Merry Christmas...I've Got a Computer Problem

I have cable internet going to a modem and then to a wireless router and then back to my desktop computer.

The wireless works just fine, but I can not connect to the internet on my desktop.

I have tried to go directly from my modem to the desktop and no luck. I thought it might be an issue with my desktop, but no luck connecting to the laptop that way either. But again, no problem connecting wireless.

No luck connecting to my laptop with the cable coming from the router either.

Basically I have no issues with wireless, just with hardwired direct.

I apologize for my lack of technical terms, but I am hoping someone may have an idea.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Doug

dcsnomo

reboot everything...cable modem, router, pcs. When you shut the stuff off, count to 10 before turning on. Then turn it on modem, wait for all lights, router, wait for lights, then pc

It must be my desktop computer cause I was able to connect to my laptop with the cable from the modem. Any suggestions?

dcsnomo

If you go to
Start
Control Panel
Network and Internet

You will find a place to connect to the internet. I would try resetting the network connection here

booondocker

You need to tell your computer what type of connection you are making. You do not say what operating system you are using for the computer nor do you say if the desk top has wireless capabilities.

You should be able to connect directly from the router to your desk top unit, but there may be a setting that has to be made with your perhaps older operating system so that it knows how which way the feed to it will be.

Always reboot everything when making changes so that they can take affect.