• Resident in favor of a daily or weekend permit being offered

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Non-resident in favor of just an annual permit

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Non-resident in favor of a daily or weekend permit being offered

Votes: 47 46.1%

• Total voters

Woodtic

Sorry,your guess is wrong. More and more places don't deal with Mi.,DNR .5 years ago I could go to 4 to 5 places nearby for a permit. I now have to go over 30 miles to get any DNR permit/license.

cmillertime

first off how many of us im included have a sled we spent 10000 on? me and me yup got 2. If you spent that much on your sled who gives a rats beep what the cost of the trail permit is, whether its one day, a week, season you dont get one you arent riding a whole lot then. Unless northern wi gets a climate change and everyone can ride there instead, your riding in the UP because thats where the snow is!!!!! Supply and demand you want it how much you willing to pay 45 bucks is cheap. If they raise it to a 100 what you going to do sit at home and wax that new sled or you going to suck it up and buy the pass and ride!!!!! For those of you who will say its just getting too expensive i say try boating out, sledding will be a drop in the bucket compared to it. o yes sell the sled buy an atv then, youll be putting more seat time on that plowing the driveway than finding a trail to actually ride it on. If i was prez of MSA id charge 100 bucks for the first permit and 50 bucks for each sled you personally own after, so dad has sled 100, wifes sled 50, both kids sleds 50 as long as they are all in dads names not one being uncle joes too. family of 4 costs 250 for the yr. big deal, how much is family time worth, thats one brewer game youll miss for an entire sledding season. Get over it people balls. btw id be interested to see how many of us would pay 1000 bucks for a lifetime sledding pass now that would be interesting. I know my whole Team would do it thats 7 of us right there.

polarisrider1

first off how many of us im included have a sled we spent 10000 on? me and me yup got 2. If you spent that much on your sled who gives a rats beep what the cost of the trail permit is, whether its one day, a week, season you dont get one you arent riding a whole lot then. Unless northern wi gets a climate change and everyone can ride there instead, your riding in the UP because thats where the snow is!!!!! Supply and demand you want it how much you willing to pay 45 bucks is cheap. If they raise it to a 100 what you going to do sit at home and wax that new sled or you going to suck it up and buy the pass and ride!!!!! For those of you who will say its just getting too expensive i say try boating out, sledding will be a drop in the bucket compared to it. o yes sell the sled buy an atv then, youll be putting more seat time on that plowing the driveway than finding a trail to actually ride it on. If i was prez of MSA id charge 100 bucks for the first permit and 50 bucks for each sled you personally own after, so dad has sled 100, wifes sled 50, both kids sleds 50 as long as they are all in dads names not one being uncle joes too. family of 4 costs 250 for the yr. big deal, how much is family time worth, thats one brewer game youll miss for an entire sledding season. Get over it people balls. btw id be interested to see how many of us would pay 1000 bucks for a lifetime sledding pass now that would be interesting. I know my whole Team would do it thats 7 of us right there.

I would pay for a lifetime trail pass if it was a grand. I paid for a lifetime MSA membership back in 1985 and it has paid itself back ten fold, so A lifetime trail pass is a no brainer.
I do like the idea of a family discount, with dad at $100 and the rest at $50.

Not sure why but the word "Bell curve" keeps popping into my mind with this discussion.

Woodtic

Like the old girl friend ,one more time and never again! I
Want a daily pass for Wis.My family wants to pop down and have lunch.where can I pick this pass up? Come on,what do you mean ,they don't have them?I want the option.I don't want to register all of these sleds in Wis.I just want to ride for the day and have lunch.Think of all the $ the state is missing out on my groups lunch!

D

Deleted member 10829

For those that want a daily or weekend pass, how do you plan to monitor it? I just see it as a logistical nightmare and impossible to implement.

russholio

For those that want a daily or weekend pass, how do you plan to monitor it? I just see it as a logistical nightmare and impossible to implement.

The same way that permits are monitored now. Will there be cheats? Yes, of course. Are there cheats now? Yes, of course. Plain and simple, there is not enough law enforcement presence on the trails to catch every cheater. I've been riding for 18 years and can count on two hands or less, the number of times I've seen LEO's out patrolling the trails.

To me, it's real easy. Temporary permit, white. Or whatever color, but whatever it is, it should be reserved exclusively and consistently for temporary permits. Let's say we make them valid for 3 days. Pay $25. On the permit write the valid dates with a permanent marker. IF a LEO should see a white permit, he knows it's temporary. He checks the dates for which it is valid, and responds accordingly. If at some time during the season this particular user should want another temp, then he/she can buy another for another $25, at which point he/she would have been better off buying the season permit.

Maybe it wouldn't be cost-effective, which nobody has any way of knowing without studying it. But if it is, and it boosts sagging permit sales, then why not try?

Last edited:

dcfroe

I live in Illinois and if I am lucky I get to ride maybe 6 days a year in the UP. HOWEVER, I realize it costs a bunch of money to keep up the equipment used to groom and maintain the trails. If you look at how much money we spend for our hobby what the heck are you concerned about at spending $45 a year per permit. I buy 2 each year and even if I have 6 sleds for an entire family it is a very low cost when you look at everything. I am willing to be most people spend that much over a weekend at home.....

POLARISDAN

this is hilarious..we just went thru this with a 3 day 7 page thread..im lmao..everybody should read the other thread start to finish..there is no answer to this question

Hoosier

Simple - make the temporary permit a 6 inch tall Detroit Lions helmet sticker or look like a big "Hope and Change" campaign bumper sticker. I assume only out-of-staters will be buying the temp permits and no one will want to leave those on their sleds after they expired.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
What happened to Pitch? Why is his status, "Banned".

Could not play nice. I gave him a friendly warning and he decided to disregard it (in a different thread and the offending posts have either been removed or edited).

-John

jccams

I just shake my head, it's $45 bucks. I spend that for gas in the truck one way or a gallon of oil. Like has been said before if ya can't afford a $45 dollar trail permit I think you need to look at a different sport.IMHO

chords

Everyone spends varying amounts "on our sport". I personaly always had 2 sleds, but sold 1 last year. Granted I'm not into riding as most on here, but have owned and been ridin for 40 plus years buying used and keeping them for years and spent/spend very little each year. A few belts , plugs, reg ,,,,, I dont own $13,000 sleds,a trailer or tow and have the luxury of riding from a garage from a N MI cottage. There are no State trails. We ride the lake or 2 tracks thru the hills. I still consider myself a snowmobiler. I dont buy permits anymore, because I use it pretty much now for ice fishing.

So I consider $45 (or $90 ) to be a big deal for limited non trail use.

durphee

I will try this one more time,it's like a old girl friend that keeps reappearing . It's all about dollars and cents.there seems to be a few ,or many that want to jump over the border from Wis, for a day or two of riding.Thats great,what are you willing to pay? It cost money to proses any permit. Not to mention, who is going to sell them? It's hard enough to find a permit now. If a vender sells them at 45$,they get a buck. If they take a credit card,that 45$ sale ,just cost them$.I think a lot of people forget that the UP is part of lower Mi. Not to many people looking for a day permit down that way.I just don't see the state gaining from a daily pass. I know,you are going to buy lunch and some gas.They want you to spend more. Do you see anyone lobbying for a daily permit for Wis.or Ind.,they both border Mi?Whats in it for the state of Mi?

I personally enjoy that old girlfriend re appearing, I think she does also! :)

polarisrider1

Interesting how this poll is panning out.....resident vs. nonresident.

As you know it will be biased since those who live in Michigan really have nothing to gain from it.
As a business owner I truly understand that you only get so much pie and it can only be divided into so many pcs. The trails need money , ridership is down, the pie is getting smaller.

Also I know you can only realistically have1 or 2 not 3 of the following: 1. High quality 2. low price 3. great service. Even Walmart has not mastered this.

renegade

A weekend pass would most likely result in more permits sold, but not an increase in revenue. The fact is $45 is what it costs to maintain the trails, like it or not. If you are from Wisconsin, you should already know this, because we need a $45 a year per sled permit, or registration, to make up the deficit Wisconsin has every year. The numbers don't lie! If you don't understand what I'm saying, you are not involved enough and should take the time learn what is takes to have a trail and maintain it, groom it, etc.

einne

Also I know you can only realistically have1 or 2 not 3 of the following: 1. High quality 2. low price 3. great service. Even Walmart has not mastered this.

i can provide all 3. just sayin