Mileage: Munising to Paradise

snipes517

So, planning a day ride starting in Munising to Grand Marais to Paradise to Newberry to Senye back to Munising.
Any input on what mileage will be? We are thinking around 250

buddah2

So, planning a day ride starting in Munising to Grand Marais to Paradise to Newberry to Seney back to Munising. Any input on what mileage will be? We are thinking around 250

My gut says you're a tad low on your estimate......maybe some guys that have actually done that loop will chime in....
Wetmore to Tahquamenon Falls and back is right at 170 with no side trips........

heckler56

Our mileage for the same run(except Seney) from 16 Mile Lake is 330. 16 Mile Lake is about 15 miles from Wetmore, so call it 300 round trip from Wetmore making that circle. The area along the shoreline where they had the large fire several years ago is eerie.

buddah2

Our mileage for the same run(except Seney) from 16 Mile Lake is 330. 16 Mile Lake is about 15 miles from Wetmore, so call it 300 round trip from Wetmore making that circle. The area along the shoreline where they had the large fire several years ago is eerie.

But 16 Mile Lake is WEST (and south) of Wetmore......all the other places are east.......how can it possibly be shorter?

(There's not 2 16 Mile Lakes within 25 miles of each other, is there?)

snipes517

so not sure if this is what you are referring to, but we aren't actually planning on going to Newberry, just towards newborn to catch 9 to 492 head back towards grand marais to 43 (i believe it is) then take that back to 8

Last edited:

buddah2

so not sure if this is what you are referring to, but we aren't actually planning on going to Newberry, just towards newborn to catch 9 and head back towards grand marais to 43 (i believe it is) then take that back to 8

If you're not going into Newberry or Seney then your original guess is closer......but I would suspect you're going to have to hit one of them......no gas out on the trails..........

snipes517

we would be going through Seyne, we have never gone this way before so excuse me if I'm little confusing lol but from what we are seeing on maps we are going to cut off before Newberry and go through Seyne to get back to 8

rayone02

Did that trip several times depends what way you go. Paradise to Munising taking trail 8 has changed over by Rainbow lodge it may be quicker now. It was 280 miles when taking 8 thru Grand Maria then to Wetmore.

buddah2

we would be going through Seyne, we have never gone this way before so excuse me if I'm little confusing lol but from what we are seeing on maps we are going to cut off before Newberry and go through Seyne to get back to 8

It's Seney.......and make certain you're not there too late or might have a problem finding gas.....

heckler56

But 16 Mile Lake is WEST (and south) of Wetmore......all the other places are east.......how can it possibly be shorter?

(There's not 2 16 Mile Lakes within 25 miles of each other, is there?)

You are correct, 16 Mile Lake is 15ish miles west of Wetmore. Our round trip is 330 miles to TFalls if we go 8 thru Grand Marais to Paridise and south through Newberry catching 9/45 to 443 (?) to 43 back to 8.

We get gas at Grand Marais, Pine Stump, Paradise, Redz, Melstrand or Shington.

heckler56

Thanks for the info guys, were planning on leaving early so hopefully we dont run into any issues with gas!!

A couple of guys we run with have smaller tanks (7 Gallons). The Pine Stump, Redz, and Melstrand can close earlier in the evening (just FYI if the day goes long for you). Assuming you have 10 gallon tanks you should not have issues. If Redz or Pine Stump is closed or out of fuel, you can ride the road to the other one if you don't feel you can make it. Enjoy.

Another good trip from Munising is to Big Bay.

phil4snow

ok question about this area as I was there this weekend. We left Grand Marais and headed east on trail 8 to head to Paradise. We hang a left at the first T and said right was 3 miles to Pine Stump. So we head left to continue onto Paradise. We get to the next T. trail 8 goes right with a sign saying Grand Maris is right and 29 miles away. We just traveled 37 miles from GM. Also said Pine stump was 8.5 miles. So we said well crap and pull out GPS to confirm location. How can GM be 29 miles away when we left on the only trail out of there and clocked 37 miles. So we continue down 8 to the right (left had a 8 but an ATV 8) about 1/4 miles or so and find another T and that has a sign back the other way saying Paradise 33 mile or so. How the heck can trail 8 go 3 directions. Trail maps didnt even show this T. Eastern UP signage is terrible. Does a guy really have to pull out a map at every intersection b/c the signs don't help? Am I missing something here? We saw a couple sleds getting towed and when we saw them they had about 30 miles to go to closest spot. I would not want to be in that Deer park/Forest fire area in a heavy lake effect snow event.

heckler56

ok question about this area as I was there this weekend. We left Grand Marais and headed east on trail 8 to head to Paradise. We hang a left at the first T and said right was 3 miles to Pine Stump. So we head left to continue onto Paradise. We get to the next T. trail 8 goes right with a sign saying Grand Maris is right and 29 miles away. We just traveled 37 miles from GM. Also said Pine stump was 8.5 miles. So we said well crap and pull out GPS to confirm location. How can GM be 29 miles away when we left on the only trail out of there and clocked 37 miles. So we continue down 8 to the right (left had a 8 but an ATV 8) about 1/4 miles or so and find another T and that has a sign back the other way saying Paradise 33 mile or so. How the heck can trail 8 go 3 directions. Trail maps didnt even show this T. Eastern UP signage is terrible. Does a guy really have to pull out a map at every intersection b/c the signs don't help? Am I missing something here? We saw a couple sleds getting towed and when we saw them they had about 30 miles to go to closest spot. I would not want to be in that Deer park/Forest fire area in a heavy lake effect snow event.

I think I know exactly where that is. We did the same thing a couple years back.

I heard Trail 8 south of Paridise, or Newberry is closed? (That is what they said last night on the news)

buddah2

I think I know exactly where that is. We did the same thing a couple years back.

I heard Trail 8 south of Paridise, or Newberry is closed? (That is what they said last night on the news)

That is correct......somebody posted a pic on FB this morning.......a SERIOUS mudhole with no apparent way around it.......no way to tell how deep...........

Not sure about specific location......somewhere in Chippewa county..........

sweeperguy

That is correct......somebody posted a pic on FB this morning.......a SERIOUS mudhole with no apparent way around it.......no way to tell how deep...........

Not sure about specific location.....somewhere in Chippewa county..........

About 1.5 miles south of Paradise on trail 8

sweeperguy

so will we have to do a different route to make our loop?

You should be okay 8 between Gr. Marais and Paradise is open. It's south of Paradise is the closure. Then you'd take 45 out of Paradise to go towards Newberry, to get to 9.

Last edited:

1fujifilm

So, planning a day ride starting in Munising to Grand Marais to Paradise to Newberry to Senye back to Munising.
Any input on what mileage will be? We are thinking around 250

Hello,
I did the ride yesterday with the following observations;
-It is 275.5 miles from the Wetmore Americinn with a stop for gas in Grand Marais to the "Gastro Pub in Paradise" and back to Wetmore with no stop in Grand Marais on the return trip. That is taking 8 from Wetmore to 89 and back to 8 all the way to Paradise.
-We left Wetmore at 8:30 AM Tuesday morning and returned at 5:10 PM taking time for a few pictures of the Lake and a one hour lunch in Paradise.
-The trails were decent on the way out pretty much all the way and were shot on the way back once you left 89 to get back on 8 towards Wetmore. It was the worst 80ish miles I have ridden in years. I am surprised as traffic seemed low, I really do not have a reason and don't blame the groomer.
-There is no gas in Shingleton anymore.

That is about it, Bear

heckler56

Hello,
I did the ride yesterday with the following observations;
-It is 275.5 miles from the Wetmore Americinn with a stop for gas in Grand Marais to the "Gastro Pub in Paradise" and back to Wetmore with no stop in Grand Marais on the return trip. That is taking 8 from Wetmore to 89 and back to 8 all the way to Paradise.
-We left Wetmore at 8:30 AM Tuesday morning and returned at 5:10 PM taking time for a few pictures of the Lake and a one hour lunch in Paradise.
-The trails were decent on the way out pretty much all the way and were shot on the way back once you left 89 to get back on 8 towards Wetmore. It was the worst 80ish miles I have ridden in years. I am surprised as traffic seemed low, I really do not have a reason and don't blame the groomer.
-There is no gas in Shingleton anymore.

That is about it, Bear

Hi Bear,
So the restaurant in Shingleton does not have gas?
thanks