes for a lot of yrs.
so, yeah I have a lot of bear experience to say the least, and living where I am, with a ton of them , its a nice way to pass time some days, and best of all, we all seem to get along pretty well, never any issue's , as they can be a handful at times , pending there ways of going about living with humans or not!

as for learning how big they are, I have several ways of getting a decent guess on them, from all the handling experience and weight of them over the yrs(worked with a taxidermist a long time too, so got to really measure a lot of them LOL)
'But I keep bird feeder at just over 8 ft off the ground, and almost every bear that comes here TRIES to reach them, MANY times, from all different angles , like one angle will get them closer, so, when there dancing under it, it gives me a Height on them

they also really seem to like to TRY and look in my one window, and its 7 ft off the ground, so when ever one is tall enough to look in, I know its no small one!
but bears are super hard to really judge, as different angle view of them can make a small one look way bigger than they are, IMO< there one of the hardest critters to be accurate on, I again am kicky, I have all the experience with em I do, and when there here I get normally a long time to look em over. over the yrs, I had many here BEFORE getting tagged and then tagged and got to guess, and learn there weights, and find out how close I am or not
most times I am with in about 50 lbs,

here is a another big one at a bird feeder and a different one at the winnow I spoke of above
when there this tall and wide, they are BIG one's

PA has some huge black bears, on average we have the heaviest black bears in the world, easy food and a long season to get fat!

Attachments

• bird feeder pic's 004.jpg
    bird feeder pic's 004.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 19
  • bird feeder pic's 005.jpg
    bird feeder pic's 005.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 23
  • bird feeder pic's 009.jpg
    bird feeder pic's 009.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 24
  • bert at the window.jpg
    bert at the window.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 22

xcr440

I'm sure I'm a rookie/novice compared to your techniques - just throwing out another idea.

For some reason the pic won't upload - I'll try later.