Looking At A 2004 Polaris 800 Classic Whats A Fair Price

duluthrider

I think it's too high as well.

The one thing for sure is the crank WILL break, I have had 3 800's they are fun, but 5000, 7000 and 3900 miles was when the cranks broke on them. if you dont mind rebuilding every 2-3 years then 3000 is a fair price.

I bought a IQ CFI 600 and don't miss the 800's a bit and they seem to be very reliable.

Last edited:
G

G

I am in agreement with the previous 2 posts. Time is on your side. Also to consider - a friend of mine has an '05 800 XC. Our local dealer told him there are no OEM cranks to be had should he have need of one. Some 800s liked to break off the PTO side of the crank. This is a well documented issue. There are actually beef-up kits available to help prevent this problem. I guess what I am saying is to shoot for a 7 or 6. The 7s were just about bulletproof and just about as fast as an 800. If you are talking about a model with an M10 ACE you are not looking for all out top speed. M10s are famous for scrubbing off 5 -10 mph.

duluthrider

The cranks can be rebuilt for about $500, PTO ends are available.

But ya, 600 or 700 is my 2 cents

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

superski,

No, I'm talking about Four Star Sports in Webb Lake. I'm going up there tomorrow to get a new air filter for my FST and I hope to ride it then. I will report back if I do.

mikeh906

04 xc800

I had 2 2002 xc sp 800's with the m-10. 14000 miles on on one, then the main bearing failed on the crankshaft. The other went thru a couple pistons from pre detonation, not sure why. The high miler was by far the best sled I have ever owned, lots of parts replaced due to normal wear and tear. The m-10 did not hold up well with severe abuse, but was so smooth and comfotable I did not care. Bottom line is the 04 is still 2001 tech, old, out dated has been chassis. It makes no sense to spend anything over 3000 for older tech. Sleds have come so far since 04 [01]. M-10 has evolved so much it makes the old ones look like bogie wheel suspensions. Look up them on the web sight, new cool tech. So why spend that kind of money on old outdated sleds. 2011 sleds are coming out. That makes the edge 10 years old, thats old. Save your money, upgrade to a newer higher tech sled. As far as ves, keep them clean and update to new factory specs, warm up is important to make the crank last longer. JMHO

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

RUSH test ride

I went to my Polaris dealer today to pick up an air filter for my FST and as rp7x told me, they had a RUSH demo sled available to ride and it only had 80 miles on it. I have seen the RUSH before and I really think the fit and finish is the best I have ever seen from Polaris. No one had ridden the sled yet today, so I let it warm up good and took off down the trail. The first thing I noticed was the excellent riding position, but like all of the rider forward positions for me, it will take a little getting used to. I'm used to cruiser classics.

What amazed me the most was how that sled could steer! If you moved the handlebars at all, the sled responded and I really liked that. It held the trail like it was on rails. The trails were in pretty good shape, but once in a while there would be a good mogul to hit (as ATV's use some of these trails in the summer I believe) and I made sure to hit them at good speed and the rear suspension seemed to have no bottom to it. I'm only 170 lbs, but the rear suspension hardly seemed to notice the big bumps. It's not like they completely disappeared, but I really like the rear suspension. The brake was very good too and the power from the 600 engine was excellent, even though the sled only had 80 miles on it. Polaris may have a few issues with their 800 right now, but that 600 is very good!

I tried to find some negatives too, and what I came up with is that the sled seems like it could be cold to ride. It wasn't that cold today, but I only had sweat pants on and you can feel the rush of air on your legs. I've read where others had made the same comment, and I tend to agree. I only rode the sled for about 10 miles, but I really liked the experience and it left me wanting more.

nic

I sold my 2004 800 XCSP last year (March, end of season) for 3K. BUT- it was to a friend, I wanted it gone, and it had about 5K miles on it. So I don't think 4K is that out of range for the classic (which has more stuff like the estart and M-10) with those miles. Of course there are those that think you shouldn't pay over 3K, and those that want top dollar for their stuff. My opinion, it's not that out of line. BUT- I would definitely make an offer in the 3400 range or so. I did hear about crank issues w/ that sled, but like I said, mine had around 5K and absolutely no issues. I was actually sad to see it go- as it was fast as ****, and not one issue. I changed the plugs once since I bought it new. And I blew a belt on yr 3. Other than that, great machine. My previous sled was a 2001 600 Classic w/ the M10- so I hear ya on the raves w/ that suspension as well. I think what matters is if you think you got a deal or not. If you really like it, and you'd be upset to see it sold to someone else, then give the guy an offer. Someone waving cash at you is always tempting. Good luck!

superski

Hearing about all the crank issues with the 800 motor has me thinking that the 800 size is probably not for me. I presently have (2) 2002 Polaris 600 Edge X's - 1 for me and the other for my wife. They both have the Edge suspension, reverse, 1 1/4" tracks, clicker shocks, and mirrors. The wife's has E-start. I added the reverse to mine because I really liked it on the one I got for the wife. The 600 has plenty of power for me and I was really looking for the 600 Classic, but was only able to find the 800. Like I said before, my sleds are in great condition with about 3000 miles on them and the reason I'd change is to get a better ride with the M-10. My wife is also my riding partner (no jokes here guys) and she has some back issues so I'll really be looking for (2) M-10 sleds -she'd never let me have one better than hers. After thinking about it I'll probably wait until I find the right deal on some 600's.I ran the whole idea past the wife and she thinks we should go ride a RUSH and maybe buy a couple new ones next year (after they sort out the first year stuff) if we like them. I'm normally too cheap to buy new, but she says they'll probably be the last sleds we buy and ya can't take it with ya. Now I hate to admit it, but she"s probably right cause we have had these for 7 years, so unless we are gonna be riding after 70 they will be our last sleds cause I turn 61 next month.

superski

Geez, after I posted that she also reminded me we should enjoy life - I had cancer a couple years ago and am in remission. We'll be test riding the RUSH soon.

mride460

Thinking about buying a 2004 Polaris 800 Classic with about 2800 miles on it. Anybody got an idea of what it's worth ? The guy is asking $4000 or offer and it is pretty clean. I assume the 800 has the same VES and crank issues as the XC's and I was really looking for a 600 or 700 Classic but this came along and I'm wondering if it is a fair deal or not

The price is a bit high.. If your still looking? My friend has a 2006 IQ700 Classic for sale here in Northeast Michigan. He is asking $4500. or best offer. Yes he is looking to move it soon so all offers will be looked at. It has around 4000 miles on it. It is studded with the bigger backers and tall nuts, being a taller lug track. I think its a 128" track? Its blue with all the bells on it. Mirrors, nice gage package, compass... etc... He has his new machine so this one needs to go!!!

Heres a couple of pictures from a ride last season. Their not very good. Itry to get some better ones later today.

15x0dt.jpg

29eiyz5.jpg

Last edited:

mride460

More pictures if your interested.

The machine does have electric start and reverse also..

wmj85h.jpg

21mhirt.jpg

2zqfw9s.jpg

8y80vp.jpg

2itlf6v.jpg

256sfa9.jpg

mcfz4j.jpg

30kf4pc.jpg

2vazgvk.jpg

Last edited: