Legend Aluminum trailers

moose822

I am thinking of upgrading to an inline enclosed aluminum framed trailer. I have been looking at Legend trailers speficially the Thunder line in either the 19' or 23' models that are sold by Becks in michigan. Does anyone have an opinions or advice on these trailers? They seem to be the least expensive aluminum framed trailers I can find. Do they nail you with upgrades? Can 3 sleds be fit into the 19' trailer? Any input would be appreciated.

eagle1

Gonna want a 23' for 3 sleds, just makes life easier.
The thing with the Thunder series is they have spring axles, not huge deal but if you tow a lot, torsion axles ride much nicer. If it was me I would look at the Explorer series.

I bought a 21' R&R this fall and love it, so much nicer not dealing with frozen covers!!

heckler56

I had the same debate at the end of last year but figured for the couple extra dollars, I upgraded to the Legend Explorer. Longer warranty and thicker aluminum sides as I recall. The flooring in the Explorer is very impressive.

eagle1

Also look in the Wisconsin or Michigan Auto and RV free magazine for some pricing on other brands.

900RMtanK

I own a 23' Legend Trailmaster and IMO the quality and construction of it is the better than any trailer I've seen, and priced very competitive (at least when I bought mine). I used to work at a Featherlite dealer too. Oops, I didn't say that.

I have about 23,000mi on mine so far and no complaints. My dad owns a 29' Trailmaster and has around 15,000mi on it with no issues as well. They seem to be more heavy on the tongue since the axles are 14-20" further back than most brands, but they sure pull nice even at 85mph.

Bought them both from Big O' Trailers in Portage, WI.

If you compare the construction of the tongues, hoops around doors, Advantech flooring, etc., to other brands it's impressive. That and the warranty is unbeatable.

Just my .02.

salmonbum

I hear legend just got bought by forest river.

Check out the NEO trailer I just put for sale in classifieds. Better options than the thunder but not as pricey as the explorer. Besides, why would you pay top dollar for a trailer your gonna beat up driving in the worst conditions known to man and let you buddys RAM their skis info the sides when they load?

900RMtanK

I just gave him my opinion on the Legends and if my buddy's drove into my trailer like that I'd load it myself. Lol!

catalac

I was wondering why they set the axles so far back on some of those trailers. I would think that you really don't want a lot of tongue weight like that, do you?

heckler56

The position of the axles is considering front load, one sled will have it's engine weight on the tail side of the axle and a second sled's engine close to the axle (leverage/balance)

catalac

Is that the way you load the inlines? Wouldn't you drive right in to the wall that way?
I sure would be loading all sleds myself then. Buddy's would go through the other side!Ha!

heckler56

My walls all have a 18" to 24" kick plate you would hit. I am sure there is someone out there that could go through, but with most skis being plastic I think those would break first before the kick plate.

If any of your buddies typically lauch their sleds and do not have the cordination to turn the skis once in, yep, load them yourself.

With many sleds having reverse, you can always load backing in.

Having had many different trailers for toys over the years, I prefer the inlines for towing; better visabilty, a more stabile pull, tires & axles easy to get to when problems happen in the worst conditions, and, generally tire sizes matching tow vehicle so backing is more fluid.

trailerman

Legend trailer

I just purchased a 29' "LEGEND" "TRAILMASTER" trailer (in November) and after owning steel and aluminum trailers of all sorts of different brands for over the last twenty years (buy new every few years, steel likes to rust and electrolize) and just have not found an aluminum model that was to my liking (deckover models) with the way they pull. After doing much research i found that on average the legend trailers put their axle back 12-18" further back. I called the owner of legend and asked him why they do that and he told me because they can, because of their much stronger main frame ( i didn't believe how much better their frame was until i went to several dealerships and crawled under the trailer and saw it for myself). Yes they will have more tongue weight than other brands, but the thing i can tell you is you will not find a better pulling trailer than the legend. Their warranty is hard to beat also. I also just called the owner of legend and asked about the forest river thing mentioned above and he said that is a rumor started in the elkhart area.

jonnytalks

the truth about legend trailers

First, I am a brand new member so I want to tread lightly here and not sound too opinionated. I have snowmobiled since 1978 and owned about every trailer brand made. From 33 years experience, Legend trailers Rock! They're not the cheapest, but what is cheap? Cheap is cheap. If you want an inexpensive quality trailer, get a Thunder. It's made by legend, ALL aluminum and it's about what most places charge for a rusty, heavy steel trailer (try pullling a steel trailer). If you want to make a statement, get a trailmaster like we have. I know they have other models but I'm not an expert on the trailers, just a well informed consumer who has owned the rest and will tell you... if you want the best value period, get a legend and you'll be happy for years to come. Also, the resale is 2x better than anything on the market for legend trailers. Plus nothing looks or is built like a legend... A++! I'm trying to find polaris road legal atv information on here, do you know where I could look?

jonnytalks

legend all aluminum trailer buyout

just to help out, warren buffet bought out forest river. I doubt forest river is in the position to buy out legend. legend is puting a big whoopin on these cheap built trailer manufacturers down in the indianna direction, that's why theyre all closing up or re naming themselves after bankruptcy. tip: buy from a company you know will be here for years to come. Does anyone out there know a dealer with a OEM IN Stock polaris road legal atv?