low cost lodging, in or near Mercer?

rozzy43

anyone know of any low cost lodging in or around Mercer,WI to base a 2-3 day backpack trip out of? normally would stay at Great Northern, but we didn't feel like paying the cost there to be gone for so long. I am checking on VRBO, but others may have better options.

we are also maybe looking on the Westside (shell lake?) to base out of and hit up Minnie if conditions hold in FEB.

Thanks.

blkhwkbob

Isn't there a Loon Motel or some little motel right in downtown Mercer? VRBO would be the last place I checked.

snobuilder

Isn't there a Loon Motel or some little motel right in downtown Mercer? VRBO would be the last place I checked.

Not sure your gripe with VRBO....I rented my lake home for 5 years through them with great results. They were simply the website that I rented through. The rest was up to me the property owner.
I was a very early customer. Not sure if their operation has changed recently.
It was like $400.00 a year.

blkhwkbob

Not sure your gripe with VRBO....I rented my lake home for 5 years through them with great results. They were simply the website that I rented through. The rest was up to me the property owner.
I was a very early customer. Not sure if their operation has changed recently.
It was like $400.00 a year.
In this case, he's only looking for a cheap place to base a backpack trip out of. Not really what VRBO is geared towards. I'm actually leaving Wednesday for a VRBO booking near Curtis, Mi.

snobuilder

In this case, he's only looking for a cheap place to base a backpack trip out of. Not really what VRBO is geared towards. I'm actually leaving Wednesday for a VRBO booking near Curtis, Mi.

OK, gotcha.....but ya never know til you look....could be a low budget shack on there...lol....what's nice is ,you can pin point your destination and start from there.

heitz66

Northern Exposure across the street from Great Northern. Very clean and cheap rooms with the most comfortable beds. Owners are great people also

1fujifilm

anyone know of any low cost lodging in or around Mercer,WI to base a 2-3 day backpack trip out of? normally would stay at Great Northern, but we didn't feel like paying the cost there to be gone for so long. I am checking on VRBO, but others may have better options.

we are also maybe looking on the Westside (shell lake?) to base out of and hit up Minnie if conditions hold in FEB.

Thanks.

20 miles up the road is what was called the Silver Street motel in Hurley back in the day..is it still open?
Best thing about it was front row parking to the entertainment district and no need to drive while enjoying..buyer beware.

Bear

old abe

20 miles up the road is what was called the Silver Street motel in Hurley back in the day..is it still open?
Best thing about it was front row parking to the entertainment district and no need to drive while enjoying..buyer beware.

Bear

Sounds like your own experience, eh?