Low Coolant Level

Two seasons ago the temperature light turned on while riding my 05 Renegade. I headed home and added coolant to the top line. Last season I noticed the level was low again and refilled it. After riding, it was at the bottom line again where it still is. Do I need to refill this again or is it normal to be on the lower line when the engine is cold? I beleive the top line reads cold level. The temperature light hasn't come on since that one time. I haven't noticed a leak so does anyone know why this is happening?

mezz

The full hot line should be at the top. No leaks? Water pump gasket drip? Sometimes not detectable. Just my .02-Mezz

mikedrh

Could be not enough snow hitting the coolers. Crusted over trails will turn the temp light on no matter what the outside temp is on some sleds.

racerx

This is true and I learned the hard way on my 09 Rene as I topped it off after checking it due to a temp light and when it puked out there was a bunch on the garage floor. At first I thought it was a leak but after that not a drop.

G

G

If there are two lines on your bottle the lower one should be the cold level. When you run it the coolant warms up and it expands to the high level. A lot of sleds will kind of seek their own level and blow out what they don't need. As long as you don't have a noticable leak you should be fine. It probably wouldn't hurt to just check all your hose clamps to make sure they are all tight.

whitedust

If there are two lines on your bottle the lower one should be the cold level. When you run it the coolant warms up and it expands to the high level. A lot of sleds will kind of seek their own level and blow out what they don't need. As long as you don't have a noticable leak you should be fine. It probably wouldn't hurt to just check all your hose clamps to make sure they are all tight.

Agree but don't go below lower line,could be a leaking hose clamp ,could be pin hole in coolers. If was getting into engine you would know by now....prolly not serious just keep an eye on it.

euphoric1

Had a Polaris 600 touring once that I was constantly adding alittle antifreeze to and could not for the life of me find where it was going until the cause got bad enough it was apparent where it was coming from, the fitting where hose went on to thermostat housing had started to build that white corrosion between fitting and hose and was vaporing out between that and the hose even with clamp on it, just a little tidbit as whitedust said leaking hose clamp in previous post. Drove me nuts until I actually saw it vaporing out and obviously wouldn't leak when sitting so no drips to be seen either