Michigan ATV permit fees to double

uncle_ed

Looks like we are going to be paying more for atv permits in 2014 here in Michigan. I sure hope we see improvements/benefits because of the increase!

hb4669

L

lenny

what kind of improvements would you like to see? What benefits do you want? Just curious

Woodtic

I have no problem paying more,provided the $ goes towards orv trails. I would hate to see what the tax payers spent on no orv signage in the ONF. There has to be 10s of thousands of those things put up in the last few years. The trucks that drove around putting up those signs did more damage than the handful of atvs that may have passed through there on any given week. Just saying!!!

srt20

I have no problem paying more,provided the $ goes towards orv trails. I would hate to see what the tax payers spent on no orv signage in the ONF. There has to be 10s of thousands of those things put up in the last few years. The trucks that drove around putting up those signs did more damage than the handful of atvs that may have passed through there on any given week. Just saying!!!
So they take snow trail signs down and add more atv trail signs??? Hmm

garyl62

I have no problem paying more,provided the $ goes towards orv trails......

Here is what the bill says about that

FISCAL IMPACT:
The increase in fees under the bill's provisions is anticipated to generate approximately
$2.7 million annually in additional restricted funding. ORV license fees are
constitutionally required to be deposited into ORV-related restricted funds. From each
ORV license fee, $1 is deposited into the ORV Safety Education Fund which was created
by PA 17 of 1991 and is incorporated in Part 811 of NREPA. The Fund is used for ORV
safety education courses for youths under the age of 16. In addition, $0.25 from each
license is retained as a commission by the seller of the license. The remainder of the
license fee is deposited into the ORV Trail Improvement Fund which was created by PA
71 of 1990 and is now also incorporated within Part 811 of NREPA.
Expenditures from the ORV Trail Improvement Fund may be used for the improvement,
maintenance, and construction of ORV trails, leasing of land, restoration efforts from
ORV damage on public lands, and account administration. In FY 2012, the ORV Safety
Education Fund received approximately $197,000 in revenue from license sales and the
ORV Trail Improvement Fund received approximately $3.3 million

Now if this was happening in IL I'd so "so what, who cares what the bill says", but it seems like MI has a pretty good record of funding the trail system for sleds so I hope the same holds true in this area. Since the $1 safety ed fund, and the $0.25 commission are already being funded, I'd say the improvement fund should go from 3.3 million to 6 million with this increase. Not bad.

Woodtic

There are more no orv signs in the ONF than billboards on 294 . I can drive my 6000lb truck down these roads,but my atv,no- no-no. They must be looking out for my own safety,they don't want me run over by a 80,000lb logging truck. I would bet its easier to pull a permit to clear cut 200 acres,than put in 5 miles of Atv trails.

Woodtic

Thanks Gary for the link. Dealers out there? Isn't there a fee attached to every atv sold for safety training . I could be wrong.

mrsrunningbear

There are more no orv signs in the ONF than billboards on 294 . I can drive my 6000lb truck down these roads,but my atv,no- no-no. They must be looking out for my own safety,they don't want me run over by a 80,000lb logging truck. I would bet its easier to pull a permit to clear cut 200 acres,than put in 5 miles of Atv trails.

This Fee increase has nothing to do with the ONF. But I will say this....today the ONF has 100 people putting up signs showing where ATV CAN go. It will be interesting to see.

I am happy about the fee increase it is really needed, but I'm not happy with how the bill turned out. There has not been a fee increase since the program started. They should have been increasing this all along slowly but they didn't set plans to do that so now their making a big raise. The bill changed in the last 2 days before it was signed to make it a 2 tier program which I think is stupid!! They will have 1 sticker for people that won't ride on state funded trails and one for people who will ride on state trails. Who will know what to buy?? How will the CO's enforce this??

The fee for a license is as follows:
(a) For a license valid for the 12-month period beginning April 1, 2013, $16.25.
(b) For a license valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 and that does not authorize operation of the ORV on state ORV trails, $26.25.
(c) For a license valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 and that authorizes operation of the ORV on state ORV trails, $36.25.

uncle_ed

what kind of improvements would you like to see? What benefits do you want? Just curious
Create an orv scramble area closer to metro Detroit similar to Silver Lake and the mounds. Open more trails to orv usage with better access to campgrounds and motels.

mezz

This Fee increase has nothing to do with the ONF. But I will say this....today the ONF has 100 people putting up signs showing where ATV CAN go. It will be interesting to see.

I am happy about the fee increase it is really needed, but I'm not happy with how the bill turned out. There has not been a fee increase since the program started. They should have been increasing this all along slowly but they didn't set plans to do that so now their making a big raise. The bill changed in the last 2 days before it was signed to make it a 2 tier program which I think is stupid!! They will have 1 sticker for people that won't ride on state funded trails and one for people who will ride on state trails. Who will know what to buy?? How will the CO's enforce this??

The fee for a license is as follows:
(a) For a license valid for the 12-month period beginning April 1, 2013, $16.25.
(b) For a license valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 and that does not authorize operation of the ORV on state ORV trails, $26.25.
(c) For a license valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 and that authorizes operation of the ORV on state ORV trails, $36.25.
Based on this information, if one were to purchase the permit for State ORV trails, is that an all encompassing permit which allows operation on ALL ORV Trails to include State ORV trails?, or are these 2 separate permits?-Mezz

mrsrunningbear

Based on this information, if one were to purchase the permit for State ORV trails, is that an all encompassing permit which allows operation on ALL ORV Trails to include State ORV trails?, or are these 2 separate permits?-Mezz

There is no answer to your question yet mezz as we/MI-TRALE have already asked the same question and several others to Senator Casperson with no answers yet as they are all on summer break now. Seems they might have passed this bill (which we needed passed) a little fast and now have some work to do on it. I do think what you are saying is what the 36.25 permit will do

This will be interesting as it gets closer to April 2014 It will be impossible for the store owner to know how to instruct a purchaser which one to buy! Will the store owner need 2 machines now with 2 different color sticker materials? It all seems like a very confusing mess at this point.

mezz

Thank you MrsRB, I guess we'll have to wait & see. To me, it would make sense to just have one permit that covers all area's of riding rather than 2 separate permits. I realize that the increased price is going to cause issues with some, but, I guess that's the price we will have to pay to play, just like the sleds trail permits. To me, it's a small price to pay in order to keep things open & maintained.-Mezz

opt8low

The one question I have right now, being that I purchase the ORV permit every year, is will I be able to ride the ORV State funded trails north of Calumet in the upcoming years? Because as of right now I can't ride those trails on my highway licensed and ORV permitted Dual Sport motorcycle. I can up to that point but not north of Calumet. This is my understanding at this time but I could be and usually am wrong.

Hopefully with this fee increase we can stop closing trails to curtain types of ORV's. If we all pay the permit price we should be able to ride all trails funded by the permit.

Just my 2 cents,

Dana

L

lenny

Create an orv scramble area closer to metro Detroit similar to Silver Lake and the mounds. Open more trails to orv usage with better access to campgrounds and motels.

that's very specific but it's it a good answer. Right now we are just getting enough trails for decent riding. I applaud those who have achieved what they have in a short period of time. Maybe at some point you will see something like that in your area.

Woodtic

I would also like to applaud those that have gotten done thus far. I can't imagine having to deal with Feds,county's ,state,and private land owners,just to put in a connector trail.

L

lenny

I would also like to applaud those that have gotten done thus far. I can't imagine having to deal with Feds,county's ,state,and private land owners,just to put in a connector trail.

yup, the Runningbears do an incredible amount of work, their my hero's! I'm gonna joint their club real soon and that's a promise. we need to get a membership rally going, not to side track the thread but how bought it! Who else is willing to support a club?

Go Fast or Go Home

I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person----However I can't seem to make rhyme or reason what areas I can ride and which areas I can't. I'll be going along and all of a sudden the ORV trail is a snowmobile trail or some road that is prohibited, or I crossed into Federal land without knowing it.

This is why ORV tourism isn't as popular as snowmobiling. I live in lower Michigan, but a lot of my friends from Illinois will not come to Michigan and ride, and I do not ride up North anymore.

I would have no problem with any permit fee increase if a well defined trail system would be established Statewide.

I applaud the efforts of Mi-Trale and for this reason I always pay my membership and also contribute a few extra dollars.

mezz

The one question I have right now, being that I purchase the ORV permit every year, is will I be able to ride the ORV State funded trails north of Calumet in the upcoming years? Because as of right now I can't ride those trails on my highway licensed and ORV permitted Dual Sport motorcycle. I can up to that point but not north of Calumet. This is my understanding at this time but I could be and usually am wrong.

Hopefully with this fee increase we can stop closing trails to curtain types of ORV's. If we all pay the permit price we should be able to ride all trails funded by the permit.

Just my 2 cents,

Dana
Dana, the trail north of Calumet is a "DNR Endorsed" trail with sections of the trail that are "Keweenaw ATV Club Sponsored", as I understand this, neither are "State Funded" or "DNR Designated". This trail was put together by the Keweenaw ATV Club in coordination with Private Property owners whom have requested that the trail be specifically restricted to ATV & Side by Side use ONLY, no 2 wheel ORV.-Mezz

opt8low

Thanks for the reply Mezz.

That makes a little more sense as to why it is blocked off to me as a Dual Sport rider.

Just sort of makes me mad that a ATV club would promote NOT allowing another form of ORV from using the trails. It is sort of like saying a snowmobile with only one ski is not allowed on the snowmobile trail, but one with two skis is.....

Just some more of my 2 cents,

Dana