Long shot

attack_06

This maybe far fetched just wondering if there's anything foreseen in the future when "the flip" may occure or is it possible we may never see that this year

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I would not be looking for a "flip" this season. At least a sustaining one. I suspect we might see a period of some decent winter weather, but probably on the order of 20-25 days.

-John

attack_06

Wow that's not good at all mite just leave the sleds and trailer in storage this year I'm sure not in a hurry to go get them maybe by mid January

mburchart

I wonder if the lack of snow will stop people from buying their trail pass this year.. I already have mine purchased and on my sled ready to go. i wonder how much money is lost to the local economies due to the lack of snow.

- John in years past with the current forecast and what we are seeing so far this year does it compare to the last big el nino of 97/98?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
- John in years past with the current forecast and what we are seeing so far this year does it compare to the last big el nino of 97/98?

I tend to shy away from using analog years too much, but there are certainly similarities to conditions that year and right now.

I also want to clear something up for everyone. I did not mean to say that we would only have 20-25 days of winter this season, but rather a period of 20-25 days where things could really rock.

-John

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tend to shy away from using analog years too much, but there are certainly similarities to conditions that year and right now.

I also want to clear something up for everyone. I did not mean to say that we would only have 20-25 days of winter this season, but rather a period of 20-25 days where things could really rock.

-John

Ok, good. I was starting to go into a deep depression!

momoney2123

I wonder if the lack of snow will stop people from buying their trail pass this year.. I already have mine purchased and on my sled ready to go. i wonder how much money is lost to the local economies due to the lack of snow.

November 97-98 was cold, this year very warm. Ensos dont match. Bulk of warm water was directly off south american coast in 97, now its way off coast in enso 3-4. Also the water in north pacific very different. Not a good comparison. If i remember that el nino peaked in mid winter, this el nino has already peaked. Let it snow!

attack_06

Where do you read this elnino has already peaked in the last couple months seems to me it's just getting started

whitedust

Pretty much everywhere you check this El Nino has been going since August should start backing off soon in 30 days or so....then hopefully on the cool down side..... it s what it is can't rush ma nature.

Bullitt69

I remember the winter of 97/98 in the U.P. very clearly. I was living in Big Bay at the time with my now wife. It started out with a bang in late October, I remember everyone getting excited and running the trails even though it was probably illegal. Then, it all melted. December the same thing. Got a good amount of snow, then a thaw. Then again, again, and so on. So, as John's forecast today promises a good amount of snow over the horizon, I will betcha there will be more often thaw periods between the times it's Rockin.
Don't be discouraged though - there will be snow!
Just my 2 cents...
Steve