Lithium Ion or Lead Acid battery?

dognvenus

Just checking to see who has tried a lithium ion battery yet and what you experience has been with longevity and durability in a sled.
Other than a significant weight savings, does the cost outweigh traditional lead acid?
What brand is working and what hasn’t?

If lead is your choice, what brand, AGM or flooded is your preference?

Thanks in advance, Dog

uperjim

I tried a lithium motorsports battery 2 years ago that I had in one of my quads and it didn't crank well at low temps. Tried turning the lights on 1st and all the tricks but just didn't perform well cold. Once started and with a warm engine compartment it was fine. Went back to an AGM

garageguy

Had a lithium ion one in my fst. Very light wieght had to jump start 5he sled in below 0. Went back to lead acid

mjkaliszak

I have run a Ballistic 1yr & Shorai 2yrs in my 18 8hundo Gade for the last 3 seasons, still using the Shorai for this season, what I did was let the gauges cycle until the system chirped ( a BRP classic code for OK LOL ) giving the PDS a chance to send current through the lines for warm up. This worked without failure however I did notice a weaker turn over at "0" degrees - vs - my old AGM's. Things worked well for me but I struggle with seeing any superior benefit for the difference in price.

Additionally I did pull the battery to power my stand up jetski's over the summer. AND furthermore checked the voltage at the end of the sled season.... I still had 13.2 at the end of both seasons that I checked.

Not enough time to give any input on battery longevity where I was hoping the lithiums would pay off. I also have a Amazon MMP chinese branded lithium which cost $195. That is still powering my 18 POO 8hundo along with being utilized in the summer also.

For the increased money I have no solid results to report since I have had AGM's last 4-5 yrs.

2TrakR

Prefer AGM, Yuasa. Have had luck with the AGM "scorpion" and other off brands.

The Lithium ones I've tried were lighter and if temps were good, had a little more initial spin (motor would actually spin over faster) but that umph would die quickly where a traditional battery would keep cranking. So if the machine didn't start right away, usually were screwed.

euphoric1

It was always my understanding that the cold and lithium ION didn't agree especially when gets really cold, I would stick with lead acid IMO

heckler56

The issue with the Lithium is that they cannot be charged under a certain temperature. For RV batteries it is based on the specs allowed by the BMS for the battery. The lowest on those I have ever seen was 25 degrees.