Michigan dnr adding new trails

dfattack

The map appears to be sections of 14 east of L'Anse over to Big Bay and then sections of 5 down to Koski, Trail 8 by Michigamme and the trail between Marquette and Big Bay. I don't think Baraga grooms any of them. These are trails that are usually well kept and looks to only secure their future use going forward limiting the amount of potential issues between land owners and the clubs.

whitedust

The map appears to be sections of 14 east of L'Anse over to Big Bay and then sections of 5 down to Koski, Trail 8 by Michigamme and the trail between Marquette and Big Bay. I don't think Baraga grooms any of them. These are trails that are usually well kept and looks to only secure their future use going forward limiting the amount of potential issues between land owners and the clubs.
Lots of 14 to Big Bay is in and out of logging areas and are plowed maybe that condition can be bipassed.

Hoosier

This is great news. When the MI trail permits were increased up to $45 or whatever it was from $20, a good chunk of that was set aside for easement purchases. MI govt has been slow to use those funds, so it's great when these investments are made. They are paid straight from the permit funds, if I understand correctly.

SHOOT2KILL

Yep... Nothing new, just a change in ownership...Most of the areas on the map are more than likely never going to be conducive to logging operations...#14 east of Lanse is probably the most desolate trail in the entire Yoop...Almost 60 miles of nothing...The section of #8 near Michigamme is rock infested, and at times during low snow amounts is practically unrideable...The section of #5 is also not conducive to logging...Been on all of those trails several times over the years...

SHOOT2KILL

Shoot2kill are you a northsider or south? I grew up in Edison Park, one of the few safe places left.
Born in Oak Park...Moved to So Wi from Elmhurst in 2009...My fathers side of the family has been in Elmwood Pk since 1933...76th av along the eastside of "The Circle"...My aunt and cousin still live in that same house...

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Shoot2kill are you a northsider or south? I grew up in Edison Park, one of the few safe places left.
Still nearly 90% white folk there...Quite a feat for Chi-Town these days...I'll assume your a Hawks Fan...Had many friends who were former Hawk players that lived in the Elmhurst/Oak Brook area...#35 was a close drinking buddy from back in the early/mid 1980's...

heckler56

My thought was same really Baraga so more trails they won’t groom. But at least it is owned by dnr now and not private landowner.
The “purchase” was only easements rights and not the property thus avoiding some future issues like eastern UP experienced on trail 2 this year where new property owners needed to be addressed. I suspect these will continue to be logged over years.

whitedust

You want logging stopped?
Nope no idea where you got that interpretation. When snowmobiling I prefer to bipass plowed to the ground trails for logging trucks. Always on my best behavior thru logging zones a stroke of a pen and logging companies can chase snowmobiles out. I give logging equipment all the time and room to do their jobs same as groomers. Suggest everyone respect time and distance to logging equipment since so much at stake for us as a group. Hopefully this is clear as sooo important to keep snowmobile trails open.

goofy600

The “purchase” was only easements rights and not the property thus avoiding some future issues like eastern UP experienced on trail 2 this year where new property owners needed to be addressed. I suspect these will continue to be logged over years.
Yes you are correct and I misread it at first but real point to be taken is long term lease assures trails we be there. Not like what is happening in many areas in Wisconsin where they are always having to come up with reroutes because landowners closing there properties.