LP

snowfan470

Hey John, just wondering on this one, has there ever been a time during the winter where a cut off low set up just to the south of the region in Missouri or Kansas and produced continuous snows for the Midwest with some pretty big amounts?

john

SnowFan470-

That is a good and interesting question.

When it comes to the atmosphere I like to say: "Nothing is Impossible". With that said there are things that are more probable than others.

I have never seen a cut off low become nearly stationary and just dump snow on the Midwest for an extended period of time. The main problem is that once a low becomes cut off, it is not just cut off from the main flow, but typically also cut off from the source of air cold enough to make snow. I have seen plenty of cut off lows occur over the Midwest, but they all produced rain and not snow.

Also once a low becomes cut off, it can wrap warm air all the way around it and shut down any wintry precip production that might be going on with it.

It would be a neat thing to be able to have happen, but I just have not seen it and the probability is pretty low.

As a side note, I did see a cut off low produce heavy snow in far SW TX many years ago. El Paso TX received something like 24 inches from the storm. I think their annual average is less than 2".

-John