Make a wish sled 2013.......

snoluver1

My buddy just sent me this screen shot from Facebook. I'm not a member and don't care to be. I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed this wasn't offered to a JD member first????
Sign of the times I guess, everything is on facebook now......
IMG_20141.jpg

mezz

That is sad to say the least, considering its roots, but, what can you say, it is the sellers right, be it poor taste or not, of which IMO, is in poor taste, it is their right.-Mezz

snoluver1

That is sad to say the least, considering its roots, but, what can you say, it is the sellers right, be it poor taste or not, of which IMO, is in poor taste, it is their right.-Mezz

I agree, it is 100% their right to do what they wish with it, just a little hard to swallow is all.

slimcake

So was D's base camp the owner and the seller or what? I can't believe they would have done something like that. Ya I dont do book of faces either. You would have thought it would have been offered here....

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
A JD'er did buy it. I dont think its in poor taste. Its their's, they can sell it when or how they want. Just my opinion. :)

mezz

The poor taste I was referring to was the fact it wasn't put on here first & foremost, after all, as stated in my previous post, it is their right to do with it what they want, it is theirs, just considering the purpose of this build & where it originated, imo, was done in poor taste, not a slam to the owner in any way shape or form, just considering where this all started, imo again, it could have begun at it's birthplace. It's all good, it's theirs to do with what they wish. Just my opinion. No harm, no foul. My apologies if my opinion offended anybody. :smile:-Mezz

Last edited:

snoluver1

Once again I agree with Mezz. My intent of posting this was not to slam the owners. I was very happy for them when they won it, and again it is their right to do what they want with it. It just stings a little it wasn't advertised here first, instead of that dang book of faces.

old abe

Once again I agree with Mezz. My intent of posting this was not to slam the owners. I was very happy for them when they won it, and again it is their right to do what they want with it. It just stings a little it wasn't advertised here first, instead of that dang book of faces.

X2

skiroule

Snoluver1 knows me well enough to know that I’m the kind of guy that’s always thinking there’s a pony somewhere in the poop pile so he’s probably not surprised that I see a couple of positives here. First, the sled has obviously been kept in pristine condition and not trashed (I’ve seen it happen with raffle sleds). Second, it was most likely bought by a person (apparently a JD member) that would have put in a pretty respectable bid in the first place had it been originally awarded in an auction rather than a raffle. If it sold for anywhere near the asking price, it should have a long and pampered life. As someone who has had some level of involvement in a similar project, that’s what you hope for.

All this being said, it would have been cool if there had been a thread in the Vintage Sledding section to let everyone know that the sled was going to be available for purchase, since so many of us followed the build from start to finish on this site.

Speaking of the 2013 Build thread, I don’t suppose there’s any way to resurrect that thread in the vintage section. I seem to recall that it had over 50,000 visits, which would have to make it one of the most popular threads of all time.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's hope she found a good home. But I gotta say that with all the attention that sled brought during the rebuild and the lead-up to the new owner they would have had a better offer by posting on J.D. Maybe fewer clicks than Bookface but a more targeted audience. But since a J.D. member is the new owner it's still a happy ending.

wirev

Maybe said buyer happened on the sled and just asked, "Would you sell it? I would like to run it in some vintage sled races/shows." Buyer thought "Why not, it's just sitting here" and sold it.

D

Deleted member 10829

Maybe said buyer happened on the sled and just asked, "Would you sell it? I would like to run it in some vintage sled races/shows." Buyer thought "Why not, it's just sitting here" and sold it.

They had if for sale on Facebook per the screenshot of the original post. Did you see that?

jebjk1

Snoluver1 knows me well enough to know that I’m the kind of guy that’s always thinking there’s a pony somewhere in the poop pile so he’s probably not surprised that I see a couple of positives here. First, the sled has obviously been kept in pristine condition and not trashed (I’ve seen it happen with raffle sleds). Second, it was most likely bought by a person (apparently a JD member) that would have put in a pretty respectable bid in the first place had it been originally awarded in an auction rather than a raffle. If it sold for anywhere near the asking price, it should have a long and pampered life. As someone who has had some level of involvement in a similar project, that’s what you hope for.

All this being said, it would have been cool if there had been a thread in the Vintage Sledding section to let everyone know that the sled was going to be available for purchase, since so many of us followed the build from start to finish on this site.

Speaking of the 2013 Build thread, I don’t suppose there’s any way to resurrect that thread in the vintage section. I seem to recall that it had over 50,000 visits, which would have to make it one of the most popular threads of all time.

This one? Over 131,000 views
http://forum.johndee.com/vbulletin/...-Wish-sled-restoration-project&highlight=Make

skiroule

Yep, that's it. Thanks much for digging it up!

Wow, 131,000 views, guess my memory is worse than I thought.

Hey Mark, if you ever check in here, any chance of getting this old thread moved to the vintage sled section as a sticky? Pretty fun to read through the whole story again. Definitely a good motivator for anyone considering or working on a vintage sled project.

snoluver1

Thanks for finding that jebjk1! I took some time to read through most of it again. Brings back a lot of memories, most good........some I think I chose to forget! Lol. Man I think I had blocked out what a roach that thing was when we started! What was I thinking?? Ha ha!

T

Tracker

I'm gonna put a bid on it.....try it out like dis....then RENT THAT SUCKER OUT this winter as per a members fantastic business plan I over read...LMAO

D

Deleted member 10829

Yep, that's it. Thanks much for digging it up!

Wow, 131,000 views, guess my memory is worse than I thought.

Hey Mark, if you ever check in here, any chance of getting this old thread moved to the vintage sled section as a sticky? Pretty fun to read through the whole story again. Definitely a good motivator for anyone considering or working on a vintage sled project.

Hey Kelly, been traveling lately and not on here much. I don't know how to do that but I know who to ask! :)

skiroule

Thanks Mark! jebjk1's post#15 has the link to the whole story behind the 2013 Make-A-Wish sled. Remarkable story with twists, turns, ups, downs, and a very good ending.