Look what I have been working on!

local897

This is a gps trail map overlay on google earth. Some are from me and some are from others But I am using this from better off trail scouting. I am going to try over laying a plat book over it some day too. It is a long process getting everything to fit right enough to have good info to use. Just wanted to show everyone whats out there to help scout in your underwear!!

Attachments

• Western U.P. Trails.jpg
    Western U.P. Trails.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 405
  • Topo Map.jpg
    Topo Map.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 408

mjkaliszak

I forgot to put on my glasses ( just kidding ). Yes that is better, I like the second picture, what is your intentions with the overlay ? I kind of missed the " scout " thing ? Can you market / copy it ? so it can be added to other peoples GPS's ? I would love to have something more than I get with my Red Pine map chip. Is that what you are working on ?
I assume !

gffdc1045

The map looks great! What are you guys using for a GPS and mount? I have been looking at them and there are too many choices. I need some advice, also are the red pine maps preety good on there own they lookdecent on the web site. Thanks in advance.

local897

I am just using gps tracks from my gps and others. The only trails i ride are to the areas that i off trail. I have a Garmin Nuvi 250 with a Ram mount I have vvmapping maps. I can Mark, make new trails anything and convert them to put in any gps. I am all so making a Water fall map for the up for some summer hiking.

I added a picture of my ram mount set up on my renegade.

Attachments

• 800 HO 001.jpg
    800 HO 001.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 189

frnash

I am going to try over laying a plat book over it some day too.

Just so you know, plat book publishers are among the most ruthless on the planet in terms of protecting their copyright. (Probably 'cuz the plat books are such a unique product and the temptation to copy is so great.)

Here's just an example: Rockford Map Publishers, the leading provider of land ownership and plat data.

gffdc1045

Local897,
Thanks for the pic's and the help. I have a nuvi but don't know if I can put a power port on my cat with no battery. I am afraid the voltage won't be steady enough and burn up my gps.

local897

I don't have e start ether! I have not ran into a problem. I love mine run it in my truck on the way up take it out and on to my sled! Like the big screen see it on the fly.

frnash I dont plan on posting or selling it if i ever get to it. But thanks for the heads up bud

lofsfire

Local897,
Thanks for the pic's and the help. I have a nuvi but don't know if I can put a power port on my cat with no battery. I am afraid the voltage won't be steady enough and burn up my gps.

I don't have e start ether! I have not ran into a problem. I love mine run it in my truck on the way up take it out and on to my sled! Like the big screen see it on the fly.

frnash I dont plan on posting or selling it if i ever get to it. But thanks for the heads up bud

You will need a Rectifier You can buy(about $38) one or build (about $20) one This will keep you power steady and in DC current not AC.

dafuzz

No problems with that gps unit getting too cold and the screen lagging? And also no problems with water resistance? I've always wondered if I could just put an auto style gps to replace my Lowrance Ifinder H2O that sits on a ram mount between my gauges.

Last edited:

Cat Woman

Just so you know, plat book publishers are among the most ruthless on the planet in terms of protecting their copyright. (Probably 'cuz the plat books are such a unique product and the temptation to copy is so great.)

Here's just an example: Rockford Map Publishers, the leading provider of land ownership and plat data.

Ironic you posted that Nash, their office is about 1.5 miles down the road from me here @ work.