Loops out of Phelps

mjw66

We have a place on North Twin Lake and recently bought two snowmobiles.

What are some good loops out of Phelps or Conover for the family? Also good stops for a bite to eat and warm-up? Thanks.

gkolar

Sky is the limit for you, you are centrally located to tons of trails and stops. Really depends how far you are wanting to ride. Grab a trail map and start exploring! I would head W and would not go S towards Eagle River unless the trails are in top condition. You have stops all along the way as you go thru Conover towards Boulder Junction (Club 45, Bauers Dam, Burnt Bridge, Stillwaters, Sayner Pub and mroe). Just riding into Lando and back from Phelps along Lac Vieux Desert (6/6A I believe) is a nice starting ride if you're not sure how far you can go. Have fun.

MKW

South east towards Alvin/Nema area is a good ride...Brule River Tap is a decent stop..then take trail 10 west back to Eagle River. Nice loop. Little less traffic out that way as not as many stops as heading west

mnystrom

Congrats on sled purchase ! Depending on conditions or the amount of time you want to spend this loop can be shortened at several locations!
Head west thru Land O and head west towards Boulder Junction, 1st stop Boulder Beer Bar great food. Chile ,soups, pizza, burgers! You can continue south from there into Minocqua. Pit Stop at the Thirsty Whale! East back thru St Germain towards Sugar Camp .Bonnies great pitstop in 3 lakes! Continue east to Three Lakes then run the lakes back north to Phelps. This will keep you out of Eagle River! Several food/fuel stop all the way! All trails are marked and every pit stop is very happy you pulled in!

Last edited:

rickwalley

Another thing to do is join the Phelps Snomo Club....I think the yearly membership is $35
You'll learn a lot from the other people, including going out on rides with them . The club also schedules well planned rides for the group throughout the winter you could tag along on and let them help you learn what's around.

whitedust

Plenty of loops in any direction. I prefer east since a lot less traffic. As said get a map head out all trails well marked easy peasy to find you way. Lots of good lake riding and unplowed FRs to explore if that’s your cup of tea. Once you get to Alvin / Nelma you should probably ride back the way you came no convenient loops unless you know roads from Rt70 to trail 17. Otherwise you have to go thru 3 lakes or Eagle River and I avoid ER always. You are in a good place to enjoy both WI and MI trails without going thru Lando but you need to know the way so don’t be afraid to explore with a map.

mjw66

Thanks all for the quick responses. We did join the club and Phelps and looked over the map. Lots of interesting potentials, just wanted to find out favorites.

goofy600

Amen on Burnt Bridge,,,,, first started going there with the folks in the mid/late 70's.
Was there today for a quick little warm up, something cool they made a small outdoor bar which is kinda neat but not today it was a chilly one.

sshooterz

Download the Polaris Ride Command ap. You can chart trips and it’s got a pretty decent map too with restaurants and gas marked.

blkhwkbob

Amen on Burnt Bridge,,,,, first started going there with the folks in the mid/late 70's.
Are they actually more welcoming to snowmobilers than they used to be? Got tired of the old lady yelling at sledders for putting their gear on unapproved surfaces. I understand but there are nicer ways to handle it.

goofy600

Are they actually more welcoming to snowmobilers than they used to be? Got tired of the old lady yelling at sledders for putting their gear on unapproved surfaces. I understand but there are nicer ways to handle it.
Was just in there yesterday and very nice!

goofy600

Now that you can get the 4 wheeler there it is fun to get there in summer also, especially with the new little outdoor bar.