Lumber Mill Fire in TwinLakes -- Total Loss

slimcake

Thats the mill right along the highway/trail leaving twin lakes eh? Glad no one was hurt. As a volunteer FF what a terrible night to fight a big bastard like that.... Lost a outfitters business years ago on a -10 degree night. Nothing works in your favor in weather like that...

snocrazy

Thats the mill right along the highway/trail leaving twin lakes eh? Glad no one was hurt. As a volunteer FF what a terrible night to fight a big bastard like that.... Lost a outfitters business years ago on a -10 degree night. Nothing works in your favor in weather like that...

Same thoughts. I also did not like how close to the structure the FF on the left side was. No one with him! What if that wall falls to the outside? No more roof etc holding her together. So dangerous. Its a total loss. Just stand back and make sure it does not spread.

Tim in Indiana

Just rode by there last night around 5:30. Isn't the volunteer fire department right across the road? Not that anyone could have stopped it once all the lumber was started.

As a full time firefighter I have fought many fires in those temps as I’m sure most others in this part of the country have. It is an uphill battle for sure and unless they have their own water source at the mill they would have to use water Tenders and drop tanks which makes things even more difficult. I feel for everyone involved, I hope no workers or firefighters were injured. I would imagine the saw mill employed a decent amount of people also, loss of jobs and a hit to the area economy until its up and running again, if they rebuild.

snowdance

I guess it's not your lumber or your job snowdance so ya pretty funny-got meds?

Really? I'm the original poster. The funny face was in response to frnash's Kramer GIF. It's absolutely devastating to the Twin Lakes area. The jobs lost and economic impact will be terrible.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tenders were used. Yes, the fire department is across the street, but the volunteers are scattered through out the township. 27 jobs lost, sucks big time.

old abe

May God Bless all the firefighters, and families whose lives depended on the mill, and the jobs it offered. May the New Year be good for them all. Hopefully they will rebuild, and continue the business. Just bad luck!!! Thankful that no lives were lost!!!

garageguy

Think thats the second time it burnt down. I drove past on my sled in the mid 80's and it had burnt down and was still smoldering.

Sledhead!

Drove by to a sitting mill on the 28th on way up to Copper, came back to no mill on the 29th on the way back, bad news. Tough go all around, feel really bad for the 27 people who are now out of work, hats off to the Firefighters, that must have been a very difficult blaze to battle.