Michigan Trail Pass and Home State Registration

snowdance

After a hiatus for a year, our group is taking a trip to the UP for a mostly off trail trip. We will be buying the Michigan trail pass. My question is this. I'm currently unregistered in my home state of Wisconsin. Is it necessary to pay the Wisconsin registration for a weekend trip to the UP? Ultimately, if I get pulled over in Michigan. Is having the Michigan trail pass good enough or is it a requirement to be registered in Wisconsin and would they check that? TIA

old abe

Your sled needs to have a valid registration, and the MI trail pass. Registration in either your home state, or Michigan to legally ride in MI.

1fujifilm

After a hiatus for a year, our group is taking a trip to the UP for a mostly off trail trip. We will be buying the Michigan trail pass. My question is this. I'm currently unregistered in my home state of Wisconsin. Is it necessary to pay the Wisconsin registration for a weekend trip to the UP? Ultimately, if I get pulled over in Michigan. Is having the Michigan trail pass good enough or is it a requirement to be registered in Wisconsin and would they check that? TIA

Yes, 200%.
I had the same run in about 5 years ago and had to see the Magistrate in Valkenvania, you font want to go there.

Bear

snowdance

Interesting, The DNR website shows i'm registered through June of 2018, yet the last registration stickers expired last year I believe, if not the year before that.

Pmknman

I buy the Michigan trail sticker that’s it haven’t registered sleds in years.... never ride in wi... I have been stopped and the 108 buck ticket is way cheaper than 10 years of registration fees from wi... wouldn’t recommend what I do but that’s how I roll...