Millie's Surgery

rtrypwr

Hi John ~ I know you've probably had a lot of information given to you about Millie's up coming surgery and all. I wish her and your family well, these days its a pretty routine process.

Our German Shorthaired Pointer went through 2 CCL surgery's in the past two years. They say with one usually comes the other if it is not caught quick enough and sometimes it is just genetics.

Here is a great group with a TON of info that helped my wife and I get through all the questions and problems. We had a 'modified' traditional surgery done with Cooper.

http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/orthodogs

timo

Hi John ~ I know you've probably had a lot of information given to you about Millie's up coming surgery and all. I wish her and your family well, these days its a pretty routine process.

Our German Shorthaired Pointer went through 2 CCL surgery's in the past two years. They say with one usually comes the other if it is not caught quick enough and sometimes it is just genetics.

Here is a great group with a TON of info that helped my wife and I get through all the questions and problems. We had a 'modified' traditional surgery done with Cooper.

http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/orthodogs

my pointer has had two acl surgeries also. the vet says that is the breed of dog and is common in pointers.

rtrypwr

Interesting our vet never mentioned anything about GSPs being prone to it. We had 3 different vets take a look before we decided.

We went traditional because the TPLO they have to cut the bone and the chance of bone cancer from infection raises rather then the other two options we were given. Plus our vet is much more holistic then the one that recommended the TPLO. Our GSP is 6.5 years old and is pretty long legged for the breed at least compared to most that we have seen.

Biggest issue with us was to keep him calm. The second one we had done last summer got infected about 2 weeks into it and put us back on the rehab. We pretty much had to start from scratch. We also take him in for chiropratic adjustments every other month because his tail was docked too short, and he favors one side sometimes while sitting....

LoveMyDobe

stem cell

This is probably to late to inform you as Millie has probably had her surgery, but my acupuncture vet in DesMoines Ia does stem cell surgery. It cost maybe 2 to 3 thousand. He takes healthy cells from the dog and overnights it to CA. They send it back to him and he injects it back into the needed area. Less invasive, quick recovery. He has had great results. My dog tore her acl years ago, but not bad enough for any type of surgery. he gave us a chinese herbal pills and she quit limping in a week. She is now almost 12 and still on them. Also has spondylosis and it helps with that. Guess those china people know more than us! Just a thought....