Looking for some info on Handle bar muffs

pclark

I have a Ski-doo but if there are other brands or aftermarket that anyone can recommend would be appreciated. Thanks!

hermie

Seems like a lot of people like the Klim ones but to me they look just like the Ski doo ones. My wife uses the ski doo ones with the the windows to see the controls. She never complains about cold hands so they seem to work good.

pclark

Seems like a lot of people like the Klim ones but to me they look just like the Ski doo ones. My wife uses the ski doo ones with the the windows to see the controls. She never complains about cold hands so they seem to work good.
Thanks Hermie!

garageguy

Take yer old favorite winter coat, that doesn't fit anymore. Cut the sleeves off and have yer wife fab you up some homade ones.

whitedust

Took off my skinz on my enduro 900t went with ultra high adjustable windshield enough wind blockage to keep hands warm.

lofsfire

A lot of personal preferences regarding this question...

I thought The Ski-Doo's were the most liked due to the windows... With that said, I booked marked these from a while back. Not sure if it was someone on this site or somewhere else. But many seemed to really like these. https://coldguards.com/index.html

Personally, I have ridden with some cheap ones and they did the job... but I really don't like my arm sleeve getting caught on the edge of some of the designs. The Cold Guards Look like that would hold their shape very well. Before finding the Cold Guards I had already set my sled up with PowerMadd 34500 Handguards. You can see I have them on all three of my sleds.
ADCreHcht_XxtqgmprTn8ftKmGyFmFDB7mip2d9oQ026y-nU3QY8lOmo1qMacrB9xCugP6vv7YYr6_IK5mabWoqbawt3YbPwbDCvCQPBGuFidHzD2kMJ0gju1PUnXgtf3-uO2eQ11xk_mFcpGjULVaGX8L9w4w=w2579-h1934-s-no-gm

Here is the view from the seated position:
ADCreHezxbVY0szfi5Cxg8bgZTRpY3R7N1MxabvDLnMVTyRRLEN8vong6Q7nBKAqe0ncDgcmCKCEKihoYSUHLxLqEOXVZXMOXQwMo5GTH9WSURUniIywscGvqPtTJ81DqHphF6o3AzmMTzHCQ9hvql0k5z8XRA=w2579-h1934-s-no-gm

The kids and I all use FRX Fuel Gloves. I do have a pair of FRX Recon Heated gloves. I only get those out and night and when it gets really cold. I'd say on a 1-10 scale my setup is about a 6 for warmth... But it works for my comfort level... To be honest it's probably blocking too much cold air at times because the reason I will use the heated gloves at night is mine are getting sweet-soaked. Once that happens you just need dry gloves more than anything.

When my youngest was riding 2-up on my sled I bought the GEARS Heated Glove Liners Gen-X4. He had to turn them down most of the time. but the downside is the wires... The cord runs up your arms and out your jacket at the waist. They have a Y-shaped cord that is even long for me at 6'4". But they work.

pclark

Thanks Lofsfire, these look like they will fit the bill fr what I am looking for. I decided to get handlebar muffs after a week last February where the weather was quite cold when we left in the mornings, -18 but we like to get an early start and put some miles on. Anyway, it resulted in my first bout with frostbite on a couple of my fingers. They blistered and peeled but I ad no permanent damage so will need something if that kind of weather visits again.

euphoric1

pclark, on the wifes sled I installed "powermadd hand guard gauntlet 34258, similar to what lotsfire has but more closer and encapsulates the controls yet leaving them able to see and provide more than adequate protection from the cold, You have to use the powermadd 34210 star hand guards in conjunction with them. Have never had a complaint of cold hands with these and way less bulky and restrictive than traditional gauntlets, and safer. We went to these due to an incident we had with the gauntlets. If you would like I can take pictures of them on sled so you can see them and text them to you.

Walle31

I've been using the Ski Doo muff's for years. Thin pair of gloves and my hands are always warm. Not in the way. Look fine if you ask me. Had Skin's similar to the coldguards. Hand would get cold on the bitter cold days. Never had a problem with the Ski Doo muffs.

SledTL

pclark, on the wifes sled I installed "powermadd hand guard gauntlet 34258, similar to what lotsfire has but more closer and encapsulates the controls yet leaving them able to see and provide more than adequate protection from the cold, You have to use the powermadd 34210 star hand guards in conjunction with them. Have never had a complaint of cold hands with these and way less bulky and restrictive than traditional gauntlets, and safer. We went to these due to an incident we had with the gauntlets. If you would like I can take pictures of them on sled so you can see them and text them to you.
I added powermadd sentinel handguards to my sled and use the powermadd gauntlets on them as well. They are decently easy to take on and off with 3 straps, and do not interfere at all with controls or riding. Previous gauntlets I tried didnt stay open and were borderline dangerous with the throttle and brake reach. I am not sure if you could add them to other handguard styles, but they are 100% worth it in my opinion. You kinda look like dodge owners with their tow mirrors out but who cares my hands stay warm!
34458_snow_top_web.jpg

pclark

Brian, yes, please text me some pics, a lot more decisions now after all this info. Thanks!

whitedust

Thanks Lofsfire, these look like they will fit the bill fr what I am looking for. I decided to get handlebar muffs after a week last February where the weather was quite cold when we left in the mornings, -18 but we like to get an early start and put some miles on. Anyway, it resulted in my first bout with frostbite on a couple of my fingers. They blistered and peeled but I ad no permanent damage so will need something if that kind of weather visits again.
Welcome to the Northwoods. Venturenorth
and I went sledding in -30 my battery was dead on my Yamaha and I messed around outside with charger and jumpers until I got her going. Then jumped on the sled to go meet Ken at Gateway. Long and short of that one is missed my connection with Venturenorth Uturned back home might have been -25 better than -30 then got home to clean up extension cords , Chargers and jumpers. My hands were frozen red worst of it was my right thumb had a blood blister like I smashed it with a 5lb hammer. I’ve been frostbiten many times cheeks turned black in my doo mod helmet countless times. Now I have a heated helmet , new FXR jacket and heated seat which I never even dreamed about 15 years ago. What’s next? Idk I think I’m good with all this hi tech stuff plus now I always carry handwarmer paks for things you have to do with bare hands in the cold.

600_RMK_144

Took off my skinz on my enduro 900t went with ultra high adjustable windshield enough wind blockage to keep hands warm.
wind deflection is underrated. We have both the low pro & taller windshields in the trailer. Swap them out if it's going to be cold. Makes a huge difference!

harvest1121

I have both the Klim and Skidoo. Buy what's cheaper they both work well. I use the Klim more now that I don't have a Skidoo anymore.

dfattack

My son carried the muffs last year but never used them. He tried them once but didn't like how restricted he felt. Personal choice I get it. I for one lean toward what others said. Taller windshield for more protection. I have the adjustable. I use O2 helmet and can get warm on warmer days so I lower windshield to help cool things off. On colder days up it goes. I don't care what it looks like. I have tried numerous gloves over the years and the ONLY gloves I like are the full leather gloves. They seem to transfer the heat to the hands much better. So in my experience a combination of proper wind protection along with good gloves you should be OK even when it's cold out. I was out with Whitedust once the first year he bought his enduro and we split at the end of the day. It was extremely cold. My hands were colder that day when taking a break than at any other time. Once I started riding home gloves heated up again. Muffs may have helped but it was only for the first 15 -20 mins or so then hands were fine. Not a bad idea to have them along just in case. Not sure but once you have frost bite I think you will be more sensitive to getting it again. Could be wrong.