Leupold 3.5x10 50mm Scope Problem Need Help!

iceman_1347

Alrighty gun enthusiasts, I need some help on this one.

I recently purchased a leupold scope for my ruger m77 mark II .30-06. I also purchased leupold ruger high rings because of the 50mm size. I tried setting up my eye relief to give myself full field of view. So, I shouldered my gun to my normal comfortable position with the scope on high power. I can not get a full field of view in my normal shouldering position though. I moved the scope back in the rings as far back as I can but I have to now move my head closer to my scope to get a full field of view. I basically lose half my field of view when the scope is on high power with my gun shouldered comfortably. I have full field of view with the scope on low power and normal shouldering position though. When I do move my head closer on high power there is no danger of scope eye, which is good but I really don't want to have to move my head closer to my scope every time I put it on high power. I have no more adjustments to make to move the scope further back in the rings. I don't have a clue for what else I can do. Do I just have to live with this? Is this something anyone else has run into? Are there different rings I could use? Seems like my mounts are integral to my rifle breech so I don't think I can switch those out at all unfortunately. Any ideas out there?

maddogg

Without seeing a picture of the setup, I would try diferent rings. Or there may be an adjustment on the scope itself right in front of the "power selector" dial. Can you post a pic? Or take it to your local shop - they should have some free advice if you bought the rings, scope, gun etc.

iceman_1347

Without seeing a picture of the setup, I would try diferent rings. Or there may be an adjustment on the scope itself right in front of the "power selector" dial. Can you post a pic? Or take it to your local shop - they should have some free advice if you bought the rings, scope, gun etc.

I'm struggling getting pictures in here right now but basically the rings are not movable. It looks like my base is integral to my gun breech so the rings can only go in one spot and can't be moved forward or backwards. The only adjustment I can make is moving the scope back and forth inside the rings and right now I am as far back as I can go with the scope. Without taking my rings off again, does anyone know if the base for the model 77 mark II is removable? Or is there a retrofit rail system that can be put on there so that I could use a movable ring system that could be moved back and forth? I also thought just now, of maybe getting a different stock or cutting down the one I have now. I have not measured my throw length.

iceman_1347

I am not using factory ruger rings. I purchased Leupold High Rings which were made to fit my ruger rifle bases. I did find out that the bases for the model 77 mark II are integral to the breech so I can't take those bases off. I think that limits me to offset bases, cutting my stock or buying a new stock.

rp7x

sawzall ?

i would just get tall ruger rings , need to see pics of your mess before you cut anything

iceman_1347

I think I've come to the conclusion that I need 1 or 2 offset rings to be able to move my scope further backwards towards my eye as long as they don't interfere with my bullet extraction port at my bolt. I had an old 3x9 tasco on this gun with the same mounting system prior to purchasing and mounting this new leupold and I had no issues with eye relief on high power with that tasco. It's hard to believe that the eye relief with the leupold would be less than an old tasco.

mjkaliszak

Check for over / under rings. Call one of the manu's. like said. I have had excellent CS from Luepy. Their may be a stock pad that can be added to adjust your cheek weld also. Kind of hard for me to help since I'm not familiar with that platform & weapon.
In fact I can't remember if I adjust ER & CW when I re-focus. My Elcan flips from 1 to 4x and the glass & FOV is great but that is a different platform.

Dom36

You need either 1) offset rings to allow the current scope to be mounted further back or 2) a scope with more eye relief. Cheaper option is offset rings, though normally a better scope will get you more eye relief.