Mercer Trails to Open on Friday?

smokenjoe

Riders out again last night in Presque Isle. We attended the Sno-Bunnies Christmas party at the Outpost and a couple came in on sleds. They were not members of our club and were not sure which state they were in.?? I told them they were a couple of hundred yards into Wisconsin and they said they had just ridden in from Marenisco. Also said the trails were great. Getting really itchy to go for a trail ride but I don't want to be the jerk that can't follow rules.
I was there and saw you talking to them, that got out of there fairly quickly

smokenjoe

Hopefully they were ditch banging. 🤷‍♂️
The pea patch owner is the president of the snowmobile club, maybe he should have refused to serve them. There were sleds in front of that place at 11:30.
I live in Winchester, plenty of people riding the trails. Just goes to show you how these people aren’t informed about things up here, or they don’t belong to clubs or they will do what every they want because they spend a lot of money up here as they would say.

pclark

The pea patch owner is the president of the snowmobile club, maybe he should have refused to serve them. There were sleds in front of that place at 11:30.
I live in Winchester, plenty of people riding the trails. Just goes to show you how these people aren’t informed about things up here, or they don’t belong to clubs or they will do what every they want because they spend a lot of money up here as they would say.
Yes, All the bar owners and bartenders know the trails aren't open yet. Bad precedent being set.

rph130

I was there and saw you talking to them, that got out of there fairly quickly
I think they were uncomfortable when I told them it was our club party and we were not able to ride yet because the trails were closed. I do believe that they really did not know they were in Wisconsin.

tsg

Rode up in Mercer and Iron County Saturday and early Sunday. Absolutely packed but we were able to ride 130 miles and really did not not see too many riders. Yes, at Great Northern, bars in Mercer, and obviously Hurley, but on the actual trails not nearly as packed or as bad as we expected. Overall trails were good. Saw 2 groomers during the day Saturday and 3 Mercer groomers heading out early Saturday night. Overall trails better then expected and conditions definately justified opening.

On ride back to our cottage in Lakewood WI yesterday, saw almost every club from Mercer to there had panned or groomed. Further south and east you went, a little less snow but more ice from storm which caused trees, limbs, etc. to hinder already cleared trails, more Hwy 8 south. Northern Vilas more snow then east and south, but actually some good snow pockets in various areas.

Along 51, 47, and 8, minimal sled tracks, and did see Manitowish and other club groomers out. Sounds like Vilas this week, and with more snow as planned late week, fairly confident that most areas north of say HWY 64 will be open soon as well.

As for people riding closed trails, enough. Saw several no snowmobiling signs in Iron county, only to see tracks right next to them. same as we hear about in the UP.

I am not a redneck, but people need to report them or say something, especially in bars, restaurants, or obvious visible areas. Not knowing directions or your whereabouts show your true mentality and your lack of respect for others! Been snowmobiling my entire (59) life, and never have seen it as bad as it has gotten the past several years.

pclark

I guess the story is that they came off the lake (Rest Lake is right by Pea Patch) I did see some tracks out there so it's possible, wouldn't catch me on the lake yet, with all that wet snow there is a lot of slush under the snow, I found that out just walking out on our lake in front of our place, very wet under the snow. It should freeze up hopefully this week with pretty cold temps all week.