Michigamme to Houghton

Fighting depression. Have a trip planned for Thursday through Monday this week. Rented a house and all. No refunds. Any chance the trails will hold up for at least Friday and Saturday?

Please talk me off the bridge...

mezz

I honestly cannot give you an opinion of Michigamme conditions, but, I can definitively say, here in the Keweenaw, you will have no issues, other than perhaps some light precip (drizzle) on Saturday. We've got plenty of good base snow & the conditions are good.:applouse::applouse: BTW, welcome to the board!-Mezz

I honestly cannot give you an opinion of Michigamme conditions, but, I can definitively say, here in the Keweenaw, you will have no issues, other than perhaps some light precip (drizzle) on Saturday. We've got plenty of good base snow & the conditions are good.:applouse::applouse: BTW, welcome to the board!-Mezz

Thanks. I've lurked for years, Love this site and the discussion board.

If nothing else we trailer closer to Keweenaw and ride out from there I guess.

T

Tracker

michigamme????? your kidding right? he gotta be kidding us all....??? whats it say quick?

up.jpg

mezz

Take a closer look at that map, keep in mind it's dated Jan 5th...... I know they have received snows since then, how much, I don't know. I have not been through there so I can't give him a "current" report for that area. The sure thing is right here in the KEE.-Mezz

Woodtic

Buds just road through La'nce yesterday . As long as it doesn't rain heavy,you will be fine. The areas you will be riding through have 3' of snow on the ground . La'nce,Baraga Plains ,Mt Arvon,ect. They may not be grooming Fri and Sat with the warm temps. Traffic should be low and groomed trails are over rated any way.

T

Tracker

Take a closer look at that map, keep in mind it's dated Jan 5th...... I know they have received snows since then, how much, I don't know. I have not been through there so I can't give him a "current" report for that area. The sure thing is right here in the KEE.-Mezz

see those HUGE BLACK LETTERS IN THAT PIC I POSTED.....that says....UPDATED JAN 17...did ya see that GRAMPS????? too funny MEZZ

icon_smile_crazy.gif

PS...its the blue 15 surrounded by...get this....30's....yo TIC....swamp was good too on back side of Arvin....there was some water and a moose on the trail....a big male...and he turned I thought he was gonna charge but then another sled stopped behind me and he ran off.....we was like 40 feet from each other....it was 3 feet deep easily and now is 4 1/2 up dare

Stack

see those HUGE BLACK LETTERS IN THAT PIC I POSTED.....that says....UPDATED JAN 17...did ya see that GRAMPS????? too funny MEZZ

View attachment 55629

PS...its the blue 15 surrounded by...get this....30's....yo TIC....swamp was good too on back side of Arvin....there was some water and a moose on the trail....a big male...and he turned I thought he was gonna charge but then another sled stopped behind me and he ran off.....we was like 40 feet from each other....it was 3 feet deep easily and now is 4 1/2 up dare

It was 47 in Baraga today, there were sleds on the trail behind Larry's market and the trails were holding their snow pretty well. There's just not that much snow in town to work with, definitely not 3 feet in town, maybe 12-18 or so at this point, so with the temps and potential rain it could get rough. I'll keep an eye on it and try to update as we get through the end of the week. It was nice building the snow up in the Banana Belt for a change, hope they can keep some of it and that liquid precip stays away!

frnash

… swamp was good too on back side of Arvin [sic] there was … a moose on the trail....a big male...and he turned I thought he was gonna charge but then another sled stopped behind me and he ran off.....we was like 40 feet from each other
FYI, I've heard this before from folks in Alaska: Moose are responsible for more attacks on people than the meanest, nastiest grizzly bears. :hororr:
But for y'all, I quote (emphasis is mine) from Wikipedia: (click →) Moose.
Aggression

"Moose are not usually aggressive towards humans, but can be provoked or frightened to behave with aggression. In terms of raw numbers, they attack more people than bears and wolves combined, but usually with only minor consequences. In the Americas, moose injure more people than any other wild mammal, and worldwide, only hippopotamuses injure more. When harassed or startled by people or in the presence of a dog, moose may charge. Also, as with bears or any wild animal, moose that have become habituated to being fed by people may act aggressively when denied food. During the fall mating season, bull moose may be aggressive toward humans because of the high hormone levels they experience. Cows with young calves are very protective and will attack humans who come too close, especially if they come between mother and calf. Unlike other dangerous animals, moose are not territorial, and do not view humans as food, and will therefore usually not pursue humans if they simply run away.

"Like any wild animal, moose are unpredictable and should be given a respectful amount of space. They are most likely to attack if annoyed or harassed, or if their "personal space" has been encroached upon. A moose that has been harassed may vent its anger on anyone in the vicinity, and they often do not make distinctions between their tormentors and innocent passers-by. Moose are very limber animals with highly flexible joints and sharp, pointed hooves, and are capable of kicking with both front and back legs. Unlike other large, hooved mammals, such as horses, moose can kick in all directions including sideways. Therefore, there is no safe side from which to approach. However, moose often give warning signs prior to attacking, displaying their aggression by means of body language. The maintaining of eye contact is usually the first sign of aggression, while laid-back ears or a lowered head is a definite sign of agitation. If the hairs on the back of the moose's neck and shoulders (hackles) stand up, a charge is usually imminent. The Anchorage Visitor Centers warn tourists that '...a moose with its hackles raised is a thing to fear.' "

T

Tracker

It was 47 in Baraga today, there were sleds on the trail behind Larry's market and the trails were holding their snow pretty well. There's just not that much snow in town to work with, definitely not 3 feet in town, maybe 12-18 or so at this point, so with the temps and potential rain it could get rough. I'll keep an eye on it and try to update as we get through the end of the week. It was nice building the snow up in the Banana Belt for a change, hope they can keep some of it and that liquid precip stays away!

we all know theres not 3 feet in town...theres concrete in town....is the cantina still in business???? and just remember the snowmobiliers mantra

THEY WILL ALWAYS MAKE MORE....WEAR BARS...WHEELS....SKIS...BEARINGS...WHATEVER

Stack

Well the snow is holding on the best it can, its pretty thin in town near the road, but the below freezing temps at night have helped along with the generally lower traffic in the Baraga area. Really hoping for some fresh snow next week!

-Stack

mezz

Yes sir, some freshies on top of this excellent base will be nice, & it will come. Be patient & don't wish too hard, look at what happened to willh, I think his arms may have fallen off mid December! LOL! BTW, where the **** is he really?:concern::concern: Have not heard a peep from him in over a month.... This break sure has been nice though, too many consecutive days of double duty.:beaten:-Mezz

Glad we came up

Yes sir, some freshies on top of this excellent base will be nice, & it will come. Be patient & don't wish too hard, look at what happened to willh, I think his arms may have fallen off mid December! LOL! BTW, where the **** is he really?:concern::concern: Have not heard a peep from him in over a month.... This break sure has been nice though, too many consecutive days of double duty.:beaten:-Mezz

Rode 8 Champion to L'Anse 14 to Big Bay 5 back to Champion. Got a touch wet at the end of day. Rode 5 south to 32 and back today. Let me just say... the groomers are AWESOME and thank you. And thank you Mezz. Appreciate the encouragement. We are potentially trailering to Houghton in the morning.

mezz

You're welcome, glad to hear you've had a good trip so far. It does look to be on the "damp" side in the early a.m. Sun, but ride should still be decent, at least things will still be loose enough to give you cooling to your sled(s) without any worries. Just loose on traction. Be safe, it's all good!-Mezz