looking at ski doos, need advise

Hoosier

I'm getting one of those doo 900's thingies from a relative, mainly for the kids, but I can see myself taking it on Ontario trips too. I've ridden around with it with my kids on it quite a bit when they were smaller but I don't know much about it. Has some miles on it but I'm worried about the engine. Will be mine for next season. Never owned a doo but at least it's not yellow...

old abe

I'm getting one of those doo 900's thingies from a relative, mainly for the kids, but I can see myself taking it on Ontario trips too. I've ridden around with it with my kids on it quite a bit when they were smaller but I don't know much about it. Has some miles on it but I'm worried about the engine. Will be mine for next season. Never owned a doo but at least it's not yellow...
Relax Hoosier, you should have absolutely no engine issues whatsoever. I've seen many 900's in Canada with 18, 20 plus K miles. My ace 900 Renegade is my choice of ride for our big, long mile Canadian trips. After taking the 900 to Canada for the first time, it was a no-brainer! Any of the ace 900's for that matter would be as they all get outstanding mpg's. That is really nice north of the border! Both of our Canadian trip sleds can run at least 220 miles on fuel. We bought the sled for my wife, and I was seriously questioning the purchase. :unsure: However once I got to ride it, I fell in love with the all but nonexistent, very low noise level. Makes for a very peaceful, and enjoyable ride, no matter how you're riding, hard, or fast cruising, or whatever. I did some clutch work with Goodwin, Dalton. and CVTech. Replaced the primary with a PB-80, and brought the RPM"s up to 78, 7900. I haven't been able to ride now for several years due to health issues, and I can't wait to get back to riding. I never get tired riding that 4-stroke ace 900! It's by far not the fastest, or a lake rocket. However it's very, very quick out of gate, and super in the tight twisties.

Last edited:

hermie

Haven’t had to experience this yet but I’m waiting! Ditched the 14 gsx at around 3000 miles, just rolled over 3k on the 19 tnt, and my 23 renny still has under 2k miles.
Indy order the tool that you can screw on to your QRS shaft that allows not to touch the chain case and it's a pretty simple job. I can have the whole shaft out in 5 minutes.The tool is also handy just to get the shaft out the way to do other work.

Hoosier

Relax Hoosier, you should have absolutely no engine issues whatsoever. I've seen many 900's in Canada with 18, 20 plus K miles. My ace 900 Renegade is my choice of ride for our big, long mile Canadian trips. After taking the 900 to Canada for the first time, it was a no-brainer! Any of the ace 900's for that matter would be as they all get outstanding mpg's. That is really nice north of the border! Both of our Canadian trip sleds can run at least 220 miles on fuel. We bought the sled for my wife, and I was seriously questioning the purchase. :unsure: However once I got to ride it, I fell in love with the all but nonexistent, very low noise level. Makes for a very peaceful, and enjoyable ride, no matter how you're riding, hard, or fast cruising, or whatever. I did some clutch work with Goodwin, Dalton. and CVTech. Replaced the primary with a PB-80, and brought the RPM"s up to 78, 7900. I haven't been able to ride now for several years due to health issues, and I can't wait to get back to riding. I never get tired riding that 4-stroke ace 900! It's by far not the fastest, or a lake rocket. However it's very, very quick out of gate, and super in the tight twisties.
Meant to say I'm NOT worried about the engine. So pretty much the exact opposite of what I meant to say :)

I'm buying mostly for the kids but I think I'll look into clutching, etc. to wake it up a bit.

My twins are 12 now but around when they were 7 or 8, I loved riding around with them on this sled, since it was so quiet we could talk while riding.

I don't think I've ever ridden it solo but I was impressed it didn't feel heavy like other 4 strokes I've ridden.

Not sure what you're dealing with but hope your health improves so you can get back out there!

old abe

Meant to say I'm NOT worried about the engine. So pretty much the exact opposite of what I meant to say :)

I'm buying mostly for the kids but I think I'll look into clutching, etc. to wake it up a bit.

My twins are 12 now but around when they were 7 or 8, I loved riding around with them on this sled, since it was so quiet we could talk while riding.

I don't think I've ever ridden it solo but I was impressed it didn't feel heavy like other 4 strokes I've ridden.

Not sure what you're dealing with but hope your health improves so you can get back out there!
I can give you a few tips on the clutching from my own experiences if you like. It will never be a lake, or grade racer. However it can be made to be extremely quick. , and balls of fun to ride, not getting tired, and peaceful due to the very low noise level. As for my health, we're just working thru the recovery stages. I had to wear a heart monitor for a full 32 days do to my heart being in A-fib, or flutter. My cardio doctor analyzed the results, and shocked my heart back into sinus rhythm, and now all seems good. :) Hopefully it will stay this way! I'm finally back up to my normal weight, and released to give riding a try. I'm in hopes my shoulder will put up with it. :unsure: :unsure:

Hoosier

I can give you a few tips on the clutching from my own experiences if you like. It will never be a lake, or grade racer. However it can be made to be extremely quick. , and balls of fun to ride, not getting tired, and peaceful due to the very low noise level. As for my health, we're just working thru the recovery stages. I had to wear a heart monitor for a full 32 days do to my heart being in A-fib, or flutter. My cardio doctor analyzed the results, and shocked my heart back into sinus rhythm, and now all seems good. :) Hopefully it will stay this way! I'm finally back up to my normal weight, and released to give riding a try. I'm in hopes my shoulder will put up with it. :unsure: :unsure:
Good to hear you're on the mend.