Mackinac ice bridge opens.

polarisrider1

MSA announced the ice bridge between St. Ignace and the Mackinaw Island just opened.

I highly recommend you guys do this. Great Bucket list item. As you cross the bridge go down to the parking lot at the docks. Unload there. Spend a half day of your UP trip doing this. It's way cool to ride the island.

chords

A Great Lakes air pilot reported still open water in the distance on either side of the tree trail as well as open water on the North and East side of the island. As much as I feel safe on ice, Ive seen some video from past years and some pressure cracks they had to cross on a sheet of plywood and that could be scary. Would be fun to do sometime and def not veer off the tree trail. I heard their writing tickets for speeding over the 20 mph limit on the island itself.

russholio

I would love to ride the Island......but crossing the big lake to get there? Not so much. I'm a sissy even on inland lakes.

polarisrider1

I would love to ride the Island......but crossing the big lake to get there? Not so much. I'm a sissy even on inland lakes.

Yea. That's part of the fun! I am surprises it is open myself.
I have rode off the north side of Drummond island to Canada with a foot plus of ice and the South side of the island with wide open waters.

polarisrider1

I suppose so.....me, I prefer to do my swimming in the summer. :)

It's amazing what you see on the tree bridge. I have seen people walking, wind surfer, sleds pulling sacks of concrete, kegs of beer, building materials stacked high. Even an old man on a bike in a 3 pc. dress suit. Heck I run wide open with scratchers down banking I don't need the paddle part of my track.
In reality the tree bridge is heavily inspected For safety.
The strangest thing I ever saw was a tiki bar with a summer theme set up about 2/3rd of the way across.

sweeperguy

I was in the Eastern UP this last week, The snow cover conditions south and east of Pickford were bad. I would not suggest making plans to ride the island until more snow is fallen. Cedarville and Detour trails are Poor at best. It is great riding when the snowcover is there but at this point "IT IS NOT".
However the conditions west of I-75 and north of US 2 were very good to Great. We did lots of miles on great trails and no traffic issues until late Saturday, and Sunday after the race. But I know that the clubs have it all back to great conditions by now. Some new snow to help.

polaris4me

I been in St.Iggy all week and trail conditions are great. Renting a house near the trail in town, lots of sleds coming and going. Not sure how many are taking the ice bridge to Mac. Island today. It's 2d and very windy today.