lift bridge mat

krupps_resort

Just told snowmobilers yesterday that I will check on this Mon AM and will post what I am told-quite a few have been asking. I believe the Tourism Council also follows johndee.com so they may respond themselves.

favoritos

We rode the bridge last year before the mat was down. It worked better than I would have thought.

rmkdocker24

bridge mats

talked 2 the houghton groomer guys today and the coast guard pulled there boats out of the water but shipping canal is still open to boats. Mats might be on the end of this week, start of following week. coast guard has to give ok

krupps_resort

I just spoke with Keweenaw Tourism and was advised that the Coast Guard usually gives permission for mat around the 15th. Last year it was about a week earlier because the canal had frozen. They usually don't give notice. Its whichever comes first-shipping season is closed or when waterway freezes. Keweenaw Tourism will post on johndee when they receive information from Coast Guard.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've gone across it with out the mat lots of times. As long as one uses common sense when going across, there should be no issues.

jeffkg

Mat

I understand the mat won't be down for awhile, but are the gates open? I've traveled over without the mat, with all the snow forcasted, shouldn't be a issue, as long as the gate is....

keweenaw_cvb

The protective mat on the Portage Lift Bridge between Houghton & Hancock is not down yet. It will be installed as soon as the Coast Guard gives permission, which is usually around the middle of December.